Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19788 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »

Changing init.txt doesn't count as modding the game.
Nope, it even says on the first post that Invasions are off and Cave-Ins are on. Those should be the only things changed when you make your vault.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2009, 09:30:53 pm »

That looks like disagreeing to me.

[/post designed not to derail the topic too much but also send it to the new replies page]

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2009, 10:01:53 pm »

Who wants to do a community fortress based on a vault?

Obviously we'll need a new vault, with new challenges.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2009, 06:12:47 am »

I dreamed about an impenetrable vault last night. It was a pressurized water design, except on the top level there was a pressure plate that went off when the water was drained away and destroyed the contents of the vault with magma. It was like a fire safe.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 06:40:18 am »

You could also make it turn the vault into obsidian and then collapse it into a bottomless pit.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2009, 07:57:50 am »

I dreamed about an impenetrable vault last night. It was a pressurized water design, except on the top level there was a pressure plate that went off when the water was drained away and destroyed the contents of the vault with magma. It was like a fire safe.

This is exactly what I built, only with magma instead of water.  Unfortunately the magma kept evaporating before it could fill.  Plate was perched over the vault in a way that if you tried to destroy the plate it would collapse on the vault and let the magma in.  I could try to switch it to water but I'm distracted with other stuff right now.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2009, 08:35:57 am »

Your magma keeps evaporating? When you trigger the vault or how? If you need to fill a big chamber you've dug out with magma just construct a bunch of non-magma proof floodgates breaking the chamber into small parts. Let one part fill up then open the floodgate destroying them and spread the magma further. Rinse repeat until chamber is filled.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2009, 09:09:34 am »

Yeah, but I already filled the bottom 2 levels and now I dont' want to savescum way back.  The PP was on a long spiral track all the way to the center above the vault so you could do cave-ins to get down past the PP without collapsing the spiral track.  Evaporation wasn't a problem until it got to the spiral track part.  I could find a way around it but the FPS is pretty screwed now too.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2009, 11:58:31 pm »

I wonder how many times he's had to have a fresh start on my vault.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2009, 12:19:15 am »

Would it be possible to build the vault on a wooden support of the bottomless pit, then make pressurized magma next to it, pull the floodgate lever and abandon EXACTLY as this is done?

What would happen? :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2009, 06:14:50 pm »

Would it be possible to build the vault on a wooden support of the bottomless pit, then make pressurized magma next to it, pull the floodgate lever and abandon EXACTLY as this is done?

What would happen? :)
If you could get that to work, I imagine that would make the vault unable to be entered and then I wouldn't really bother. I'd laugh a lot, and i think it's a pretty good idea. But I hope I don't see too many of those.

I wonder how many times he's had to have a fresh start on my vault.
Actually not at all right now. Apologies to everyone, Still busy with junk n stuff n stuff n junk.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »

I do believe I have a plan to crack sizik's vault...

EDIT: Well played, good sir.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:29:48 pm by Peewee »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:17 pm »

Will enclosed (i.e. walled off but not caged) creatures die in between abandonment and reclaim? I know that tame animals will, but what about wild ones? Chasm dwellers? Vent dwellers? Invaders? Demons?

I ask because I have two wild polar bears and a ton of wild musk oxen and elk that I am considering putting inside glass oubliettes to use as "interrupt traps" and block off various approaches to the vault. I also have two wild fire imps that I will probably put behind fortifications at a critical choke point, provided that they will survive until reclaim.

Another question is about wagon placement on reclaim. Is this predictable in any way? What happens if the entire soil layer from the original embark has been dug out? Will it just go to the next lowest level? Can this be used to force the wagon to embark in a certain spot (for example, by only having one clear 3x3 area on an entire layer.

Ideally I will be able to force a start in an area from which there will be little or no access to non-aquifer or magma-bounded soil, stone, plants, animals or trees. An ideal start would be on a constructed island in the middle of the ocean (I am on a small coastal tundra map) located next to a bunch of nasty tricks that will hit Dakira hard with dwarf casualties or item losses before he gets a chance to dig in. I don't think I have the engineering skills to make a totally impenetrable bunker so my intended strategy is to have the entire map conspiring against any kind of organized effort.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2009, 10:35:48 pm »

I do believe I have a plan to crack sizik's vault...

EDIT: Well played, good sir.

What difficulty did you use?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2009, 05:23:17 am »

Just elf.
Spoiler: what happened (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12