Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guardians and Independence package  (Read 1042 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Guardians and Independence package
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:17:43 am »

2 things,because im boreeeddd
Independence
    Tired of those idiotic nobles? Don't like elves? Elf blood on your body?Not anymore with Independence!!It all starts with 2 factions,tories and Cuban ResistanceResistance forces,tories try to run,rebels beat them up!or the other way around Then the King sends out X amount of forces to kill you!If you win,you get more control,including laws,which include
MANDATES ILLEGAL
SOCK TRAFFICKING ILLEGAL
SCREW THE ELVES! FIRE ON SIGHT/NO ELVES COME IN COUNTY
Guardians
       These guys are kinda like rulers, or said title, for example:
Doomburn the fiery cheese,Dragon, has taken residence in Human Keep and became thier fiery/healer/wilderness guardian (magic arc suggestion a little)OR
      The human duel wielding katana swordsman Che Guevera Godmagma has become X civs eternal guardian, serving until his death in 1968 during the cold conflict.
   So they don't get pwnd by you guys, they destroy your puny weapons or projectiles.
Random Suggestion
      Why couldn't we have a stationary crossbows linked together that can turn like a machine gun but they need X amount of rope for X amount of crossbows,that and sandbags/low wall,you can't be hit if you lie down, but they can be jumped over.
  Leaving now

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians and Independence package
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:03:13 am »

Could someone other than the OP please translate that? I can't actually make out what he's suggesting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »

Could someone other than the OP please translate that? I can't actually make out what he's suggesting.

He would like a option to wage war against your mountainhome and gain independence, which would then allow you (among other things) to get rid of nobles demands, stop your dwarfs running out to get the narrow silk socks in the middle of siege and start shooting elfs on sight without reason.

Considering the general display of dwarfs as ancestor honoring and tradition valueing creatures, I think it s a poor idea to begin with, but that is just my opinion.

Second, he would like that there were some superbosses on each civilication, which would be invincible to normal weapons so we can't kill them (I'm not sure if they are supposed to leave behind their civ and lead suicidal sieges or just be invincible and never appear in fortress mode). Apparently all these evil leaders should be beasts and/or communists.

Last, he would like a fantasy version of machine gun emplacement, with gatling crossbows and some form of protection for the user to hide behind.

I'm guessin he thinks the current crossbow rate of fire is too slow, and is not familiar with fortifications.

Atleast, this is how I read it...  :P

If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:17:03 pm »

A lot of the Sierra city building games had this.

If you refuse to meet enough of Rome's mandates, the Caesar will send the legions out to replace you, resulting in an endless stream of very powerful soldiers constantly besieging you.

Basically, think of a really, really big hammerer. With a really big hammer.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:59 pm »

That reminds me. I wanted to modify myself some sweet sweet raws to set up a WW2 style beach landing scenario, with goblins/orcs/elves/humans coming at my super fast firing ballistas, but I can't find the data for ballistas :( Until we can modify the starting party I can't do the rest of that either :(
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:38:19 pm »

He would like a option to wage war against your mountainhome and gain independence, which would then allow you (among other things) to get rid of nobles demands, stop your dwarfs running out to get the narrow silk socks in the middle of siege and start shooting elfs on sight without reason.

Considering the general display of dwarfs as ancestor honoring and tradition valueing creatures, I think it s a poor idea to begin with, but that is just my opinion.

Second, he would like that there were some superbosses on each civilication, which would be invincible to normal weapons so we can't kill them (I'm not sure if they are supposed to leave behind their civ and lead suicidal sieges or just be invincible and never appear in fortress mode). Apparently all these evil leaders should be beasts and/or communists.

Last, he would like a fantasy version of machine gun emplacement, with gatling crossbows and some form of protection for the user to hide behind.

I'm guessin he thinks the current crossbow rate of fire is too slow, and is not familiar with fortifications.

Atleast, this is how I read it...  :P

Ahh, that explains it.

Then... no. Bad suggestion. Your fortresses already act almost independently of the Mountainhome. You aren't taxed (your peasants are, you aren't), you get to make more demands of them than they make of you, and nobles are easy enough to deal with - put up with mandates or char them with magma.

The second suggestion just doesn't fit. I'm sorry, civs run by godmode creatures? Too cliche, not "fun" enough.

The third suggestion sounds inexperienced. You can make sandbags to fire from behind, they're called carved fortifications (unless you want fortifications you can walk through, in which case, bad idea) and crossbows already fire at pretty obscene rates. Most players want to tone the firing speed of ranged weapons down, not speed it up, marksdwarves are by far the most powerful troops on the field.

Overall, it really sounds like something someone would suggest when they're bored. Bad idea.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:42:06 am »

When the army arc is fully put into place you should be able to conduct diplomacy with other civilizations, including even warring with them. This probably means that they will come to visit you, but at the same time, you should be able to send dwarves "off-map" to go visit them.

Once this is put into place I don't see why you would be unable to declare war on other dwarven civilizations.