Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: soo harddd findinnng map...  (Read 1354 times)

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo
soo harddd findinnng map...
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:04:49 am »

besides dwarf heaven, which i've made 3 or so successful but boring attempts at colonising - and the few seeds around which had specific site locations with supposably good stuff (hfs/flux/magma/u.groundriver etc, i've had a hard time finding any decent site locations for a committed awesomefort.
And whenever i look for a site with the finder what's supposed to be HFS turns out to be too hidden for me to find, or perhaps not there and the icon was a mistake, or worse yet, it's actually a stupid bottomless pit

i've never had a fort that has lasted more than a few years, never been sieged more than once, and never found adamantine or hfs...even though i've been playing DF for 2 years now, i still havn't made a solid fort i've enjoyed or not regretted the embark, i'm just in love with the game conceptionally i suppose.

So i'm after a really nice location, with a specific site of awesomeness. magma/HFS/flux/undergroundriver/possible aboveground river are essential i think..... I also play with alot of mods (no changes to minerals or stones though, only items/civs/creatures i've made or edited) so i'd love to find a seed more assured to consistently turn up a site with such things.
If anyone has any ideas besides dwarf heaven or vague seeds with no site locations it would be really really helpful and restore my faith in DF
(....or else it'll just drive me insane with its vicious cycles of contrasting emotions (joy/boredom/frustration/construction/destruction/dorfs/elves/care/nocare) and failed but timeconsuming attempts at making a playable fort, and i'll be forced to join a monastery)

Cheers all
-eddy :)
Thank you.
my fortress is full of kitties

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: soo harddd findinnng map...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 11:11:06 am »

you  might want to check worldgen cookbook thread in General discussion.
they don't give you maps with specific sites but it gives you a load of good seeds that have tons of good locations, I'm currently playing a map with HFS/river/flux/magma/U.River
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:26 am »

Best I can offer is patience.  On the large map I genned I found a site with flux, magma, underground river (though I've yet to find it), chasm, and HFS.  No regular river, though.  Just a brook, so no epic carp struggles :(

It does have both flux and iron though, so I'm happy. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »

Best I can offer is patience.  On the large map I genned I found a site with flux, magma, underground river (though I've yet to find it), chasm, and HFS.  No regular river, though.  Just a brook, so no epic carp struggles :(
That's a sacrifice you had to make - if you want a river/stream so you can get carp, you'd have to make do without the underground river, chasm and HFS, all of which only appear on mountain tiles (and mountain tiles only ever have brooks, if they have one at all)

And whenever i look for a site with the finder what's supposed to be HFS turns out to be too hidden for me to find1, or perhaps not there and the icon was a mistake2, or worse yet, it's actually a stupid bottomless pit3
I don't mean to come across as a total bitch, but...
1 You're not looking hard enough
2 You're still not looking hard enough
3 You're looking in the wrong region tile

Here, I'll take you through the easy way of finding it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for getting that 'perfect' map, you need patience, and a lot of it if you've got exacting standards. I can sometimes generate dozens of worlds before I find one with a location that meets all of my requirements (small, flat area with magma, sand, chasm end of an underground river, HFS, preferably with flux (though that's one I can do without) and also preferably a bottomless pit with a GCS (but again I can do without that))
Particularly when you start using mods, other people's suggestions might not actually give you anything because your mods might change things (ditto for any mods that they're using) and one seed for them could produce something totally different for you.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:37:05 pm »

One person asked a question similar to this one once, one person suggested these gen parameters.

I usually get 2-3 sites almost as good as dwarf heaven. (Sometimes better!) The only thing is than in my experience elves tend to die out. ( I made it biger so they live and now it tells me it has to many subregons or someting, just tell it to ignore that or set it to [DIM:69:69])

I took it and then lost the tread, so if the guy who made it reads this thank you it is great!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:26:41 pm »

Finding the perfect site is all luck and preference, just like real colonization.  How many poor sailors and hapless sods died in the era of exploration?  How many people in all of history set off to found a new place to live and simply never returned?  DF being both in alpha AND striving for a playable realism is game where you're gonna loose.  And loose a lot.  And spend forever getting that perfect site.  The good thing is when you do, you've failed so many glorious ways you know how to do it right this time.

So you're just gonna have to hack away at it.  Seeds and pregens are great if you want EVERYTHING, but that certainly isn't very dwarvenly, and sometimes you get a place that is great for what it is, rather than what it contains.  Furthermore, the site finder can lie...sort of.

