Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archers won't train  (Read 3622 times)

BorisP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Archers won't train
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:29:25 am »

Hi:

I am having trouble getting my marksdwarves to train.
I have two marksdwarves.  They both have crossbows and quivers.
I have two archers targets.
I have plenty of bone bolts (over 1500)
The marksdwarves wont even go and pick up the bolts.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Archers won't train
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 11:36:13 am »

Perhaps check that they aren't carrying something around in their offhand - others have reported problems like this, and it turned out that their hands were full, usually with inane stuff like helmets or shoes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:39:55 am »

Perhaps check that they aren't carrying something around in their offhand - others have reported problems like this, and it turned out that their hands were full, usually with inane stuff like helmets or shoes.

Well said. I had a guy carry 2 shields once. He wasn't even supposed to shoot at the range at that time so I couldn't say now if that would keep him from training, but I assume it would.

Also, you probably know this, but better double-check if your soldiers are standing down. They won't train if on duty.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:16 am »

Best way to make sure marksdwarves always train is to have them use no armor and no shields. They of course will be quite vulnerable in melee combat, but thats why you should have meatshields to screen for them. Or when you put them on duty have them gear up completely.

If they are ordered to not use armor or shields, even if they wrestle and grab one of these items, they will drop it right away. Then they'll go back to using the archery range.

BorisP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:59:26 am »

Awesome, it is fixed.

The one guy was carrying around a wolf helm in his hand for some reason.
He also had one on his head.
The other guy was also carrying a random piece of leather armor.

Now I have two follow up questions

1) The only way I could get them to drop them was to designate them for dumping.  Is there another way?
2) Can you prevent them from picking up the random pieces of leather in the first place?

Thanks

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:49 pm »

2) Can you prevent them from picking up the random pieces of leather in the first place?

Best way to make sure marksdwarves always train is to have them use no armor and no shields. They of course will be quite vulnerable in melee combat, but thats why you should have meatshields to screen for them. Or when you put them on duty have them gear up completely.

If they are ordered to not use armor or shields, even if they wrestle and grab one of these items, they will drop it right away. Then they'll go back to using the archery range.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:52:24 pm »

1) The only way I could get them to drop them was to designate them for dumping.  Is there another way?

1) You can set their armor preferences to clothes. They will drop all armor, including the ones they are carrying in their hands. Just remember to set their preferences back.

2) They pick up the random pieces of leather during wrestling practice by grappling the armor off of each other. By giving them a weapon to practice with, they won't grapple, so they won't get those annoying leather helms in their hand.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.