Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My fort is in the goblin clothing business  (Read 2417 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
My fort is in the goblin clothing business
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:08 pm »

So I'm almost in my 10th year of the fort, longest I've ever gone. I'm up to my eyeballs in narrow [insert everything here]. I can clear out every caravan that comes by of all their goods and I've still got more of this stuff then I know what to do with. When you are killing 30-40 gobbos in a siege twice a year, that's a lot of garbage.

I can have all of it hauled to the depot whenever there's a caravan in town. Puts a haul job for all of those silly idle dwarves. But it's still too much. All of my wood is going to building bins to hold it all. My dwarves spend most of their time hauling this stuff around and I spend most of my time sifting through items and marking them to dump or to be hauled. It's kind of sapping the fun out of the game.

I'm really thinking of writing my first mod. Something that removes all clothing from a goblin except a single loincloth. I'm sure someone has already done this though.

I guess another possibility is rebuilding my road into a series of retractable bridges. After the slaughter I retract the bridges and drop the bodies down several z-levels. Then I'll open a floodgate onto a tall cistern. The water pressure might be enough to push all this junk into the chasm. Sort of like a massive goblin toilet. That's probably a more dwarvenly solution.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fort is in the goblin clothing business
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:20:02 pm »

My fortress is the same. I don't have any magma or chasms to dump them in either :(
I use all the iron but the cloth drives me nuts.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:27:42 pm »

Atom smash it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:01 pm »

It's really the hauling that gets me. Hauling it to an atom smasher is no less painful than hauling to the edge of a chasm.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:32:44 pm »

Atom smasher can be closer to the cloth

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:38 pm »

No magma, eh? Atom smasher's your only choice.  Have you considered reconfiguring your defenses to obviate the problem?

I can't remember who did it, but there was a clever flooding system posted not long ago.  Pump a lot of water (assuming you at least have a river) to a high reservoir, then construct a massive ramp (three to five wide, a few dozen tiles long) to serve as your primary entrance.  At the base of the ramp, install grates above a reservoir that is then pumped back to the top.  Use crossbows or carefully timed melee forces to kill all the gobbos when they're on the ramp, then "flush" them to the bottom.  Water passes through the grill, leaving loot in a tidy pile.  Pick out the good bits, and atom smash what's left.  As long as you don't have stockpiles for crappy clothes (or don't collect enemy junk automatically) your guys will leave it lay.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »

Set fire to the world.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:24:01 pm »

This problem is really the "concentrating value" problem in disguise.

As your fortress' wealth grows the space:value ratio becomes increasingly important: in the late game you would easily take a trade of 1,000 stone mugs for a platinum goblet 20% of the value because the goblet only takes up 1 unit of bin space.

Artifacts are a source of concentrated wealth, but they're also produced by the Fortress.  Artifacts turn a small number of worthless items into one really valuable one.

If you could trade for artifacts you could turn a large number of low-value items into one high-value item.

Of course if players could steal the artifacts from the caravans instead the "problem" wouldn't be solved, so I'd use the "tribute payment" system to pay for it.  "Send x or greater value to us and we'll send you y artifact next year."

Atom smashing just seems wrong somehow.  The point of the game is to "stack paper".  It seems kind of ironic that we're looking for ways to burn it.  If your own clothiers managed to produce that big a pile you'd say, "Good job!"  Then you'd have the very same problem to solve: where to put all that low-medium value loot.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:54 am »

It would be very easy to go into the raws and make it so gobbos don't use clothing, but might require a regen. Alternately, you can edit the raws to make an animal go thermonuclear and set your map on fire, leaving nothing but iron items.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 01:32:21 am »

I'd love to have massive storerooms filled with boxes of items my dwarves have crafted. Except my dwarves haven't been crafting anything but bins, skull totems and bone bolts for about four years. It takes all their time just to collect and dump the stuff left over from sieges throwing themselves on my traps, champion hammers and rain of bolts. A rather substantial chunk of my wealth has come from this junk.

My current fort has a $3M worth. $1.2M of it is from artifacts. I've imported almost $1M, and except for $10 barrels and several stacks of bolts, that's pretty much all from goblin stuff. I have not even exported $70k, I have just been trading in goblin clothing/armor.

But the more wealth I have the greater the chances I'll have a strange mood, right? Which means the more wealth I get ... which means a bigger siege. Last siege had 30 crossbowgoblins and countless others. It's going to take me a year just to clean up the road.

I think it's time for a megaproject giant toilet. I've got an underground river but it's got to cross the chasm, and climb 10 z-levels to get to the road. Will water, with enough pressure, move items like narrow iron chainmail?

It might be easier just to use a drawbridge to flip all the stuff into the chasm.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 09:53:17 am »

I just leave goblin bone, clothes, armor and weapons strewn about the entrance of my forts. It serves as a warning to any invaders. ;) I got sick of hauling their stuff in long ago and as far as trading I prefer to trade my own goods instead of spoils of war.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:01:10 am »

With my fort, a large majority of my dwarves are idle. Of a population of around 150 I have on average 75 to 90 idlers. This is very good, since I turn on mason and architecture for them all and get megaprojects done much more quickly. It also means it only takes 1 or 2 trips to move all the goods from a goblin seige into the safety of my massive underground storerooms!

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 03:17:19 pm »

I suggest you just don't claim any goblin clothes, or forbid it if you have it set to automaticly claim it.

Just let the narrow junk stay on the ground outside, if they're not in the way there's no problem with it.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:49 pm »

This problem is really the "concentrating value" problem in disguise.

As your fortress' wealth grows the space:value ratio becomes increasingly important: in the late game you would easily take a trade of 1,000 stone mugs for a platinum goblet 20% of the value because the goblet only takes up 1 unit of bin space.

Artifacts are a source of concentrated wealth, but they're also produced by the Fortress.  Artifacts turn a small number of worthless items into one really valuable one.

If you could trade for artifacts you could turn a large number of low-value items into one high-value item.

Of course if players could steal the artifacts from the caravans instead the "problem" wouldn't be solved, so I'd use the "tribute payment" system to pay for it.  "Send x or greater value to us and we'll send you y artifact next year."

Atom smashing just seems wrong somehow.  The point of the game is to "stack paper".  It seems kind of ironic that we're looking for ways to burn it.  If your own clothiers managed to produce that big a pile you'd say, "Good job!"  Then you'd have the very same problem to solve: where to put all that low-medium value loot.

Well, the problem is that goblin goods effectively do nothing for the value of your fort, since they're "imported." They just take up space.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »

That's not acceptable. I have a well manicured lawn, free of debris and trees. The occasional blood splatter is okay, but I'm not just going to leave heaps of goblin armor outside my gates.

It's actually gotten worse since my hammerdwarves have gotten a few off-seasons to spar as champions. They are knocking goblins 50 tiles into walls and they blow apart, leaving crap everywhere. It's like watching fireworks.

HFS spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3