Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How badly do we need a 'PC <--> NPC' button?

This release! Du eet RIET NAO
- 3 (42.9%)
Next update is fine.
- 2 (28.6%)
Don't want it.
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 2.0 pre-release available  (Read 22922 times)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Rolls: The RTD-helper program with MOAR EDITZ
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2009, 06:15:27 am »

Out of curiousity, if you changed Gabriel to William, would nothing happen as they are the same length?
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2009, 09:33:00 am »

Probably. That seems to be what's happening, as there are loads of empty space in his text files, which means he pulls all of it at once and since that off sets some of the loading, everything screws up.

Also, hitting Cancel at NPC creation does not actually cancel it.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 06:50:37 pm »

Hitting cancel when putting in the name works, just accept the next screen. You will want to make it so the next screen doesn't come up.

EDIT: It creates a blank NPC.
EDIT2: Messing with it reveals that is is a perfectly working NPC, with no name.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:53:12 pm by major_sephiroth »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 03:24:05 am »

Hitting cancel when putting in the name works, just accept the next screen. You will want to make it so the next screen doesn't come up.

EDIT: It creates a blank NPC.
EDIT2: Messing with it reveals that is is a perfectly working NPC, with no name.

What if you do it again? Would you have two NPCs with the same, nonexistent name?
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 05:59:34 am »

Well I moved the .exe, and re-made my no name NPC. Clicking on it to edit it failed this time, with the error of "Runtime Error 63: Bad record Number"
With all these tests I delete the used files in between them, so they are valid tests. I am on Vista.
I have narrowed it down to the fact it had the antman body. Expect updates on the no name NPCs.

EDIT: Tested bodies and came across a bug, likely caused by cancelling the name entry of an NPC. You can't have more than one body part on a custom set.

EDIT2: FOUND THE ENTIRE BUG. When it cancels, it takes the body of the one that was made before it. The antman body one was the first I made, and had no reference body, and crashed.

EDIT3: Messing with the files isn't promising. I changed 'Proper' to '123456' and it crashes with the same error as the first. I've also changed 123 to 213 with the same result. Changing names is a guaranteed crash. Changing body part names is also bad for you. All EDIT3 stuff is with real NPCs, not no-named.

EDIT4: Unrelated bug. I make an NPC with the name 'Dragon' with the dragon body, and it dies on the same runtime error 63.  Did some extra testing, and found this: Selecting NPCs when you only have NPCs is VERY bad for you. Try it yourself.  Also found this: With nothing, I made a location called Locale, and couldn't edit it. In any way. I made a second location, France, which worked perfectly.

EDIT5: Clarification on EDIT4's NPC bug. When you make ANY npc, and try to select it, crash. If you have two, and select the second, it will actually select the first, and I am yet to find a way to actually select the second npc.

EDIT6: EDIT5 is the main cause of bugs here. EDIT2 is caused by the EDIT5 bug. I am looking into it. It would seem that the second bug in EDIT4 and the EDIT5 bug can both be averted by having a character exist.

EDIT7: I am bug master. There is a slight difference in the print between a NPC and a character. The top is a character, the bottom an NPC.
spoiler=DragonNot injured.

Inventory:

Skills:
/spoiler

spoiler=Dragon
Not injured.

/spoiler
Note the position of 'Not Injured'

EDIT8: Tested what Vlynndar said^ Yeah, two NPCs. Aside from the EDIT5 bug, they work fine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:26:02 am by major_sephiroth »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 10:28:54 am »

I made a second location, France,

I am unsure why, but this made me laugh.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 05:52:28 pm »

Everyone laughs at the french. I don't actually have anything against them, but alot of people I know laugh at them, and France was the first location I thought of.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:04 pm »

Everyone laughs at the french. I don't actually have anything against them, but alot of people I know laugh at them, and France was the first location I thought of.
Same.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 05:23:09 am »

Why exactly are we needing empty space...???
I'm kinda lost on this one, really. I mean, couldn't you just store this data in the appropriate data structures and when you load a file in the program, just pull the data and put it into the data structures?
Creating an inefficient and cluttered save file format just seems somewhat silly to me. Then again, I might not know the details all too well. On that note, what programming language are you using?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »

Why exactly are we needing empty space...???
I'm kinda lost on this one, really. I mean, couldn't you just store this data in the appropriate data structures and when you load a file in the program, just pull the data and put it into the data structures?
Creating an inefficient and cluttered save file format just seems somewhat silly to me. Then again, I might not know the details all too well. On that note, what programming language are you using?
Visual Basic. And he's using the way he's using because it is somewhat more efficient that way, in that it's super easy to do. It's not necessarily the best way, but it is an easy way.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 06:11:27 am »

That which is efficient and that which is easy differ only in the amount of coding knowledge one possesses. Generally the efficient and the easy coincide with greater knowledge, because, quite simply, inefficient code causes hard to deal with problems.

Now, I don't know anything specific about Visual Basic, although a friend that is further along on the CS track regards Basic as an immensely inefficient language in general, and I trust him on that. Be that as it may, ease of programming tends to be an illusion created by a variety of factors, which apply all along the scales of programming. Experience with a language, a language's innate strengths and inefficiencies, and knowledge of data structures (how to use/code them).

Acquisition of greater knowledge of a language or languages may lead to a variety of insights, not limited to minor adjustments, but even leading to complete rewrites if it seems far more efficient to do it another way or with a different language. Just my pitch on the subject. The principles of applied objectivity and subjectivity in a nutshell at least. Peace.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 10:32:34 am »

I agree, but he's at least provided us with some form of organization. I think he did a good job with the limited knowledge he has. I am trying to accomplish a similar feat with no knowledge, and it's not super easy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 10:57:22 am »

I'm trying to accomplish this feat with some knowledge (and prior practice), but I'm going in way over my head. I haven't even got the basic action/roll framework operational, there's no way to even do as much as add a new turn yet, but I already have full game import/export, custom game parameters, font and color select for item names, and a lot more ideas pending.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 11:05:29 am »

Rolling is the easiest part! I have most of my problems with editing skills and equipment. I got a body injury thing going, but I have no basis for attacking. (I planned to make a Magic-based RTD with it, but I figured I'd put that on hold until the program was finished.)

And I got the adding turns part. I just CAN'T save anything because I'm probably doing it in the most inefficient way ever devised (I reload each bit as I edit it, save it again, and then repeat).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2009, 11:14:56 am »

My approach is a massive heap of structures. Separate structures for locations, items, characters, skills, wounds, status conditions, actions, rolls. While it's hardly memory-effective, it makes saving or loading fairly easy. And I'm going with DF's RAW format for saving, also for the accesibility and ease of loading, even though it wastes a lot of space on tag names. Here's a test game output from a while ago:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16