Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19842 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »

Is this still going to happen?

I'm almost done...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 03:29:26 pm »

Just a small inspiration to share... There's no reason why you couldn't, say, lock all your picks and anvils in the vault when it shuts. Short of a lucky caravan or miner immigrant arriving with a pick, you deprive mining capabilities to any who seek to crack the vault before it opens. That makes natural stone an impassible barrier.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:42 pm »

Reclaim can have picks.

Anyway, I'm done- where should I upload it/is this even going to happen? Did anyone else make a vault?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »

Drat, I forgot the 'reclaim' part. Well, it was a thought.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 04:36:03 pm »

The safest vault a dwarf can build:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But there's no fun in a vault like that.

Send a dwarf up to the second highest level as a soldier, then undraft him. Orchestrate a cave in to kill the goblins, or else build a drawbridge, drop the artifact on it, then deconstruct it to drop the item to the ground. Of course this assumes that the level with the artifact has walls to deconstruct for building materials and no goblin to scare the dwarf.

Alternatively, if the tower was not built up to the sky, a cave in could be arranged above the tower to drop the floor through the goblins.

Properly constructed though I can see this being impossible to crack.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2009, 04:42:27 pm »

Would there be goblins on every single level, though? Surely you could build up to where they aren't and insert troops that way?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »

I'm probably being stupid somehow, but what is wrong with sending military dwarves up? They will break the windows, sure, but the will probably bring a few goblins with them. Repeat until every goblin is gone... Right?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2009, 05:16:01 pm »

I'm probably being stupid somehow, but what is wrong with sending military dwarves up? They will break the windows, sure, but the will probably bring a few goblins with them. Repeat until every goblin is gone... Right?
No stairs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2009, 06:20:48 pm »

Well, done and uploaded. There were one or two mistakes in the construction that I can't reverse, including chiefly a trap that doesn't work. Also the last room is flooded, which I didn't mean it to be (deal with it).

It will be impossible to get in without building things, I assure you- or kudos if you figure out some way to do so that I didn't guess.

Save

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »

Thanks for the submissions, I've got two that I need to put up in the first post.

Well, done and uploaded. There were one or two mistakes in the construction that I can't reverse, including chiefly a trap that doesn't work. Also the last room is flooded, which I didn't mean it to be (deal with it).

It will be impossible to get in without building things, I assure you- or kudos if you figure out some way to do so that I didn't guess.

Save
Did you have any mods installed sensei? When I tried to play your fortress, i was greeting by an error saying "missing CAT_MOUTH".
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2009, 03:38:58 pm »

No, no mods. I might have fouled something up when I installed 40d13 over 40d, but I thought I was pretty careful.

CAT_MOUTH is in your bodygloss, no?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2009, 04:00:37 pm »

Thanks for the submissions, I've got two that I need to put up in the first post.

Save
Did you have any mods installed sensei? When I tried to play your fortress, i was greeting by an error saying "missing CAT_MOUTH".
Put this into body_default.txt
Code: [Select]
[BODY:CAT_MOUTH]
[BP:CAT_MOUTH:mouth][CONTYPE:HEAD][MOUTH][SMALL][EMBEDDED][APERTURE][GRASP]
Then change the mouth body part on the cat to CAT_MOUTH. It's a fix from Mayday Mike's tileset that allows cats to put vermin into the refuse stockpile so you don't get too injured messages spam.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »

CAT_MOUTH is from the Mayday tileset, isn't it?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2009, 09:39:12 pm »

Toady's own fix to that particular bug, actually.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2009, 09:40:12 pm »

Anyway, that seems to be settled- just use the mayday version of the bodygloss.

Have there been attempts to break into anyone's vault yet?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12