Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mid-Half-Life crisis, or "How I learned to stop worrying and love SMOD"  (Read 2399 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Three cheers for the exceptionally long and uninspired thread title, which is only loosely related to the actual content.

So anyways, in search of a fresh gaming experience (Rune having run most of its nostalgic course), I decided to check out the latest version of SMOD: Tactical, which was one of my favorite mods for HL2 back when I was into that.

The new version was apparently developed under new management, and I have to say that either I've been away for a long time or this new dude is a demon.  SMOD:Tac 5.56 is an absolute gem, and I mean that very sincerely.  I went through the mildly entertaining process of configuring some of the specifics (when choosing the amount of gore I wanted, I was given a choice between "Realistic", "Action Movie" and "Horror Movie".  I picked horror, naturally), I hopped onto the map selector that directed me to the little zombie-infested locale known as dm_motel.  I was expecting a fine little blast fest between me with my ultra-powerful boomsticks and the shambling headcrabbed horde.

Boy was I in for a surprise.

I'm dropped into the creepy, slightly burning motel and run an inventory check.  I've got a knife (useless), a decent pistol, and a shotgun (woohoo!  Don't need to go looking for one), and both my guns have a fair amount of ammo.  This is gonna be easy.

It is at that moment that I take a peek around my surroundings.  A distant movement catches my eye, and I peer through a smoky haze to glimpse a zombie ducking back behind a wall in another room.  Three things strike me about this zombie...  First of all, he doesn't have a headcrab.  Second, he looks relatively normal, wearing a rather disgusting plaid shirt over a decidedly intact torso.

Third, he is most certainly *not* shambling.

A noise gets my attention, and I look off to my left, where another zombie has popped out from around a corner.  We stand there, looking at each other for a few moments, and then he unleashes a bloodthirsty grunt and comes charging at me, head lowered and hands clutching greedily.

Lemme tell you something...  I don't know if it's how "normal" this guy looked, or how he hunched over to run at me, or if it's just how damned fast he was, but I felt my heartrate skyrocket.

I frantically brought my shotgun up to bear and blew the sucker's head off, but that got the attention of two more.  And these weren't your standard brainless bee-line zombies, no.  They didn't like being out in the limelight too much.  They much preferred splitting up and running around walls to catch me before I could shoot them. 

When that little spat was over, I sat back in my chair and thought "Whoa...  That was awesome!".  I then realized that I had at least thirty more of the buggers to do away with.  I pumped my shottie and got to work.

I was really, really impressed with how he'd overhauled the zombies.  Before, they were just pathetic little targets waiting to get obliterated by your scoped M4A1, but now they were fast, dangerous, downright scary encounters.  And I couldn't have been happier.

Well, actually, there was one little oddity.  A few of the zombies decided to stop what they were doing and wave at me cheerfully.  Not sure what that was about.

Anyways, after clearing out the zombie infestation, I saw the words "Mission Complete" appear on the screen, and then I crashed to the desktop.  I figured it was excusable, and decided to load up the HL2 campaign and see these blighters in Ravenholm.  After one decidedly long loading time after another, I managed to start up the campaign. 

Not soon after "Half-Life 2" appear did the game crash to desktop again.  Both of these times had been without the courtesy of an illegible error message, just that useless Microsoft dingbat response where it asks you to send an error report.

Numerous attempts later, at various stages of the campaign, and I still crash to desktop just a second or so after loading up.  I decide to leave off on that and try out one of the specialized SMOD:Tac maps, see if it was any more stable there.

Two more crashes later and I'm starting to get annoyed.  As impressive as that zombie map is, it doesn't make for an entire mod.  Especially if it crashes as soon as you're finished redeadifying the inhabitants (it should really just respawn the things...  Then you could have all sorts of fun).

I try a few things in vain attempts to solve it, and then give up and wander off to other entertainment sources (new ZP video today, woohoo!).  Just a little while ago I remembered having similar difficulties with another mod, and I seem to recall trying to play native HL2 and finding the same problem, thus proving that the problem was not inherent in the mod itself.  On a whim, I tried out ol' native just now, and sure enough, it's crashing without so much as the drop of a hat.

Now comes the fun part.  I remember fixing the problem by simply uninstalling and reinstalling HL2...  Which, after the second attempt now, still hasn't worked.

I'm curious about a couple things now...  First of all, has anyone else here experienced a sudden Half-Life 2 failure like this?  And if so, how did you identify the problem/fix it?  Or did you?

I thought it was a one-off corruption the first time around...  But now I'm intrigued.  It seems strange to me that HL2 would suddenly stop working for some unknown reason...

I'd like to start this off as a personal help thread, to see if I can get some help in getting this doozy rolling again.  Once the show is back on its feet and ready to blow things up in a disturbingly entertaining manner, then the discussion may gleefully careen into the psychotic happy funland that is SMOD (and its various spinoffs/modifications).

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to lend a helping hand.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I blame the engine, seeing as how HL2, My HL2 Mods, GMod, (Kinda Counts as a mod, Gmod.) and TF2 crashes everytime I play them. I just reboot them and continue.

