Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newbie question about farming/irrigation  (Read 1029 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie question about farming/irrigation
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »

Hmm, now this is curious... I dug a stair down from the room and then I got the message "You have discovered an underground pool". So I guess that is what it is. Does that explain the strange behaviour of the floor?

Yeah, that might be it. I'm guessing that this is an odd bug that happens with the way underground features interact with the map. I've seen something like this happen with magma pipes.

Enjoy your tower cap farms, if you can build them without flooding your fortress.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 02:59:37 pm »

Hmm, now this is curious... I dug a stair down from the room and then I got the message "You have discovered an underground pool". So I guess that is what it is. Does that explain the strange behaviour of the floor?
That doesn't explain the farming issue... but is there an underground pool under the room you found? If so, there are a lot of ways around the immediate problem. The easiest would be to mine out a drain from the pool to the outside. A more dwarven one would be to pump the water up to where you want to farm, and let most of it drain back into the cistern for your first well.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Marade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 03:05:11 pm »

No, there's nothing underneath. My plan so far is to divert water from the brook to be pumped up to the dry pool and then divert it into a cistern (thanks for the idea :)).

I'll let you know if I drown or not!

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:55 am »

I met the same thing before.

The message "You have discovered an underground pool" would not appear if I breach the area horizontally. Going from top down to the area did solve the problem and I can plant afterward.

Marade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 02:17:01 am »

When irrigated the floor is farmable! The spots that are dry have the same problem as before, even though the pool is discovered.

Is this something that I should bug report anyways?

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:20 am »

Yeah, that's a bug report.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 02:42:01 pm »

The message "You have discovered an underground pool" would not appear if I breach the area horizontally. Going from top down to the area did solve the problem and I can plant afterward.

This seems bug-worthy too.

Make sure there isn't an existing report on either of these.
Pages: 1 [2]