Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen and Volcanoes: Can Magmaland Shift from Dream to Reality?  (Read 585 times)

fortressdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greetings all. I am trying to create Magmaland, a small map covered with volcanoes, though not entirely covered by them, under the design a world with parameters main menu option. Let me start of by saying that I really don't know how the worldgen program works, but I'd really like to create magmaland. Upon each successful generation, I have slightly increased the minimum volcano count. It keeps giving me the reject alert message I expect and ones that I know that it can work around such as it having difficulty placing enough volcanoes. However, what concerns me is that certain maps make it to the "initializing" phase only to be rejected. I know that rejects at that point can deal with it not being civilization compatible, but I really am uncertain of why these maps are rejected as it does not tell me. Does anyone have advice on how I could generate Magmaland?

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen and Volcanoes: Can Magmaland Shift from Dream to Reality?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:23:09 pm »

There should be an option in your init that logs map rejects.  You can then look at the log to see what went wrong.  One problem that I've noticed is that the world creator discards maps that don't have a minimum number of tiles in each of the various ecosystems, so if you're going for a more homogeneous environment, you're less likely to hit these thresholds.  The way I solved that was by setting the minimums really low.

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:31:53 pm »

In the advanced parameters :

Increase the minimum volcano number to something high, like 50.

Double or triple the amount of high-volcanism squares and medium volcanism squares.

Try this and see if it helps.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:48 pm »

Might find more help under the "modding" forum.  I know this has been discussed in other threads.

...Let me start of by saying that I really don't know how the worldgen program works...

One thing you'll find is that it will create a lot of igneous layers - and those are not compatible with sedimentary.  So bauxite, magnetite, and coals will be rare.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:05:36 pm »

Might find more help under the "modding" forum.  I know this has been discussed in other threads.

...Let me start of by saying that I really don't know how the worldgen program works...

One thing you'll find is that it will create a lot of igneous layers - and those are not compatible with sedimentary.  So bauxite, magnetite, and coals will be rare.

Verily!  Check out my thread on "iron ores and volcanism" thread on dwarf mode discussion.  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38337.0

The world parameters Derakon gave me make a really interesting world.  However, sedimentary rocks are pretty rare (at least on maps with magma pipes)