Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exploits  (Read 1491 times)

ktstyle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Exploits
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:30:23 pm »

Hello, fellow dwarven gods. Lets collect some exploits and imbalances that make the game too easy.

My share:
The price of prepared food. Especially lavish meals. A single good cook can easily produce enough value to buy out even the first autumn caravan. A stack of staple food roast goes for up to several thousands of dwarfbucks. Later, when ingredients like cheese or dwarven milk become available, prices rise obscenely high. 15000 and more are totally normal then. With maximum value ingredients and a legendary cook, the value can and sometimes does reach 7 digit numbers. So forget your export rock mugs and platinum statues. They are just a waste of time and workforce.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Exploits
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:44:45 pm »

Not quite as bad, but you make a serious dent in a caravan's inventory with the collected armor from just one destroyed Goblin siege.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:47:01 pm »

Note I don't really have a problem with these but...

Carving fortifications into the edge tiles of a map (allows for easy water draining and easy magma proof 'grates'.
Dwarven Atom Smasher (draw bridge crushing all objects to nothingness).
Dwarven black hole a.k.a the garbage dump.
and I think placing a floor tile over an engraved square (I believe this gives you extra value as the engraving isn't destroyed).

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:55:02 pm »

Walls are completely indestructable  ;D

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:14:55 pm »

Building a fortress high up on a cliff and then destroying all the paths up to it. caravans will come to your fortress by the only means possible, while goblin sieges havea 3 in 4 chance of coming in on another edge and wandering about pointlessly.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:45:35 pm »

One all-time favorite exploit. "Supply and Deconstruction".

Have a Trade Depot ready, wait for a caravan to arrive, after they unload all of their goods into it, deconstruct the TD.

The end result, free stuff. Though, it's best advised to get a decent relationship with other races/caravans in order to minimize negative impact doing this.

Excellent for megaprojects. But, I feel megaprojects are more fun to execute when following the rules. It adds to the challenge factor. Let's not forget the side-effect that occurs in which you get one hell of an ambush or siege the very next season after the first robbery. Be well prepared.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:59:41 pm »

some people consider cooking booze an exploit.  some people consider using sealed areas (moats, walls, drawbridges) an exploit, or unavoidable trap cooridoors.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:26:15 pm »

The rarity of [buildingdestroyer] tags makes a walled fortress with a floodgate door attached to a lever impenetrable to everything but an ambush, megabeast, or goblin siege with many many trolls.

A SoF that boils water from half a dozen tiles away can be trapped in an oaken cage (granted, you have to stage a cave in to trap them).

A legendary Marksdwarf can fire bolts as fast as he can pick them up from the stockpile right next to him. If these guys were real, Gatling never would have invented his gun.

Bolts can be decorated. The decoration is applied to all 25 bolts, increasing the value by much more than applying the same decoration to a simple platinum statue.

Some ores have the same material value as their bars. A Platinum Nugget statue is just as valuable as a Platinum statue, but uses 1/3 as much material.

Not an exploit, but traps are far too powerful. A 3x1 set of weapon traps drove off a modded orc siege (removed their trap immunity).

Quantum stockpiles of stone can be built next to workshops. 3000 stones in a single square by simply dumping them there. Makes clearing out the mountain a breeze.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:34 pm »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:34:25 pm »

a simple channel will keep everything but flying creatures out.

Champions will kill anything and are only beaten when ranged units are around(see crossbow exploit)

a square of 1 deep water turns into a wall of ice which melts into a 7 deep square of water.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:33:38 pm »

- Champions being able to munch through entire sieges without issue.

- Consequence-free drowning of caravans.

- Humans giving up sieging after two failed ones.

- Ranged weapons being all-powerful.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:49:19 am »

a simple channel will keep everything but flying creatures out.

Champions will kill anything and are only beaten when ranged units are around(see crossbow exploit)

a square of 1 deep water turns into a wall of ice which melts into a 7 deep square of water.

It's worse then that. All creatures use dwarf pathfinding to check if areas are 'accessible' so if you have no dwarf-walkable path across your moat, flying creatures will not fly over it. If there is another path but flying is quicker they will fly over it, but there must be a dwarf walkable path.

This is the same reason building destroyers won't actually smash locked doors if they are the only way in. Two locked doors the only way in the fort? you're totally safe. Convoluted back door set up so your king can escape? they are smashing those doors in to get him (if it's shorter then sneaking in the back way).

Champions with legendary wrestler and legendary shield use are also fairly immune to archers as well as everything else. The only thing you really have to watch out for is the legendary creatures from worldgen who have boosted stats/skills. Normal goblins (or whatever) might get the lucky shot now and then but it's pretty rare.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 03:15:09 am »

You can stop a dwarf being "On break" by drafting him and instantly undrafting him.

...I think all the others I know have been covered
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 05:09:14 am »

Underground fortresses. Impossible to lose with an underground fortress and just a few dedicated champions.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:17:00 am »

Practically everything used in defense at this point: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38699.0
Pages: [1] 2