Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 6, Turn 2:You've got a bug on you...)  (Read 44758 times)

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile

To adventure!

Except not. Given that it's pretty late into the day, I'm going to go back across the traps before they reset, drop my backpack off between the traps and the iron gate, and go through the hole in the bars to collect firewood. Unless the way I came was total mountain... then I'll explore the... courtyard area I'm currently in for firewood.
Search for firewood, then bring it between the traps and the iron gate, and start setting up a large fire right in front of the hole in the iron fence. If I fail to find firewood, I guess I'm just exploring the area until I do find some!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

@Teammates-Imma head back to the quarry guys, I need to catch up on some sleep-if you run into trouble, feel free to retreat to there, but I don't feel really comfortable in this area. See you in the morning!

Actions

Hmm, Ill snag all the sewing tools for myself, along with

1xHatchet
1xKnife
1xsmall Hammer
1xFile and Drill
1xset of Leather Stretching tools

Then discard my inferior bone knife and needle.

Then, head back to the quarry! One more night, I swear! Tell Drag/Tehs where I'm going, that they can come, and I'll open the door if they knock 2 times, pause and knock again. Whenever I get there, secure the doors, eat my bread and go to sleep.

My leather should be ready to stretch correct? Use my stretching tools for that, before I go to sleep.

Yah, all too much for one turn prolly, let my actions carry over unless something drastic happens.

Now that I notice it, I do seem to be RP'ing the Kobold packrat mentality quite well!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

Day 4, Turn 14: Order: Reece (6!), Ajax (4!), Dragnar (3!,5!), Dwareet'ik (3!,1!) (No order change again...)

Reece and Dragnar-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ajax-

Dwareet'ik-
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 4: Turn 14: Holy rusted metal Dragnar!)
« Reply #528 on: December 04, 2009, 05:33:18 pm »

Okay you are all boned.  Come back later, guys.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 4: Turn 14: Holy rusted metal Dragnar!)
« Reply #529 on: December 04, 2009, 06:03:12 pm »

Can I enter a martial trance? Also, I wonder if my strengthen metal rune would work on a rust monster like healing magic on a undead... not gonna test that theory though, might end up just fighting an ordinary metal golem.

This is going to take careful planning... If this were a magma forge we could try to push it in, but it doesn't appear to be, and a straight fight against something made of metal would be a bad idea. Any ideas?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 04, 2009, 06:05:29 pm »

IT MIGHT MAKE IT DOCILE, BRO.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 04, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »

How about we run? And I thought our luck rolls before were bad. Gah.

In any case, its a skeletal rust monster, we're wounded, and I'm unsettled. There must be some way to get the doors locked behind us.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 04, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »

Actually our wounds are gone, nothing left but bruises. I don't wanna run away... I don't wanna die... Hmm...

If we do fight it, I recommend using the wooden weapons, it'll just eat normal ones. Our chances would improve drastically if I can enter a martial trance, but if not... I don't know.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 04, 2009, 07:14:01 pm »

You are not outnumbered.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 04, 2009, 07:54:57 pm »

You are not outnumbered.
Shh! You know that, and I know that, but I don't know that, so it might work!

...any plan that relies on Red Mage-like "logic" is doomed from the start.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 04, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »

Wall of text incoming!

@Drag/Tehs: They got us surrounded boys! Time for our final stand...I say you fight it out, then run if things go bad. You can run-said creature can't move fast, or even open the door you used to get in here.

Your facing what it roughly a Golem, that eats metal of course, but being a skeleton it more likely absorbs it rather than physically chewing on it, I guess. You have crappy wooden swords, but it should be enough...dismember it at the legs-it can't hurt you very much without legs...so bash it to pieces, and leave it to stare at the ceiling for eternity lol. A nice idea might be to lure into the doorway then close it on it, hopefully damaging it. I can't imagine said creature moving very fast without falling apart, nor being very intelligent. Use this to your advantage. Lure it into a trap with some tasty metal, and bash it apart. Ironic, if I was to join you guys, my staff, which is made of stone, would be quite useful here. You could try using your torches on the monster-if it feels pain, awesome. If not, you've got an angry steel monster with heated fists. Drag, you got strengthen metal? Try to make it the opposite way, to weaken metal. It's a long shot, but it is worth it. In conclusion, this monster is nearly an nearly unstoppable force-if it's like a bronze golem, only removing the head will kill it permanently, and it will never tire or feel any wounds past a critical hit dismemberment.

That's all I can say, without some kind of monster lore roll-I'm not sure if its literally made of rusted metal, or a metal golem that became rusted, or a living creature that eats rust and deposits it on it's skin as a natural defense.

Then again, you could run away...that's a plan! This thing eats metal, so it will chase Dragnar to Hell and back as long as he is carrying his iron sword and breastplate, other than that it is merely defending its territory-again, this is a guess, this thing might be evil, and kill for fun. The breastplate is far more resistant than any of your iron to rust, remember that. At worst Drag might look like the statue of liberty. Drop the goods and back away slowly?

Actions
Sneak back to the "special crafts" room, shut the door and stack some bins against it so no one can open it without a alerting me, hopefully.

If I am pursued, lead them into the traps and Curse them from afar, preferably with some kind of mental damage like, "your brain is on fire!" from Nethack's Kobold Shamans. If I get a successful spell off, can you add it to my spell list, btw?

If they retreat, take the time to loot any bodies of trinkets, gold, gem encrusted socks etc before moving on.

If they continue to pursue me, continue in the direction I last saw Drag and Tehs go, trying to get their help.

If I get to safety, eat my bread and get some sleep.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 04, 2009, 08:56:46 pm »

Hmm, weaken metal would probably work. It's already rusted, a little more and it might fall apart. There's really nowhere to run with those goblins out there(missed that when I read it the first time) so it looks like we have to fight. We should definitely aim for the limbs, damage to the body won't do more than slow it down. It's probably starving, so I'll throw my sword down the hallway at the start of the fight, hopefully allowing us a few free his while it chases after it.

That's all I can say, without some kind of monster lore roll-I'm not sure if its literally made of rusted metal, or a metal golem that became rusted, or a living creature that eats rust and deposits it on it's skin as a natural defense.
I would guess, "made of rusted metal" given that it is supposed to be the bane of smiths.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 04, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »

My plan, the doors. If we can surround it, its not going to be quite as threatening. How wide is the hallway? If its one dwarf wide,  it might just be possible to corner this thing, then knock it around. If possible, just lock the darn thing in there, and continue our search elsewhere.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 05, 2009, 12:48:55 am »

Ideas so far:

-I'll try a rune of weaken metal
-we try to surround it
-use wooden weapons
-aim for the limbs
-enter martial trance!(if possible)

-run away(is there anywhere else to go? there's a monster here, and goblins where we came from)

-lock the door, hope it can't get through

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 05, 2009, 12:52:20 am »

We should definately lock the door first, and position ourselves on either side. Hopefully it might hamper it enough to get a few good shots in while it dealt with the door, and I assumed we would flee deeper. Wish the Kobold was here. He proved useful against the undead.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53