Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19798 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 07:15:33 pm »

And a giant artifact cut stone. (Arkenstone)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 09:46:13 pm »

Full Deconstruction: Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân

Deep beneath the earth lies one of the most prized Dwarven treasures: the legendary Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân.

It is not known why or how the vault was sealed deep underground, but the horrific history speaks for itself. At the time of the sealing there was a rebellion, lead by dwarves unhappy with their leaders. Only misery followed. The great treasure buried, the dwarven fortress of Sob́restân dwindled, and is only a shadow of the great kingdom it used to be.

Vault is on the bottom level of map, and has been sunk into multiple levels of water. Simple drainage and pumping may not suffice, as the water source is the river that runs nearby. Also, all (?) mining equipment were lost in the "rebellion" (tantrum spiral), that followed several deaths by accidents (including drowning, falling from heights and being hit by heavy objects). But do not despair! You have an anvil in your stockpiles!

Number of Urists Killed During Vault Sealing Process: 6 (+lots, lots of animals)
Number of Seasons Taken: Lost count

I know, I know, I know...not mind bogglingly complex, but forgive me! This is only "full deconstruction" -design that I can think of, that can't be broken by simple mining operation :-[ And hopefully this'll get the thread started!

Screenshots:
Vault itself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
X-Y levels up:
Things already got quite messy..

I'm happy to see that you've tested your own vault. When you're ready, can you upload a save file for me (and others) to play with?
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »

I'm not sure I understand how this works. Are you going to try and reach the vault as an adventurer or build your way to it in fortress mode or what?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 12:41:56 am »

Build, hence the deconstruction.

It seems a near impossible task, really, for the full deconstruction, though I favour building collapsing the map save a single spire upon which the fortress rests, and then filling the entire map from the lowest to the highest z-level with magma. A massive windmill array on the topmost floor and an epic pump stack shall be required. And an epic computer so as to avoid death from FPS deprivation.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 02:08:37 am »

I'm too lazy to actually make this but:

Vault build in bottomless pit and suspended by one support. Possibly pool of magma enclosed above.
All open sides "contain" bridges but they are retracted and the lever used to retract them has been deconstructed or is within the vault and the puller has been killed.

Presuming it all works the way I think it does there's still a relatively low effort way in but I want to see if anyone else can think of it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 02:11:01 am »

I propose you have an entry for adventure mode breakins, with the only stipulation being that the vault HAS to be able to be broken into, no matter how complicated the system to do so may be and no matter how many lives it may take to do so.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 12:28:05 pm »

From Shoku's description, it sounds like the diagonals aren't covered.

Self destructing vaults might be the best bet. That way the safe cracker has to be careful. Then you merely need to up the complexity until it gets difficult to avoid making a mistake.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 03:00:25 pm »

Does there need to way to open the vault via lever or can it be perma-sealed?  Or maybe this should be a separate catergory.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »

From Shoku's description, it sounds like the diagonals aren't covered.

Self destructing vaults might be the best bet. That way the safe cracker has to be careful. Then you merely need to up the complexity until it gets difficult to avoid making a mistake.
Naw, that would be foolish to leave alone. The bridges should make a no-build zone around the whole perimeter- probably two tiles wide just because you can.

Does there need to way to open the vault via lever or can it be perma-sealed?  Or maybe this should be a separate catergory.
Once you can make an impenetrable vault you can then worry about putting complex kajiggers inside of it for making it difficult to open.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:53:41 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 06:12:53 pm »

For a vault challenge, I'd expect to find the easy-to-open lever prominently located inside the vault.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »

If it's a full deconstruction, put the lever in where ever you want or seal it up to the mountainhomes. But you don't necessarily need a lever to open the door. You could be nice deceiving and let me walk right inside to your precious artifacts.  ;) If it's not a full deconstruction, there needs to be a way inside.

I propose you have an entry for adventure mode breakins, with the only stipulation being that the vault HAS to be able to be broken into, no matter how complicated the system to do so may be and no matter how many lives it may take to do so.
I'll see what everyone else thinks about it, but there's a good chance that I'll not touch adventure mode at all on this one.

I'm not sure I understand how this works. Are you going to try and reach the vault as an adventurer or build your way to it in fortress mode or what?
I will play this in Dwarf mode as I'm not so good at the adventuring. Most likely I'll reclaim the fortress. In fact, I'm going to put this in the first post to lessen any confusion.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:13:00 pm by Dakira »
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 07:50:09 pm »

Count me in for full deconstruction, ye shall not raid my tomb!

I've got a dastardly plan...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

thepuska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »

I've got plans too. Let's see if they work.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 08:20:21 pm »

Now, this is very tempting. I mean, not so much for the building the vault bit, but the infiltrating into one bit.
Anyone mind if I yoink a few saves off the thread to have a go at?

Using a form of partial deconstruction; no designation-removing constructions (cave-ins will be used when needed), but bridges, workshops, and so forth will be torn down if needed.
However long it takes.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 10:31:28 pm »

I think.... I ALMOST have a method of creating an Full Deconstruction Proof Vault.

Almost...  I think I have the design.   Good god it's horribly complicated.  I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Only one way to find out though.  buahahaha!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12