Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weaker Traps  (Read 900 times)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
Weaker Traps
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:29:51 pm »

In my current fortress i have a ton of traps, mainly to catch enemies for the arena, but is there a way to make trap have a chance to fail? or do i just have to not use them. Because, i want to use my military.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Weaker Traps
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:33:30 pm »

As a challenge I am avoiding weapon traps to an extent, and I use just one weapon in each trap (instead of 10). Thus traps are not instakills unto themselves.

I am also leaving some space between traps (as to make them avoidable)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

Weapon traps are supposed to rely on the quality of the mechanism for their accuracy, so a no-quality mechanism with one no-quality weapon (especially a wooden/silver/glass weapon) would be quite unreliable.

It's not perfectly understood, but kobold thieves have an immunity to traps, but baby snatchers seem to only be partially immune - it's possible that there are degrees of "trap immune", or some small % chance to trigger them.

But if you want to use your military, march them outside. Build/channel a battle area, and have your traps behind your military, or for when they're not marching out to engage.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:39:01 pm »

Bah, Albedo is a question answering ninja.

You said that you use cage traps to catch goblins. Cage traps always catch their target, no matter what quality mechanism or cage, so if you have a ton of those at your entrance you should probably get rid of them, too.

It's not perfectly understood, but kobold thieves have an immunity to traps, but baby snatchers seem to only be partially immune - it's possible that there are degrees of "trap immune", or some small % chance to trigger them.

I've never seen a snatcher avoid a trap that wasn't already sprung, personally.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »

I've decided then to only use custom traps ie: Supports connected to pressure plate with floor on top
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:41:23 pm »

I never use more than one weapon in a weapon trap, but even with a normal mechanism and a single large dagger, a weapon trap is still pretty effective. What I've thought of doing is this : make a corridor, channeled several z-levels below (more than 3, because goblins survive 3 z-lvls fall with almost no damage) and cover it with two opposing retracting bridges. Have a dug one-tile entrance and a staircase leading right after the bridges, so the goblins that survive can enter your fortress and do their gobliny deeds.

The question is, how many z-lvls does it have to be in order to ensure surviving, if hilariously disabled goblins fainting inside of your fortress.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:12 pm »

Simply don't place any traps at all. That's what I do anyhoo.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 04:33:44 pm »

I like to have my military training area in front of all the important areas then a area of traps. the traps are definitely to effective right now. all I need is a line of traps to hold off almost a whole siege, especially with those serrated discs cause each attack 3 times so a trap with 10 discs attack 30 times.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:13:00 pm »

The collapsing in my pressure plate trap will (hopefully) push the enemys in to a channel which leads to my arena. When testing I threw an axeXelic (civ forge race), and 7 hammer dwarfs 6 came out 5 severly wounded, 1 a cripple with upper spine injures, new project the dwarfish "bath house"

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »

<ninja>

I've never seen a snatcher avoid a trap that wasn't already sprung, personally.

You could be right - I want to swear that I saw one appear deep in one of my early fortresses, past a double line of unsprung cage traps, and have seen others state similar experiences - but since in every instance it was "an early fortress" or "a new(er) player", I worry that there was some back shaft that was unsealed - so I can't/won't swear to it.

But I ~think~ I saw it.  :-\

</ninja>

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »

I had a very odd occurrence earlier. a kobold thief managed to get past my entrance, despite there being a cage in the middle of the road with dogs and kittens in it. How did he accomplish this feat? My perimeter is secure (double secure with war dogs at intersections) and there's no way in without being noticed. Even if there was, he wouldn't have gone all the way to that entrance to steal stuff given that the centers of industry were further back.

====
xxxxx
xcxxx
xxxxx
====

= channel
x road
c cage with animals
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:29:38 pm »

Maybe caged animals don't spot hidden creatures.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 07:25:32 pm »

... Looking at my dwarfs i noticed those are not light wounds...  have people missing arms and legs.. from one axeman I must put them to death

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28:17 pm »

I don't like the way that occasionally I get light grey (lopped off) and light grey (mildly bruised) mixed up.

Urist Mccan'tsee: hey urist mclightwound, why aren't you doing anything?
Urist mcheavywound: sorry, I'm urist mcheavywound, I have no arms. Uristmclightwound is over there, doing some light yoga...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »

I agree it should be a different color
Pages: [1] 2