Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How badly do we need a 'PC <--> NPC' button?

This release! Du eet RIET NAO
- 3 (42.9%)
Next update is fine.
- 2 (28.6%)
Don't want it.
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 2.0 pre-release available  (Read 22904 times)

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
Re: Cinnamon Rolls: The RTD-helper program with MOAR EDITZ
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 09:27:05 pm »

I believe you misunderstood the severity of my DO WANT.

In other words, status update, and if it is relatively bug-free, download please.

What this dude said.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:50 pm »

status update?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:46 am »

Nice...

I can't believe Cinnamon Rolls is winning though.
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 07:22:53 am »

You, my good man, are a genius! Where can I get this?

I think that sean would like this as he has MASSIVE amounts of status' to do in his rtd.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »

Okay so. Amid various chants of "Shork is awesomesauce" and "DO WANT", you (the person reading this) may have noticed a nagging voice in the back of your head saying "Why the Cluster F Bomb hasn't Shoruke RELEASED this thing yet?"

Good news! Well okay, moderately not-sucky news anyway. I recently got a job, and between chillaxing, settling in with my work schedule, and preventing people I know from wondering what cave I might have just crawled into, I haven't had much time for programming or website designing. Well, thank uberness it's Saturday then. Today, after debuggering and de-f***menting I MEAN DEFRAGMENTING my computer for 4 hours in hopes that it'll DO something next time I click a "do something" button, I finally had time to get some Cinnamon Rolls work in.

And now I must beg an obvious (to me anyway) question. How the f*** does one design a website and upload schist to it for people to download at their leisure and/or expense depending on their internet connection? I've tried Microsoft Publisher, and after hastily designing myself a somehow-not-quite-adequate logo, writing up a half-assed yet satirical introductory paragraph and hitting alt-f-v to print pre'V'iew my new "webpage" (sarcastic airquotes), I realized that a lot of the stuff that Publisher supposedly did for me automatically (such as linking to the other three pages it had drawn up idiotic defaults for) DIDN'T ACTUALLY HAPPEN. Which means I'm two weeks behind on releasing this program to the public and I have no idea how to do it. I have Core FTP Lite, but I'm under the impression that that's more of a "take prefabricated website, and ctrl-v here to put it on the interwebz" thing than a "take prefabricated idea, paste here to make website" thing.

So for those of you who hate lots of paragraphs of text and by extension me for making some, here's the quick question. What do I use to make myself a website?
Preferably one that can:
a) be uploaded and uploaded TO using Core FTP Lite
b) be changed by me whenever I feel like it
c) hold my JPEG of a logo which is only kinda half-worth-it but that I want to milk SOME use out of because it took 10 minutes to make
d) allow people to download the stuff I upload easily, quickly, and for free

Whoever helps me out with this gets... umm... free karma. Or something. Or cookies. Imaginary cookies, but still tasty.

Now that that's over, some of you may have noticed that I used a TvTropes reference and didn't hyperlink it because that would have broken the flow of my soliloquy more effectively than chucking a menstruating woman out of a helicopter, so here it is. Cluster F Bomb. Incidentally, the more astute and/or well-versed-in-obscure-video-game-reviewing-websites among you may have noticed that I've watched a few Zero Punctuation videos recently. And am consequently using longer sentences with less punctuation with more excessively, borderline anvilicious multi-word adjectives to describe things in hyperbole without TECHNICALLY reducing the quality of my grammar. I think.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 11:24:27 pm »

I don't know a thing about website hosting (and though I do know a free public webhost, narod.ru, it's quite obviously in russian), but can't you start off small? Like, say, putting it up on DFFD?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »

O-kee then, I suppose I should have realized there were Dwarf Fortress file-sharing sites other than DFMA. Gah.

ANYWAY good news for real this time! It's uploaded! Whee! Feel free to download it from here. If I understand it correctly, you don't even have to register or log in to download stuff from DFFD, so just go ahead.

