Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Probably a daft question -- can retracted bridges be destroyed?  (Read 1233 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Since retracted bridges don't retract any particular way, can an enemy destroy them? I'd imagine not, but I wondered if anyone knew for sure.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Probably a daft question -- can retracted bridges be destroyed?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:24:43 pm »

No. Retracted grates and hatches can be, however.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:22 pm »

Nothing built with the <b, C, _> command can be destroyed.  Ever.

Any furniture placed with the < b > command can be destroyed by some creatures, retractable or not.  That includes doors, hatches, floodgates, statues, etc etc etc.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:37:44 am »

Unless it caves in.

Any furniture placed with the < b > command can be destroyed by some creatures, retractable or not.  That includes doors, hatches, floodgates, statues, etc etc etc.

Unless it's a bridge which is retracted in no direction, effectively vanishing and untouchable by units, which is what the OP is specifically asking about in this thread.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 01:32:13 am »

A bridge is not furniture.  Ever.   ::)

]Unless it caves in.

I coulda sworn the OP used the word "enemies".  Specifically.

Sheesh. Read for content.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:12 am »

A bridge is not furniture.  Ever.   ::)

]Unless it caves in.

I coulda sworn the OP used the word "enemies".  Specifically.

Sheesh. Read for content.

I coulda sworn you used the word "ever". Specifically.

As in "not only applying to this situation, but to every situation ever" kind of ever. Ever thought about it like that?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:56:30 am »

i recommend a further underlining of 'furniture' in your second statement. otherwise it can appear (but not necessarily does to all readers) that you are saying:
i) <b, C, _> = can not be destroyed;
ii) <b, _> = can be destroyed.
when in fact you are saying for the latter (ii) statement <b, 'furniture'> (which does not include bridges and some other 'b' things) = can be destroyed.

just for clarity's sake.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:53:32 am »

bridges can be destroyed though, no? channel out where they're attached and see.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »

Aspgren - grab the reins.  Or just read the OP.

Yes, ANYTHING can be destroyed - but not by enemies.  We're talking about "by enemies" - or at least the OP was, and I have been.

(For your future reference, this is called "a context", something important in language.  For many of us, anyway.)

No, I don't always bother to add conditions to my answers based on questions that are NOT asked.

Bridges can also be destroyed by <d, n> - but your own dwarves are rarely considered "enemies". ymmv.

zooey - "furniture" is furniture, as defined in the game menus and the wiki. Bridges simply are not "furniture", any more than walls or towers are.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:05:34 pm by Albedo »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:13:17 pm »

But bridges are neither furniture nor constructions, so your first reply wasn't really answering the OP, which is where I think all the confusion is coming from.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:23:34 pm »

I think dragons and collosi and other building destroyers can destroy bridges, just like in those hilarious stories of dwarves throwing tantrums destroying bridges over magma moats.

As for whether or not a retracted bridge is able to be destroyed, I believe it can, but it depends also on how the building destroyer can access it.

If you build the bridge such that none of its tiles are over any land, I don't think it could be destroyed. But if you build it with one or more tiles touching land, then I think a dragon or collossus may be able to destroy it.

I am speculating here, and I could very well be wrong.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:31:12 pm »

This thread has been derailed.

Most things in dwarf fortress (walls, bridges, locked doors, floodgates, grates,) ect, ect, can not be destroyed by the average creature (human, goblin, other dwarfs), while they can be destroyed by unique ones (dragons, bronze colossus, ect.)

If it's a drawbridge made of anything but bauxite it can be destroyed by magma, if a bridge "retracts" I assume the same is true.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:22:43 pm »

This thread has been derailed.

Most things in dwarf fortress (walls, bridges, locked doors, floodgates, grates,) ect, ect, can not be destroyed by the average creature (human, goblin, other dwarfs), while they can be destroyed by unique ones (dragons, bronze colossus, ect.)

If it's a drawbridge made of anything but bauxite it can be destroyed by magma, if a bridge "retracts" I assume the same is true.

The mechanism also has to be magma safe. If its a steel drawbridge with a marble mechanism, the mechanism will melt and the steel will deconstruct into bars/blocks, even though the steel itself will not melt.

If any part of the building melts, the entire building will go.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »

If you build the bridge such that none of its tiles are over any land, I don't think it could be destroyed. But if you build it with one or more tiles touching land, then I think a dragon or collossus may be able to destroy it.
That would make sense. On the other hand, building destroyers can break things without being on their tiles -- statues are impassable but destroyable, and locked doors are impassible until broken.

I don't seem to have had much luck with testing. Giving a spare animal [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] didn't do anything even when I walled it in with a workshop... I thought that kind of thing didn't need a regen?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 08:16:27 am »

Well, was it a hostile animal?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: [1] 2