Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 6, Turn 2:You've got a bug on you...)  (Read 44774 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 3: Turn 3:Insult to injury!)
« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2009, 06:59:37 pm »

Much better! I finally have some basic combat skills now ;D

Paulus, Did I manage to get some piety for that undead kill, by the way, or not? Maybe I don't always feel "warmth" from it, but obtain it all the same?

Actions
Patch up and wash the leg with my last herb/bandage pack, then make sure that zombies dead. When I make sure of it, gather up some of the usable bones from it. Then backtrack to the cave and follow the blood trail outwards.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2009, 07:04:15 pm »

Ooh. Hmm. I suppose I don't have a lot of room to work with, since they're right at the corpses, but I might as well take the shot.
Alright, I'll discreetly light a second torch and set it down where I am, then I'll try to find a relatively hidden location (even if I have to duck around the corner) and pull out a few small stones and try to peg one of them with one until it decides to come over here.

Should I manage to split them up: I'll let the one following get some distance away (if I can, completely from sight of the other ones but not near Cius) before engaging. I put away my smaller stones and grab ahold of the other torch and take it with me if I need to back up that much.
Anyway, the opening attack(s) will be to try to bludgeon or spear the zombie in the head with the mostly-spent torch. Hard. As in I don't care if the torch breaks hard. After that, we start dealing out the knuckles. It's undead, and slow, so most of my attacks will be about dealing serious hits, stepping back, letting it come towards me, and striking again. This should lower how many attacks it can get on me (in theory, anyway...). If anything on me gets broken (bodily, that is) or in serious pain, retreat, lead it off track, whatever. If I best the zombie, I'll take a little break to catch my breath and then go after the other one.

If they both come after me: Immediately get to some open ground. Do not get caught by a wall (but don't get myself attacked in the process, either!) Drop the fresh torch somewhere open so it lights the area properly and proceed to engage.
I'll want to keep moving around them in circles as to make them keep stumbling over each other. Don't trip on the rats! If I run into any of the rats or other debris, boot them out of the way. Firstly, look to see if either zombie has anything flammable on them - clothing scraps, severely dry skin, hair - and prod when that zombie is in front of the other one, prod it with the mostly-used torch in hopes of igniting it. After that, it's all a matter of the dance, I don't want to run around them like a blazing fool and tire myself out, but I want them running into each other almost all the time as I strafe around them. When one of the zombies is blocking the other (unless it's flaming - actually, if it's flaming, do it anyway, but not twice if it burns me) I hit the front one in the head-upper body with a staggering blow, attempting to knock both of them over at once. If I simply stagger it and make it recoil, shove the bastard over. Once they are down, pummel their legs first, or tear them apart, or joint lock them - incapacitate their legs somehow. If I manage to incapacitate one, just start beating the standing one up (with the patten for fighting a single zombie, above) while keeping the crawling one out of range by (again) circling the standing one. If they're both down, finish them off with legwork - sweeps, stomps, punts, etc. The rules to keep above all in any circumstance is to stay away from any obstructing objects and if you ever get grappled, move away from the other zombie, even if it means the grappling zombie gets a free attack. Do not let them both latch on, ever.

Finally, if things get bad (two grappling zombies) at least try to pray to someone. A God of Karma or good or something.

I realize I may stratigize a bit too much here. <.< Sorry about that, I'm just really fond of tactics. If it's getting annoying, please tell me and I'll cut back. Paulus, that is. If the rest of you don't like it, you can bite my little monky tush.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:08:36 pm by Anti-Paragon »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2009, 07:23:43 pm »

I'll say good luck to ya Paragon...at least you have basic dodging/melee for your first fight!

Funny, I actually planned to clean up the area of corpses when I got back down, because of this reason. Though I was more worried about *rat* zombies  ;)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2009, 07:30:58 pm »

Thanks for the best wishes. I hope I covered every angle and that my 1 and 2 streaks are behind me.
As for the potential for zombies... rats, elves, they're all vermin anyway. No difference. =P

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2009, 07:33:26 pm »

Okay... Well I sneakily sneak in the other direction, but I'll keep an eye out to see if they have followed me.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »

This remind me of a story in the D&D rulebook I had that described a scenario in which a player was using a Staff of the Magi as a backscratcher because it looked like a stick.

In any case, meditate on what awesome powers this artifact could have. Who knows, I might get lucky.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:31 pm »

Probably +5 epic staff of major cash.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2009, 10:28:21 pm »

I'm betting a +3 scepter of attract lightning.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2009, 10:32:48 pm »

+9 Enemies raise from the dead.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2009, 10:52:07 pm »

+3.14159265 scepter of swallow own tongue.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2009, 10:53:17 pm »

+3 scepter of scepter identification

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »

Scepter of identification identification.

You identify the scepter as a Scepter of identification identification. You identify that you have identified the scepter. You have identified that you identified the identification. You Identify that you identify...

Cius has gone stark raving mad!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:39:20 pm by Anti-Paragon »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »

"You identify this as an identify scroll."

Wait, no.

We'll see, I probably won't even find anything out about it, although I have this sneaky suspicion if I failed the splint roll badly, I would of activated the scepter and caused some nastiness to happen.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:44:29 pm by Mr.Person »
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2009, 05:29:09 am »

A fireball in your armpit would've kept you warm for the rest of your life.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »

A fireball in your armpit would've kept you warm for the rest of your short life.

Fix'd.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 53