Also if there are any bugs or logic errors or the controls are just too weird for you, please tell me so. Posting here would be preferable... oh heck I'll go through the list of how to contact me.

a) E-mailing me at Shoruke@gmail.com       (this would probably be the fastest)
b) Posting on this thread. That you're reading. Right now.
c) Posting on the relevant thread on DFFD
d) PMing me here on Bay12
e) PMing me on DFFD       (I'm not likely to check my PM's there frequently at all)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 01:10:20 pm »

First impressions:

The program invokes a complicated feeling, similar to when you're thrown into the seat of a space shuttle and told to fly it, but when you already have the knowledge about flying a shuttle and all you see in front of you is a gamepad.

In other words, needs labels and more permanent-looking UI items. Buttons with words on them and actual lists instead of a mostly empty gray area and drop-down selections. I can't say it took me a lot of time to figure out, but the interface is a little too innovative for its own good.

Other than that, I suppose it's a nice tool. But it won't be able to handle my new RTD format, so I won't have a need for it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »

Other than that, I suppose it's a nice tool. But it won't be able to handle my new RTD format, so I won't have a need for it.
That sounds like a challenge.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 01:15:45 pm »

I suppose I could add that to the long-term to-do list; customize your own output style. And yeah, I figured the general layout is a little bit... underrefined.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »

Hey, I just got, I just got a question...

What exactly is regenerate? (Box right next to Print.)
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 02:43:37 pm »

The regenerate feature will perform a recovery roll for every injured body part any player or NPC has when you click print. You can enable or disable this feature with the checkbox.

When rolling for recovery, if the body part is bruised or moderately injured, 5 or 6 will heal. For worse injuries, a 6 is required to heal.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 04:28:43 pm »

Good on you for getting a job, and not forgetting about this. I've been messing about in it, and it seems about perfect. No bugs so far.

Thanks man!
EDIT: Found a bug. Trying to type more than one character into the 'Skills' box crashes it, with Run-time error 9, subscript out of range. I know you aren't meant to type anything in there, but I did it by accident. This is using a character, it is likely similar for all drop-down boxes.

EDIT2: Tested other drop down boxes. Happens with the skills box for characters and NPC's.

EDIT3: Oh damn I am bad/good at this. Changing a name from 'Gabriel' to 'PLACEHOLDER' in the .txt file resulted in bugs like 8224 of inventory items and skills, which I couldn't change, and a 160 Mb .txt file.  Which I tried to open. Lag-fest anyone?
Current wanted features:
Renaming things.
A larger limit for descriptions, items and skills alike.
Acronym tag descriptions. Like it would generate something like the following: [ acronym=It makes you cold]A blue gem[ /acronym]

EDIT4: I AM MASTER OF EDITS. Another new feature I would like: The ability to have 'An Armoured Vest' instead of 'A Armoured Vest'. Could be a drop down box. Also, more new ways to name groups of things, like 'An assortment of' or 'Alot of', which is better than a mandatory 'A stack of'
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:07:31 am by major_sephiroth »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:45 am »

...Whoa. That thar's a pretty good bug report. I'm gonna have to work some of this stuff in. But I thought I'd fixed the bit with the skills box.

Oh yeah, and never ever screw around with the .txt files manually, unless you're just deleting completely everything. Otherwise, the length of the save file is changed, and when the program tries to read it, everything's out of place. For instance, your changing Gabriel to PLACEHOLDER moved everything behind that point four places over. This would be okay if the only thing the program stored was text, but since there's also a few integers in there, that'll throw stuff SEVERELY out of whack.

I'll illustrate with an example, again with 'Gabriel' to 'PLACEHOLDER'. Somewhere behind that point in the .txt file, you will probably have an integer (for item quantity or skill experience). Normally an integer is written in binary (you know, like 10010110110110010 type thing), but because everything got shifted over, the place where that number goes suddenly opens with spaces instead of zeroes. And whatever piece of information comes next (it'll probably be text, too) will open with the end of your integer. So you second item will probably be renamed something like "10010Stick" instead of "stick". And even that is making the assumption that the program doesn't crash or give you the 'billion objects bug'.

(Incidentally, this concept of each object having a set length in the save file is the main reason that some versions of DF are compatible and some are not. I think.)

EDIT: oh yeah and don't type in the drop boxes before selecting something, or else it'll try to write to skill slot number -1, which doesn't exist, generating the 'subscript out of range' error.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:03:14 am by shoruke »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 11:21:36 am »

You could make it check first, or just gray out everything until you select whatever it is you need to select.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16