For instance, my map right now only has a magma pipe and a river with okay woods.  I found it in the first world I had ever generated.  The thing was I COULDN'T find a site that was to my specs.  I always turn aquifer to "no" because I'd rather not deal, but this world just wouldn't have it.  So I turned that off, and found a site with plenty of stuff, but an aquifer.  I was like "okay, let's give this a shot.  Probably will suck..."

But you know what?  Its a green mountain with an open magma pipe on top, and the soil layer that holds the aquifer (I believe, haven't found it yet) is like 20 z levels below my first floor.  All the soil layers are mere intrusions into a solid rhyolite/felsite bedrock, so even when I get to the aquifer, everything is fine because there is plenty of space.  A benign surrounding, no terribly violent animals save one cougar every once in a while, and all three civs to trade with.  Plus, I have that huge smoking pit to throw shit into.  No sand, but with digs like this, who needs it?

The best sites are where you least expect them.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:23:06 pm »

I have one that sounds up your alley. It's got a brook running through it, an underground lake, a magma pipe, a chasm, a bottomless pit and HFS.

I suggest it for beginners like yourself because both the bottomless pit and Chasm are completley underground, protecting you from chasm creatures until your ready.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »

Finding the perfect site is all luck and preference, just like real colonization.  How many poor sailors and hapless sods died in the era of exploration?  How many people in all of history set off to found a new place to live and simply never returned?  DF being both in alpha AND striving for a playable realism is game where you're gonna loose.  And loose a lot.  And spend forever getting that perfect site.  The good thing is when you do, you've failed so many glorious ways you know how to do it right this time.

So you're just gonna have to hack away at it.  Seeds and pregens are great if you want EVERYTHING, but that certainly isn't very dwarvenly, and sometimes you get a place that is great for what it is, rather than what it contains.  Furthermore, the site finder can lie...sort of.

For instance, my map right now only has a magma pipe and a river with okay woods.  I found it in the first world I had ever generated.  The thing was I COULDN'T find a site that was to my specs.  I always turn aquifer to "no" because I'd rather not deal, but this world just wouldn't have it.  So I turned that off, and found a site with plenty of stuff, but an aquifer.  I was like "okay, let's give this a shot.  Probably will suck..."

But you know what?  Its a green mountain with an open magma pipe on top, and the soil layer that holds the aquifer (I believe, haven't found it yet) is like 20 z levels below my first floor.  All the soil layers are mere intrusions into a solid rhyolite/felsite bedrock, so even when I get to the aquifer, everything is fine because there is plenty of space.  A benign surrounding, no terribly violent animals save one cougar every once in a while, and all three civs to trade with.  Plus, I have that huge smoking pit to throw shit into.  No sand, but with digs like this, who needs it?

The best sites are where you least expect them.

>_>

You're aquifer level shows up in the screen you confirmed your area selection on...

For me, i like experimenting with non-square locations now. A 2x8 start location has the same amount of tiles as a 4x4, but bring up some more location sets that the 4x4 wouldn't be able to grab.

I've got an aquifier-less map with a cave lake(I like them quite a bit more than cave-rivers), a magma pipe, a brook, plains, and a steep mountainside.

Its a 2x10, but mainly to experiment with really long aqueducts, and artificial magma-shutes.

Building a large castle the entire width of the map for a small section can make fighting invaders more fun than normal. Even with less chance for FUN than a normal map.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:34:26 pm »

Very occasionally, you can find a site with sedimentary flux, and magma. These are pretty damned rare, and you can usually only find them by looking along the borders of volcanic and sedimentary regions.

I've only ever found two, one in the desert, the other in tundra, but there's no reason why, with a little elbow grease, you can't find a forested one.

Also: Gen Large worlds. That opens up the tropics for exploration.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:56:36 am »

thanks dudes. i guess i'm just so intent on winning, and that seems a forbade philosophy around hither :P I've made alot of forts, none of them have been lost to anything but uninformed embark locations (or a bug or 2, or cruddy modding experiments or downloads).

So i say - I don't plan on losing, and it doesn't seem to happen :)

But i guess I'll try out 'Hasall' or just make my own large map... patience, yes.

I'd say dwarf fortress players are some of the most sophisticated minds of our time, judging from this forum and the wiki etc - it's a pity for the world that toady has their souls - yet lest the apocolypse comes and we all must start anew, may DF conditioned thinking survive amongst the rubble :)

my fortress is full of kitties