Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water levels with created Waterfalls  (Read 410 times)

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water levels with created Waterfalls
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:27:55 pm »

So, my current megaproject involves a large room.  Which I do NOT want flooded.  However, I would like to have grates/glass floor with running water underneath.  Maybe even some spickets placed here and there spewing said water into grates, for effect.

However, in my previous playing arounds with water, I've noticed it had this odd tendency to stack on top of itself instead of flowing out underneath.  Which has me worried that if I have said contraption it will flood my lovely room.

The design I had in mind was a Floor made of Grates (not entirely of grates, but there will be several of them) at Level X.  Unpressurized water would be located at level x-1, running all throughout the floor.   It would not be conected to any renewable source of water.  I would then Have screwpumps at level X+1 (maybe higher) pumping water directly above a grate (or empty space, depends on how I feel at the time)  Which would, then, hopefully, fall right back into level x-1.

Will this work?  Or will I end up with red spam "Canceled Job, dnagerous terrain" ?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Water levels with created Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »

Well, the screw pump will end up pressurizing the water for one, so you could end up with a small amount of flooding depending upon how fast the water is flowing, though I doubt it, since it's a closed system.

I just had this great idea about water body separation, which I would love to test some day.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »

Well there's always the "lets do it and find out" Option.

And should I fail.... I've always wanted to create a water temple-esque Fortress for Adventure Mode.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:41:06 am »

In my experience, grates let the water through and will flood you if it's pressurized to a level above the level of the grates (which a waterfall necessarily would be, I suppose), so the glass floor is probably the way to go.  Water gushing from the walls into the floor might be tricky, but if you're careful, I'll bet you could minimize the danger and get the nice effect without anyone (important) dying.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:53:25 am »

I recently tried this and what I found was that if the water is on Z-1, the waterfall lands on top of it and you get pooling on the main floor. A closed system will drain this fairly quickly of course, and if you have 3/7 or something water below you won't get much pooling at all.

I also tried digging down a z-level so the waterfall landed at z-2 from the main floor. In that case there was no pooling but the splashing made a big area muddy. What I ended up doing was having the dwarves enter through a room containing the waterfall. I still got tons of cancellation spam but I just ignored it.

Here's a shot of the room. The fort died and I had to reclaim to get the pic, I never thought to put the map on DFMA when it was alive. :( The room is made from an underground pool I drained and dug out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:02:25 am by Scarpa »