Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 6, Turn 2:You've got a bug on you...)  (Read 44778 times)

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 4: Turn 6: Who is YOUR next of kin?)
« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:15 am »

shouldn't that wait until I see whats down there?
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 4: Turn 6: Who is YOUR next of kin?)
« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »

Day 4, Turn 8: Order:Reece (4!,5!,5!), Dragnar (6!), Keris (4!,5!,4!), Dwareet'ik (3!); New order: Dragnar, Reece, Keris, Dwareet'ik

Dragnar-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reece-

Keris-(A.W.O.L.)

Dwareet'ik-

Keris is no longer with us. Major Sephiroth hasn't posted for a few days now so I'm assuming it's either lack of interest or some other thing that has happened. I've put his character on ice and will give him the option of returning if it turns out to be his desire. Of course, bad things happen while you're unconcious around goblins so if he waits too long, he'll likely have died of starvation, thirst or abuse. Murderquest indeed.

That means, Anti-Paragon, you're officially up. You have until Monday to post. I'll need starting location and action for now and I'll let you know what else when I work up your character tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:00:35 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, perhaps we should be by the door? They can't get past, and it would give us a good chokepoint no?
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Agreed, retreat to the door then fight!

This shouldn't be too hard, zombies are useless without overwhelming numbers. What could possibly go wrong!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Actions
Investigate the sound...sneakily. I'll react depending on what I see, and what happens to see me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:54:22 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I drink some water, so I'm not thirsty for the fight, then look around, trying to see if anything could be useful for a fight between zombies, while readying my wooden longsword.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile

Excellent! Time to probably horribly die again before doing anything!

Regardless. Incoming infodump.
Spoiler: "Combat style" (click to show/hide)
Starting from the north.
Atheist for the time being.
Preferred starting equip is bow, arrows, knife (+usual food'n'stuff).

For my turn:
For a starting action, I'll be doing what any ranger does. Hunting random fauna! Perhaps I didn't even know there was some ruins here and just came across it all happenstance. Obvious observation check is obvious. Oh. Uh. If I don't have a bow or ammo, I'm totally using rocks.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Oy, welcome back Anti-Paragon. We'll see how your character rolls-I'm guessing you'll get at least a crossbow, though whether you have any ammo and it's quality are up in the air.

Nice strategy, though! Shoot and scoot! Don't let them get close!
Your worst problem is going to be rolling 1s on observation rolls and getting ambushed, like me with the wolves.

Interesting you chose crossbow. It's much better for dungeon running than a long bow, because you can fire and reload in cramped spaces without drawback, and it has more power at short range-nice for when you open a door and see a dozen demon rats. Then again, it's a pretty big gamble on one shot, as reload times are long. You will have to be very observant of your surroundings to survive!

And you will be forced into melee combat, I think, so I say don't neglect your melee skills entirely. Don't be afraid to use your knife/club whatever to finish off a wounded enemy and save some arrows.

As I suggested with sephiroth, make some specialty ammo when you have the skill, time and resources. A blunt headed arrow could knock apart a skeleton or zombie, a bodkin arrow can go through armor etc.

Other than that, don't die! Srsly!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile

But I'm good at dying! :|
But yeah, I'm generally pretty good with the whole preparation thing. It's just a matter of not getting horrible rolls constantly - another thing I'm good at.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, this round of combat should be fun.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 4: Turn 8: I thought we were friends!!!)
« Reply #445 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:05 am »

Now now, if he runs out of ammo, he does what any proper dwarf does, and starts swinging the crossbow around, smashing in faces!

Remember, a crossbow hurts just as hard as a warhammer of the same material and quality.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 4: Turn 8: I thought we were friends!!!)
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »

Whoa dude. I'm not crazy enough to try to melee with my crossbow. I don't even have an infant!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2009, 08:28:21 pm »

Crossbows deal slightly less damage than a warhammer in melee.

Aren't they comparable to picks?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 02, 2009, 11:43:48 am »

(Combat coming up so this will take me a little bit longer than normal)
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 02, 2009, 10:24:54 pm »

Must be one heck of a combat!

Anyway, yeah. I know crossbows are good in combat, but knowing my luck, it'll break on my first swing. Then I'll really be out of luck. Well, I'll be dead probably, from the other horrible rolls during combat. Which leads back to why I'm keeping a 'stay away!' attitude.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53