Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaching magama pipes  (Read 621 times)

Wexeee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Breaching magama pipes
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:16:04 am »

I read on the wiki that if you breach a magma pipe that unless the dwarf has very high agility he is likely to perish. Is this also true if you carve fortifications into the final stone between the pipe and a channel to breach it?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breaching magama pipes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:29:53 am »

You can carve a fortification to keep magma critters out, but do not have this carving also breach. Instead, channel out the block ahead of the fortification from above. This is the perfectly safe method of breaching, and then you can wall over that open magma channel to keep your smelter workers from being nuked by fire imps.

Alternatively, use a sacrificial peasant to carve the last bit to breach the magma chamber.

Odds are he's going to die. Its actually the exception that he lives.

But thats why he's called a sacrificial peasant.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:43:40 am »

How to not die when breaching magma pipes (with diagrams)

Step 1: Find a place where the wall of the magma pipe overhangs the magma.
██████
█████▓▓

Step 2: Dig your magma channel at the level below the overhang, and construct/carve fortifications before you hit the magma pipe.
██████
___╬█▓▓

Dig an access tunnel on the level above your magma channel, and channel out the rock between your fortifications and the magma pipe.
____ █
___╬_▓▓

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:55:26 am »

As long as you cap the opening with the hard point of the furnace it'll be just fine.  If you don't leave an opening for them to come up through you're fine.  I go with a basic L bend and just use the actual workshops to block off the access for magma critters.
Demon of Darkness

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Alternately, if the path is long that the magma travels (50+ tiles), odds are that the imps/etc will not be attracted to your dwarfs.  But this is the lazy way, and we all know that if it can happen, it tends to in DF.

(This is how imps "spawn" in the middle of workshops, ahem.)

As Sev says, the only 100% safe method is looking at the forges/smelters and placing an impassable tile over the channeled opening down to the magma, so there is no open magma to be seen once all is complete.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:52:25 am »

I use a more dwarven (read complicated) method to breach magma pipes, and it's 110% safe. My dwarves never even get to see the magma.

To summarize, I dig a tunnel under a magma tile then I use a linked support to collapse a wall over the magma tile to punch through it. Then the tunnel fills up with magma.

I have plenty of time to build/carve fortifications, floodgates and whatever else I need in the tunnel I did before letting the magma in. No risk of dwarves being turned to ash ...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »

I use a more dwarven (read complicated) method to breach magma pipes, and it's 110% safe. My dwarves never even get to see the magma.

To summarize, I dig a tunnel under a magma tile then I use a linked support to collapse a wall over the magma tile to punch through it. Then the tunnel fills up with magma.

I have plenty of time to build/carve fortifications, floodgates and whatever else I need in the tunnel I did before letting the magma in. No risk of dwarves being turned to ash ...

Clever. Overly-complex, considering you can just channel into the tunnel, but clever.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325