Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Job List Quick Suggestion  (Read 480 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Job List Quick Suggestion
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:45:40 am »

I know there have been topics and suggestions for the job list screen but I just wanted to throw a quick one out there that I didn't quite see around reading the other threads.

On the job list screen you should be able to hit 'a' (or whatever) for a specific job and when that job is taken off the list (completed) it will raise an announcement and pause the game. This would allow you to do things like set a lever to be pulled then manage the rest of your fortress without having to keep checking the lever until it's pulled. Since it's tied to a specific job you wouldn't get more announcements then you care about.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Job List Quick Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:52:59 am »

That's a brilliant idea. I believe the mandate system has some code related to this in that it alerts you when the mandate is completed.

However, this might be hard to apply to non-singular tasks, such as constructing walls or chopping trees. Perhaps it would be best modified if it were to do the alert when the dwarf's task type changes due to "no more task", rather than changes such as "going to drink".
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:49 am »

yeah I don't know if it'd work well for those types of tasks. The task may be dropped from the list and then immediately re-added or just stay persisted in the list. Those types of tasks seem less like the ones you would want to tie an announcement to though so it wouldn't be a big loss if they didn't work well in that respect.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:38:00 am »

A+

Presuming it would also pause if a dwarf cancels due to dangerous animals or such?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:08:18 pm »

I like it, though I would like more control over alerts overall. Stop pausing every time you strike more Microcline, start pausing when the harpies get to my gates please. Let me know when the gate trap lever has been pulled, and give me a heads up when the set of silver weaponry is done so I can switch my wrestlers to axe practice.

A+ suggestion.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:12:19 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325