Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Non-generic statues!  (Read 7873 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-generic statues!
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2009, 03:23:09 pm »

So... adding more random objects solves the problem of too many random objects?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »

I understand your point...  I disagree with you, but I understand what you want. 

As far as statues not making sense, there was a statue of a cloud linked earlier.  Bloated Tubers and Squares exist too, although the point I'm making is more 'statues in real life don't make any sense either' rather than anything else.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »

this whole thing is really fascinating. 

the desire for the feature, the probable expected results (as in community reaction) after implementing it, the ACTUAL community reaction, and what i imagine must be a fairly picard-esque headsmack reaction from development TO the community reaction.

i remember some anthropologists or psychologists or sociologists or one of those bullshit "sciences" did a study on the culture of "anonymous" and how it has developed in places like 4chan and its implications for larger society.  something similar could probably be gleaned from threads like this.

theres probably also something interesting to be studied about capacity for empathy, ability to frame problems from multiple perspectives, and senses of entitlement.

please continue.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2009, 03:45:05 pm »

How so?  I don't see much subtext here.  New feature, some like, some don't.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »

Alright, look... Everybody stop being pissy, angry, and annoying, and talk about how god-damned ridiculous the idea of Mr. Potatohead sculptures all over Rhode Island is.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2009, 04:23:27 pm »

huh? Updates? Where?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

But wait... that doesn't mean it's playable by us yet, right? This is just things he's finished that will be available in the next release? The release we can get hasn't changed since Sept. 6 2008, right?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2009, 04:32:17 pm »

the desire for the feature, the probable expected results (as in community reaction) after implementing it, the ACTUAL community reaction, and what i imagine must be a fairly picard-esque headsmack reaction from development TO the community reaction.

i remember some anthropologists or psychologists or sociologists or one of those bullshit "sciences" did a study on the culture of "anonymous" and how it has developed in places like 4chan and its implications for larger society.  something similar could probably be gleaned from threads like this.

theres probably also something interesting to be studied about capacity for empathy, ability to frame problems from multiple perspectives, and senses of entitlement.

please continue.

Did you just insinuate that anthropology, sociology, AND psychology are "bullshit" and not actually science?

Hoo boy.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2009, 04:37:31 pm »

huh? Updates? Where?

But wait... that doesn't mean it's playable by us yet, right? This is just things he's finished that will be available in the next release? The release we can get hasn't changed since Sept. 6 2008, right?

Correct... For now. Technically. Unless you count the various 40D# versions.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2009, 06:03:17 pm »

Did you just insinuate that anthropology, sociology, AND psychology are "bullshit" and not actually science?

Hoo boy.

I think he did.  I'm not sure how much I want to agree with him.  After all, anthropology and sociology have a hard time testing their theories.  Sociologists and Anthropologists are definitely a step up from historians when it comes to science though.  On the other hand, Sociologists and Anthropologists actually do do studies which they (theoretically) base their papers on.

[/derailment]As to the original topic, I think the new statuary is awesome.  Having statues of the symbols of governance in my fort will be pretty awesome.  Also, that statue of a gauntlet would be pretty cool to put in the military wing while the tentacle demon would be cool WHEREVER it goes.

As to the whole debate on whether this will increase the amount of junk people have to make to get what they want, I personally prefer changing my plans based on my dwarves over changing my dwarves based on my plans.  So long as nobles don't demand specific statues before we have the option to control that, I don't think this update will cause any real problems.

Also, if the duke ends up with a gold statue of the sheriff striking down a criminal, would he be more inclined to be agreeable, or less?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2009, 06:24:48 pm »

while the tentacle demon would be cool WHEREVER it goes.
Build it by someones bed while they are sleeping. ;D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »

huh? Updates? Where?

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2009, 07:09:32 pm »

huh? Updates? Where?

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0

Forsaken - my understanding is that doesn't include all the new developments. It's just everything up to 40d, using OpenGl differently to (theoretically) speed it up. Am I wrong on that note?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2009, 07:32:45 pm »

Indeed, that thread is purely for graphical and optimization regarding graphics updates. No new game content will be inside AFAIK.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2009, 07:32:57 pm »

I have no idea why the 40d13 sucks so hard, but it had so many things wrong! It was faster- oh yeah, but it kept refusing my key presses, didn't recognise keys, had weird default settings, reacted weirdly to various things, and eventually just crashed, forcing me to uninstall it and hold my breath till the next update comes out.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »

There are pages upon pages of this over in suggestions.  There's a pretty solid continuum of opinions, from being able to select exactly what you want, to selecting catagories, to the catagories being chosen by context, to the dwarf doing whatever he damn well pleases, and now to not having descriptions whatsoever. 

If I recall correctly, there was even a poll based on it, as well as someone who dug up all the dev comments on why things were the way they were.

Im not saying no descriptions whatsoever, just that I would rather the interface for this type of thing be fleshed out and smoothed over before we add more random constructions.

How about the statues just have a different set of random objects than engravings?  Statues of squares and clouds or bloated tubers doesnt make sense to me. Hell...that never made sense for engravings either!

What about having two different types of statues, craft statues and Historical Statues.  Historical statues should always have random historical figures, or figures from the current fort.  Craft statues could still be random junk.
I said the same thing in my earlier post, except I called craft statues of random junk "Sculptures"
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8