Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My fort is in the goblin clothing business  (Read 2415 times)

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fort is in the goblin clothing business
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 04:25:30 pm »

What are you asking for in the import lines?

If you can get any kind of coal from the homeland, you should push that slider all the way to the right every time the dwarven liaison arrives.  Trade the cloth for the coal, make all the coke you can, melt the metal armor, then train your smiths with the iron and steel.

If you can't get coal, order tower-cap in bulk, and make charcoal.

At ten years in, you can afford to pay premium prices, especially for coal or wood.

(I assume you've pre-ordered raw material in case your nobles make a mandate to craft something.)
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »

The solution is obvious. You need a centrally located killing method, so your dwarves don't have to haul all the junk from halfway across the map.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »

place them in your most busy hallways, they will degrade ... probably not faster than they get replaced though.
all stuff left outside should just rot already...not stone though...or bars ... actually most would rust, but heh. :)
Stuff left in water too.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 05:41:31 pm »

Do clothes rot away just from being outdoors?
I brake for stumble bumblings

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 05:43:46 pm »

I don't think so. I think clothes only rot away when worn.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:37 pm »

Clothes (and any valuables) left outside will sometimes lure thieves or monkeys to steal them instead of testing your entrance defenses.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
Stuff SHOULD rot/wear when left outside, currently only corpses, prepared food, rawhide and bones do so.

I've read though that repeated walking over stuff damages them... slowly. :)
If only fire was easilly available, being on fire really wears things out fast. Currently the easiest way to get fire is to get magmacreatures, but then you could just dump crap into the lava.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 06:18:26 pm »

hmm... just pull in all the good stuff and leave all the rest. who cares if macaques steal it? (I do, but I'm a proper dwarven miser) If kobolds go for it then you'll get even more invaders in the form of the kobolds!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:15 pm »

I'm pretty much finished with the megaconstruction. Sort of a mini-megaconstruction I guess. Had a few setbacks since I didn't have much experience with retractable bridge traps. Fortunately the only casualties were my caged goblins, who coincidentally were stored in a room below where I was designing the mess. Hope to give it a test run tonight.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

While you can mod goblins so they don't wear clothing but still wear armor, this does require you to regenerate the world.

You can simply leave it laying around. Some animals will steal it, as well as kobolds. Apparently if kobolds steal enough wealth from you they'll actually start attacking!

Or at least thats what the rumor is. Kobolds in my fortress have a lifespan measured in seconds.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 07:01:55 pm »

One fort I had there were numerous kobold thefts. By numerous I mean about two or three because my average number is zero. I got kobold ambushers. They ambushed both my human and dwarven liason. Since it was only my second year it was a pretty crippling blow to my trading. Lost a lot of dwarves to moods when you can't even scrounge up a turtle shell.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 07:53:07 pm »

Ahh ... okay, if you export all that gobbo junk do you get credit for that?
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 07:54:30 pm »

It counts for trading but it doesn't go to your exported wealth total.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »

So unless the traders get it in their heads to bring massive quantities of platinum bars there's no way to "launder" the value of all that laundry.

(har har)
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 01:23:08 am »

Build your killing zone directly above either your trade center or your atom smasher.  a few squares behind the kill zone dig a trench down so you can drop stuff directly down to the trade center or smasher.

Other suggestion - Agile dwarves move faster.  Send all your packing dwarves to Catapult school for 2 years and watch how much faster Legendary Engineers pack stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3