Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How badly do we need a 'PC <--> NPC' button?

This release! Du eet RIET NAO
- 3 (42.9%)
Next update is fine.
- 2 (28.6%)
Don't want it.
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 2.0 pre-release available  (Read 22920 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 1.1.3 released!
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2009, 12:01:10 pm »

So... university Computer Science class 111.

It has two parts, a 1 hour 20 minute lecture that I attend on Tuesday and Thursday, and a Lab (i.e. programming session) that last a couple hours or so on Mondays. And it's all... so... slow...

The lectures just talk about the very most basic stuff about Computer Science, to allow for people who have never taken a computer science class before. That means that, three weeks in, we're talking about what variables are.

As for the labs, apparently we were supposed to get Unix machines, but one of the people who was organizing all that borked it up and assigned my lab period to a room with Macs, and since Macs use a Unix-like system the people who know what they're talking about said "close enough, let's just go with that."

And now I hate Macs. On no windows machine I have ever used has it been so hard to find a file in a folder I made myself in the default search folder. Gah! And also, if I have more than one internet browser window open, the only way I can find to switch between them is to minimize every internet window until I get to the one I want.

Oh, and the terminal? The thing we use to find our files and compile our code? It has a billion billion commands which are all shorthanded into 2 or 3 letters (i.e. ls to LiSt every file in the folder I'm currently looking at), and trying to figure out which command I need is a pain. None (or very very few) of them are intuitively named; for example, to rename a file you use mv, which is short for move. How would i guess that?? The ONLY way to figure out what command I want is to ask my teacher, which doesn't work very well in my house or even the University library. Other than the teacher, sure there are lots of help files on the internet which give extensive lists of the commands... they're about as helpful as the Windows help files. In other words, they do not help.

Okay, Mac bashing aside, I'm making another new program in my spare periods (sorry that this delays any development on Cinnamon Rolls, there'll be another update someday I swear). This new program (I call it Break Finder) will allow me and my friends to put in our schedules and compare them, to see if we have breaks together or finish the school day at the same time. Announcing this program and seeing if anybody would want a copy of it when it's finished was supposed to be the main point of this post, but... I dislike Macs and wanted to vent. Sorry...

Attempting to finish on the appropriate note here, would anyone want this program when it's done?

EDIT: Oh yeah, development Log. Um, currently Break Finder will compile successfully (yay!) and it has two buttons and a list. The list is for listing the people you want to compare, the first button is to make a new person, and the second button will eventually be to give people classes to attend.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:23:26 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2009, 05:04:07 pm »

That's sounds like an amazing program.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2009, 11:53:55 pm »

Too bad your RTD has pretty much died. So it kinda defeats the points :V

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2009, 10:04:47 am »

Too bad your RTD has pretty much died. So it kinda defeats the points :V

It was a noble sacrifice. Now other RTDs may live.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »

There was unscheduled development on Cinnamon Rolls today. While working on Break Finder, I inadvertantly figured out how to create and destroy .txt files from vb6.

Shoruke has entered a fey mood.
"I must have my laptop!"
"I must have a roughly 2.5 hour break from class!"
"I must have my Cinnamon Rolls code!"
Shoruke has begun a mysterious update.

And now, the delete button is almost working. I need to fix up a bug with deleting NPCs (it seems to work fine at first, but if you delete an NPC, close the program, and reopen it, it turns out the wrong NPC was deleted  :(), but other than that a new update might come out today.

(Man this bug is bugging me... I basically copied verbatim the code for deleting NPCs from the delete Characters part... and yet it works perfectly for characters but not NPCs. DAMN!)

EDIT: the 'delete locations' subroutine also has its own special, different bug. If you delete a location, it works fine... except that the last location in the list is duplicated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:40:18 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2009, 01:06:48 pm »

EDIT: the 'delete locations' subroutine also has its own special, different bug. If you delete a location, it works fine... except that the last location in the list is duplicated.

Or: It deletes the entry, shifts everything up a space and fills the last spot with what there was before.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2009, 01:45:54 pm »

Yup...

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 1.1.4 has a delete button!
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:48 am »

Excuse the double post, but I have to bump this to attract attention and modifying my last post won't do that...

Cinnamon Rolls V1.1.4 is released! Basically, it has a delete button.

Features for this release:
-version compatibility with 1.1.3
-if there is no .txt file, that's no big; it'll just make one. Apparently it's always been able to do that... but now that I KNOW this, I don't have to include blank .txt files in the download  ;)
-the delete button, obviously. There WERE some glaringly obvious bugs (namely duplication and deleting the wrong thing), but I've fixed those.

Okay, so now I need input on what I should do next. Your options? Well, since forumgoers tend to be lazy people, I'll throw you a bone and just copy/paste from the OP.
-A d6 roller (OR, a dX roller... you pick how many sides you need your die to have) (this will increase the file size quite a bit methinks but shouldn't take long)
-extra item/skill details, to lead into auto-combat later (like instead of saying your weapon gives you +1 to damage in text, weapons will have an actual damage property assigned to them) (this would be hard and take forever)
-multiple save game capacity (wouldn't take long or be very hard, I would imagine, but then again does anyone have more than 1 RTD game going?)
-customizable output format (this would be a moderately difficult and take a while... but then pretty much ANY RTD game would be able to use Cinnamon Rolls)
-something else I haven't thought of just yet: you'll probably want to post for this one, to suggest what it is you want me to do  :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:37:28 am by shoruke »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2009, 08:30:59 pm »

A few ideas...

I didn't look too closely but I thought that it currently lacked the ability to define your own entities. I would like to have the option to make a dwarf with a subset of limbs each with their own list of organs and equipment...

Co dependant entities too, such as a bow that requires and depletes arrows or a toaster that requires power.

Large groups, once combat automation works it might be nice to have it handle entire armies or something...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:50 am »

A dice roller would be a vey handy thing indeed. Not voting yet.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2009, 01:27:24 am »

Dang, this will be really useful. I'm GMing my first RTD ever, and I keep forgetting stuff... sometimes I notice I forgot to update a character's skill page, and other times I'll forget their stats earn them a free reroll. Most of it is because I have to scan through the tiny, teeny-weeny Bay12Forums message box, which can't handle more than 10 lines at a time, so it's easy to miss something...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 07:54:30 pm »

Well taking into account that Vlynndar apparently hasn't voted yet but was leaning towards the die roller and I voted for the multiple saves and they're currently tied at two each, I guess quasi-popular demand says I should do the die roller.

I say quasi-popular though because there were so few votes  :(

Anyway... specifications!
-should the die roller be visual? Like, should I go find six pictures of the various outcomes of rolling a d6, and put them in, or should it be just text?
-do we need a dX roller? Should there be just hardcoded sets of dice (the 'usual' ones; d3, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20) or do I want to let people use my program to roll up to d3,000,000,000? Should the more common dice have pictures?
-any other thoughts on the die roller?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »

Dude. Any number, please.

Have pictures for the really really common ones, like d10 and d6.

Have skull dice.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:59 pm »

Life just wouldn't be complete without D1s, but some sort of quick access to common combinations of dice it would be nice. some sort of macros would be great but a simpler option would be to give the user a few nameable buttons with customisable equations in them, such as Dodge: 1d6, Urist's Magic: 1d10+2, Super Twins Attack: 2d6+2, Hydra Attacks:1d6+1 1d6+1 1d6+1 1d6+1 1d6+1...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »

I made a d6. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16