Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arm the peasants!  (Read 816 times)

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arm the peasants!
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:09:02 pm »

I did some searching and found little related to this.

I started a fortress called Workmortal that's made a killing on cloth production.  My stockpiles are loaded with pigtails, rope reeds, and dye plants from the huge fields devoted to growing them.  I've made most of my dwarves simple farmers, threshers, and millers just to give them something to do besides idle that doesn't require skill for quality levels.

These fairly unimportant workers are perfect for raising a militia/mob with.  However, there seem to be few options for giving them the substandard equipment they deserve.  So, I was thinking of what I would find fun to arm them with while they charge the enemy.

Weapons:  Pitchforks made of wood, Cudgels made of wood/bones, Tomahawks made of wood and stone, Slings made of cloth/leather with rock bullets made of stone.

Armor:  Brigandines as a weak form of chainmail needing only one bar of metal and one leather/cloth.  Quilted cloth armoring such as Gambesons for the upper torso.

Shields:  Who needs shields?  An option to carry something crazy like a molotov made of booze or a net made of cloth instead of a shield might be interesting.  I can only imagine the mayhem dwarves armed with fire would cause, of course.  A net might could be used gladiator-style, trying to trap weapons and slow dodging.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arm the peasants!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:14:14 pm »

You can make them be hunters, and they will carry around weapons and armor. Even plate armor if you want them to carry it.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:16:47 pm »

You can make them be hunters, and they will carry around weapons and armor.
...and hunt things.  Never assume your map is animal-free, either.  When thirteen dwarves drop everything to chase one alligator it ain't pretty.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:54 pm »

You can make them be hunters, and they will carry around weapons and armor.
...and hunt things.  Never assume your map is animal-free, either.  When thirteen dwarves drop everything to chase one alligator it ain't pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »

Yes.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:20:25 pm »

I think arming dwarves is under about half a dozen suggestions in the eternal voting thread in various forms (from more crafts requiring weapon-tools to militias). As for the new weapons, they're easy enough to mod in. Toady made the raws easily moddable because he wants us to add our own content, otherwise why would he give us a forum to discuss it?

Good suggestion, but it's been suggested before.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325