Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question regarding specific negative thoughts.  (Read 672 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question regarding specific negative thoughts.
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:20:30 pm »

In my current fortress (the one with the hippos gave me a random crash and got frustrated at the loss of my progress and so killed that one, this new one is a better site IMO anyways), I'm in a situation where I can't gather food without risking my two harvesters/farmers getting killed. So, does the negative thought 'tired of the same old food/booze' give big modifiers or is it easily nullified by a legendary dining room or whatever. Although a legendary dining room would nullify alot of bad thoughts, my question is basically how powerful of a negative bad thought is it.

The 'same old drink' is more likely to show up since it's easy to get other food stuff besides plump helmets from the merchants.

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding specific negative thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:38:37 pm »

Um... why can't you harvest your crops without putting your farmers at risk?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »

I'm talking about the shrubs, not the farms.

Basically I'm in a desert and the corner part of the map is the only area where there are shrubs and trees. However, a chasm opens out right into that area and there are ratmen and naked mole dogs. I tried having them gather the plants, but one of my farmers ended up getting mobbed by ratmen and severely injured. He wasn't dead when I decided to go back to the save from a few minutes before, but it was clear they were about to kill him. Since it's still in the first year, I don't want to risk my dwarves right now.

Of course though, it's only a matter of time before they get killed, either of old age (the naked mole dogs are already dying off and summer just started) or the first caravan that passes through massacres them.

I'm also asking this out of curiosity really.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:45:35 pm »

See wiki: "thought" - there's a chart.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:48:32 pm »

I did see that, but the same old booze/food entry doesn't have a number after it.

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:50:32 pm »

Someone should try to find the numbers for them all...

Can you not build an underground farm?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 02:53:23 pm »

I'm not complaining about not bieng able to access food, my UG farm is pretty productive already.

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:58:51 pm »

Alright.

Well, I don't know exactly how much that thought affects your dwarves. As far as negative thoughts go, I think it's a rather small one. I've managed fortresses using only raw plump helmets as food.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:00:41 pm »

okay, good to know.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 03:51:19 pm »

I use pretty much just plump helmets. The occasional strawberry wine or longland beer stops my dwarves from going apeshit and everything runs smoothly. An aboveground alcohol farm is worthwhile, just little 1-2 by 1-2 farms for growing a wide variety of crops in low quantities will stop the dwarves from ever have bad thoughts, and you only need to collect one plant or seed to start the whole process off.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:38 pm »

As far as negative thoughts go, I think it's a rather small one.

There are very few negative thoughts that are not "small".  Unless you're talking about losing loved ones, you can pile up a number of bad thoughts before you see any ill effects. Since dwarves with totals as low as -50 are "fine", it's very hard to gauge how big these are exactly, especially with the usual mix of good and bad.

The process is more complicated than "I didn't see any problem when I tried it."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:03:17 pm »

I was going to get meats and fish from the merchants (as well as other types of booze), which should work as well in staving off that bad thought.

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 05:50:18 pm »

I think the only major bad thoughts are the ones dealing with death. Or not being able to complete a legendary artifact, which usually leads to death.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 07:04:03 pm »

single masterwork defacement is one of the largest. Had a legendary weaponsmith almost kill himself when I melted one of his masterwork iron bolts down. The horror!

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:10 pm »

Haha!

You could have kept it and used it to take down tough enemies. Someone shoots a dragon with it, and the dragon thinks "Ooo! What high quality this bolt is! I can see images of diorite scepters! And elephants!"

Meanwhile, you pincushion him.
Pages: [1] 2