Also, What is this fabled Smod? It sounds fun. Links, or something?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I blame the engine, seeing as how HL2, My HL2 Mods, GMod, (Kinda Counts as a mod, Gmod.) and TF2 crashes everytime I play them. I just reboot them and continue.

Also, What is this fabled Smod? It sounds fun. Links, or something?
Here's something about SMOD itself and here's SMOD Tactical.

EDIT: Also, Kagus, have you tried doing a complete Steam reinstall? Or at least removing any configuration files present there? Certain settings (most notably graphical) are universal to Source engine games, hence they're not rigged specifically to HL2 and remain when that's deleted. You might've changed something that took effect with a delay (upon map loading) and that messed up all source utilizing games.

And you've probably already done this, but if not, try the obvious - update display drivers, update directx, etc..
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:46:37 am by Virtz »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a random HL2 failure once. No clue what triggered it, but all of a sudden every time I tried to launch HL2 it would open for a split second and then crash and close with no error.

I wish I could tell you how to fix it, but I don't know. :/ Personally I just stopped playing it for half a year or so and then when I tried again it worked. I'm assuming either some patch on valve's side or change in my computer got it working again, but what specifically I have no clue.

This was way back before the episodes came out.

Not much help, I know, but at least you're not alone. :P

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Alot of errors with HL come with downloaded content... or them updating it wrongly. Generally a complete uninstall then reinstall will solve all your problems. If you cant figure it out the steam forums tech area is alaways good to check out problems.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been wanting to try SMOD out for a while now, actually. Unfortunately, I am lacking in the Counter-Strike Department. Grah.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, since when do you need counter-strike for it? D:

I didn't need counter-strike for it back when it was just "SMOD" and had a webpage in some other language. *looks in the readme*

"The CS:S Conversions of the Combine are by Tokotoko"

... They converted the Combine into CS:S guys? What the @&$^?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

SMOD:Tactical uses CS:S models.  They fit in better with the whole theme.

And I never quite figured out this deal with people buying both HL2 and CS:S...  When I first got HL2 ages ago, I ended up with Counter Strike included as part of the package.  Didn't have to shell out anything extra for it (so far as I know).

Really funny thing is that was the first time I'd ever dealt with Steam, and after going through the non-intuitive install process of both programs we declared the purchase "defective", and returned it to Costco for a full refund.  Hasn't stopped working yet.

Anyways, the wacky thing about this is that I can run other mods just fine.  HL2:Wars works about as well as it always has, and both Appeltaart and Dear Esther run perfectly.  I'm really not looking forward to a full reinstall, but if that's really what it takes...  Damn.

I'll try poking it a bit more...  I really do hope I can find a nicer solution than that.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I never quite figured out this deal with people buying both HL2 and CS:S...  When I first got HL2 ages ago, I ended up with Counter Strike included as part of the package.  Didn't have to shell out anything extra for it (so far as I know).

Ah. It doesn't come with the Orange Box (but Team Fortress 2 and Portal do).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Figures.  Frankly, I'd rather play Portal over CS any day.  But it does put a slight hamper on mods now doesn't it...

There might be a model pack out there that you can grab, as I'm pretty sure all it uses are the graphics.  Of course, that's just SMOD.

Well, it would appear that this crashing disease is contagious, as I've managed to get the Steam forum search function to freeze up a couple times now.  Joy.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, because I am an evil evil man, I'm gonna 'FFD' the required files for the mod to work.

I don't intend on doing anything with them past that, mind. I have some standards, after all.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Well, managed to find a guy who seemed to be describing my exact problem... But his solution seems absolutely batshit.  He did have a test for it though, and I'm going to give that a try.  If it works, I may just have to try his ridiculous idea...

Testing now.

Aaand, the test is positive.  Huh.  Alrighty, time to try his solution then.  This goes against all my logical presumptions, I might add.

And it would appear that the gremlin has been successfully stunned.  At least in Native.  Now I'm going to try one of the mods.

And it works.  Blimey, the bugger somehow managed to defeat a senseless crash by throwing some more senselessness at it.  Must have overloaded it or something.

Anyways, the "fix" was to go into Steam\steamapps\"your name"\half-life 2\bin, copying all the contents, going one folder back up to "half life 2", and copying all the contents in there.  This makes absolutely no sense, but apparently works.  At least for the moment.

This confuses and even worries me somewhat.  I refuse to treat it as a "fix", but I'm happy to make do with a stunned gremlin for now.  And besides, it won't make much difference if a full purge is required anyways.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isnt that like most other hl2 mods? I just need the SDK base and I can play? Would be sweet, because that game sounds nifty.

Either way, I just have tf2 and played quite some hl2 mods by now... so maaaaaybe....

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

I bought CS:S cause i wasn't getting the most out of GMOD 10. some maps i liked playing on relied alot of cs:s skins and textures. *cries*

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile

I think I have every source game ever made. :D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: [1] 2