Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cave rivers are fun!  (Read 1039 times)

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave rivers are fun!
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:43:19 am »

So I breached a cave river, semi-accidentally while carving out bedrooms.  After losing 3 guys to Giant Toads / Cave Crocodiles I have to ask - does the cave river restock these guys?  It sure seems that way and their are more frogmen now after killing a dozen of them than before.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave rivers are fun!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:09:41 am »

No. if they die, they are gone.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:17:02 am »

I have heard that a new batch spawns every time you reclaim the site or an adventurer enters it. Gonna check if that's true.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:50:16 am »

I had a fortress where I drained an underground pool and built my dining hall in it. I lost the fortress and recently when I reclaimed it had snake/lizardmen and a Cave Croc back in there.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:45:32 am »

Complete with water, or just the critters?

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:56 am »

I lost a fort early due to lack of water, but managed to build a very large cistern system. Reclaimed and the entire thing was 7/7 full, making it much easier to survive ;)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:49:17 am »

I lost a fort early due to lack of water, but managed to build a very large cistern system. Reclaimed and the entire thing was 7/7 full, making it much easier to survive ;)

But you don't need water. :)

You just need plants to brew beer. Get your dwarves to gather said plants and then plant them... you only need water in a region that is otherwise unable to sustain plant life, as you need it to create mud.
Those regions are rare though. They're like glaciers or something. Deserts maybe.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:06 am »

Cave crocodiles will breed. I know this from having to work so hard to exterminate them.

Giant toad's raw file doesn't have a [child] line, I believe they do not breed. Didn't have to work very hard exterminating them - it happened by accident whilst perforating yon crocs.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »

Complete with water, or just the critters?

There was water in there, but I had partially refilled the pool after building my dining hall. So it's probably just the water left over from when I abandoned.

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:27 am »

I ended up restoring an earlier seasonal save.  This time I stationed a peasant armed with a crossbow over the cave river.  He is now a Talented Marksdwarf!  Course, I think he fired like 300 bolts...

Water pressure isn't working like I thought it would with the river.  I wanted to make a well safely, so I tunneled under the river, sealed up the tunnel, and channeled out a chunk of cave river roof directly over that spot (you wouldn't believe how hard it was, what with every dwarf trying to stand on the tile about to be severed).  Anyway, it punched through the river floor just fine, but the water refuses to come up from 1 z level below the river

its like this:

==  ==
=     =
=~~~====  ==
==~~~~~~==

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:26:02 am »

Water pressure is working just fine there. Water will not jump to the same z-level, only a lower one. Also, your well should work just fine. Just put it above the water, it doesn't matter how far.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:58:14 am »

But you don't need water. :)

You just need plants to brew beer. Get your dwarves to gather said plants and then plant them... you only need water in a region that is otherwise unable to sustain plant life, as you need it to create mud.
Those regions are rare though. They're like glaciers or something. Deserts maybe.

Injured dorfs drink only water and not booze.

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 03:13:21 pm »

Yeah, but I'd also tried to set up a swimming area on the level above - oh well, they don't need to swim anyway really.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:55:06 pm »

Can you possibly upload a screenshot of your setup? From your picture, it appears that water SHOULD rise up on the right side, where you punctured the hole, water pressure DOES even out, magma doesn't.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 07:59:20 pm »

I never bother with well contraptions :D If you embark on a brook it's mind numbingly simple. You dig a channel and build a well. No-one can fall in and everyone is happy.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2