Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake of blood? (Now with Map)  (Read 1658 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lake of blood? (Now with Map)
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:15:03 pm »

Hello.
In my most ambitious fortress to date, I'm making a huge water lake in a terrifying mountain biome, using a river source. Not only is this my first attempt at making circular buildings, but also my first try at a drowning chamber.

Towerblockade

While it is possible to make this a magma lake, I'm rather intent on the water. The reason is because the drowning chamber is a stepped pyramid that will auto-drain after use, and be the source of replenishing the lake's water level by spilling over the sides, leaving the interior dry except when desired.  Magma would simply take too long to clear out.

It occurs to me that, as I will be constantly refilling the lake from a single point, I could make an arena at the top of my powerstation/pumptower and 'flush' it to spread blood from the arena around the lake. Has anyone tried to make an entire body of water bloody?
Can I make a 'blood cistern' and store blood to release for special occasions (EG, arrival of the king, Elven traders come by, found MORE Alunite...), or would it vanish from season to season?

I suppose, given my fort's immense donkey, cow, and horse population, that i could pit them into a charnelhouse (The equivalent of a Dwarven Magic Bullet) pull the lever until everything stops twitching, and then wash it out, thereby solving an overpopulation and aesthetic issue at the same time.

The real question: Will this please Armok?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:24:18 pm by Shrike »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Lake of blood? (Now with Map)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:42:39 am »

As with one heart the dwarves responded to the call of their Pharaoh.
They came from the farms and the groves... from the valleys and the hill countries. They gave up their accustomed lives and marched to their holy labor. They sang... songs of their faith... and of their joy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:35:42 am »

The real question: Will this please Armok?

Yes, yes it will.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:55:44 am »

Hmm, stagnant water should stay contaminated a lot longer. You'd re-bleed the lake constantly by causing the 'bleeding' status. Probably involving no-qualtiy menacing spikes pulled once or twice.

You could probably do it by drafting some very tough legendary wrestlers that can swim so they'd survive the bleeding status so you can make them bleed again and again.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:55 am »

Won't the seasonal vomit/blood purges impede this severely?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:32 am »

Won't the seasonal vomit/blood purges impede this severely?

If there are enough animals, then that probably won't be a problem.  ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:09:29 am »

Idea. What if we were to combine this thread with the "Chasing the Elusive Mermaid" thread? That would be like killing two birds with one stone! You'd cage the mermaid babies up somewhere high above the lake. Drop them. Profit! Mermaid bones and a bloody lake.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:34:22 pm »

I'd go with your normal large farm animal, such as cattle or camel, mark them for butcher just in case they don't survive, and flip the switch at the beginning of every month while they stand in at least a little bit of water flowing over their tile and through a floor grate into the lake.  I'd say four per embark tile as a guess for quick canvasing, and maybe some chained goblins when available.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:53:52 pm »

If you need them to bleed for quite awhile, use gore weapon traps (whips/scourges). Those cause tons of bleeding (and have a tendency to remove eyes/ears), though you'll have to use a cavein or something to knock the animals unconscious first.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:41:03 pm by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:47:34 pm »

Step 1: Find a map with hippos or elephants
Step 2: Confine hippos/elephants and allow them to reproduce
Step 3: Construct a blood-letting machine with whips, scourges and liberal use of pressure plates
Step 4: Wash blood into water
Step 5: ???
Step 6: PROFIT

If you use wild animals from your map, you won't have to stun them.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:25:27 pm »

Step 1: Find a map with hippos or elephants and carp
Step 2: Confine hippos/elephants and carp and allow them to reproduce crossbreed them, and allow them to reproduce.
Step 3: Construct a blood-letting machine with whips, scourges and liberal use of pressure plates
Step 4: Wash blood into water
Step 5: Load (battered and fresh) Carippos into blood water
Step 6: ???
Step 7: PROFIT

If you use wild animals from your map, you won't have to stun them.
Fix'd

...As if those things aren't scary enough. Yikes.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 12:29:20 pm »

Crap. I may have deleted this map. Well, I can redo it as part of my grander megaproject, utilizing a fresh water evil/savage lake and magma to make the entire landscape a solid obsidian block from which to carve an obsidian metropolis, with a lovely lake, municipal parks, hot and cold running water, apartment complexes, skyscrapers, and occasionally, blood pouring from every window, staining what remains of the glassy earth red.