Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress of Bones RTD(Crawl/DF) (Day 6, Turn 2:You've got a bug on you...)  (Read 44695 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

Welcome to my RTD. I've been planning on making one of these based loosely on three games I'm fond of. Crawl, Nethack and DF. So, this is essentially a community Crawl/Hack in a DF fortress. For those of you that have played those games you're already aware of one simple fact. You can die in almost any way imaginable.

I'm going to try and make this as consistent to the three worlds as possible. Since the fortress is a DF setting, most of the DF characteristics apply. However, magic is permissible, and the gods take a more active role than in DF. I will let you choose a character of the standard DF races, i.e. Human, Elf, Kobold, Dwarf or Goblin. They each have their bonuses and penalties. You will also get to choose your starting 'class' and these will loosely determine you're skill proficiencies. Nobody will start the game being able to cast spells. You're a commoner/starting adventurer fresh out in the world.

Skills come in varied levels and provide certain bonuses. As do items and many other things. This is designed to be a thinking game. Your actions determine how long you survive. I can't stress this enough, so I won't. I'll let your deaths attest to it.

You will be required to eat and drink and occasionally rest/sleep. Each day will be broken into 1 hour turns. All combat for the turn will be resolved within that turn. You will get 16 turns before you rest for eight turns so you will need to find/make secure locations. Weather will be a factor. As will encumbrance.

Your goal is to delve the ancient ruins of Geshud Osod, The Fortress of Bones. It's roughly fifteen hundred years since it's founding and has been a source of speculation and rumor for most of that time. Few have lived to see it, fewer have returned. I will be keeping a High Score list that delvers will be entered on. Each item you obtain at the fortress has an associated value. Your goal is to escape with as much wealth as possible! If you die, you'll be recorded on a separate list with an approximate value of goods found. For you to get a good score you have to survive or it doesn't count. Artifacts can have magical properties. As can some other items.

For expediency I'll allow no more than four players in at once and a waiting list of four players. If you die and you want to try again you'll be put on the end of the list (Whether or not there is room). Please don't take deaths personally.

I've not actually finished the fortress itself, but have a very good idea how I want the design to be, so that's not a problem. I will include screenshots and information from in game as I am able. The link to the story/community fort itself is:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19967.435

Geshud Osod starts on page 30. There will be hints and clues in the story as I go as to what you may be facing. It's still a work in progress but, to be honest, I expect it to be a little while before you actually make it into the fortress proper, and much longer than that before you actually begin to uncover some of my intended hidden secrets.

General RTD rules apply, however with a slight twist:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second post I'll reserve for a formal rule sheet.
The third post will be the High Score list.
The forth will be the introduction.

Current Players:
Dwarmin 

tehstefan

Dragnar

Anti-Paragon

Groveller-

Needs: Day 6, Turn 5

Waiting List:
Kel - Dwarf, Chaos knight (unarmed combat)
Olon Mikurst- Dwarf, Slayer (Axe preference, Zako)
Labs
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:44:09 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:05:55 pm »

Rules and Guidelines

Races:

Known Classes:

Known Deities:

Known Conditions/Status

Skills:

Action Difficulty: (Consult this if you have a question about rolls)

Stasis:

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:47:30 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »

High Score:

1. Cius (Player:Mr. Person)- Human monk, worshipper of Xom. 788 points (12 exploration points, 6 fame (for Large demon rat kills), 141 Skill points, 0 puzzle points, 1 spell point, 1 deity point, 600 Treasure points (at 10% rate), 2 minion points, Survivalist (25 points),
Cause of death:Blunt trauma to the head (PVP death)

2. Acile (Player:Sephiroth)- Elf assassin, 117 points (8 exploration points, 64 skill points, 20 puzzle points, +25 Fame points for attempting to kick a zombie cave bear to death)
Cause of death:Blood loss (Due to extreme injuries)

3. Weedo Su (Player:Anti-Paragon)- Human Monk, 107 points (10 exploration points, 71 skill points, 0 puzzle points, 1 spell point, +25 Good Samaritan bonus)

Cause of death: Blood loss (Due to organ removal while unconcious)

4. Zestorum- Battle-mage, 85 points (5 exploration points, 66 skill points, 10 puzzle points, 4 spell points)
Cause of death:Eaten away by acid (while unconcious)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:35:49 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:06:35 pm »

Geshud Osod: The fortress of Bones

The ancient walls of the once proud dwarven fortress stand before you in the distance. It is mid-summer and the air is still thick with pollen and insect life blowing through on the wind from the marshland to the west of the fortress. Even from this distance it's plain the walls are immense. They look large now and you're sure that as you approach they will only dwarf you further. Perhaps this is what the original dwellers had in mind. But you know there are ways in. There have to be.

Rumors have abounded for years of the untold wealth still guarded in hidden crypts and secret vaults. Very little has actually been recovered from the place and it remains, as ever a place of danger. But you're not afraid, or that's what you keep telling yourself. Perhaps you should be, it could be a survival instinct kicking in.

In any case, you've come to far now to turn back without something to show for it. You hope to make a name for yourself, and having braved the ruins and made your wealth in Geshud Osod is sure to increase your fame.

You have the choice to approach the fortress from whichever direction you choose. (The eight cardinal directions. N,S,E,W, and any two thereof.

Choose your race, class, gender and designate preferred weapon choice (class and race will determine weapon availability to start with) and I'll create a character for you. Then post what direction you wish to approach from.

Characters choosing to start from the same direction will encounter each other, at least initially. You may choose to work together entirely or you may choose how long you wish to work together. Individual items cannot be shared and fame cannot be either.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:20:43 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »

Do you have a list of classes to choose from or is pretty much anything within reason ok?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:48:05 pm »

Pretty much anything from the realms of DF, Nethack or Crawl are ok. But keep in mind we're in a DF world, so if you want to be a samurai you'll need to be human. Likewise, valkries for example should not be goblin or kobold. Or possibly elven. But I'll allow considerable flexibility here.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm up for this.
I'll take an elf, who is lithe, and an assassin if that is possible. If not, I'll go for a generic thief.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Name: Dwareet'ik
Race: Kobold
Class: Shaman
Weapon: 2 handed Staff

I'm the Kobold in the tribe that the honor of throwing poison at enemies, be it in dart, chemical or live insect form.

EDIT
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarmin, Sephiroth, you're both in. You're character sheets will be on the bottom of the first post. Updates will always happen there. Let me know if I miss something. Pending others, we'll probably start tomorrow.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I can pick a Crawl god, this will be all kinds of win. Minotaur Monk of Xom time, hehe. Think of it as sort of, "Screw my daily life, I'm gonna go into this dungeon and punch the SHIT out of some stuff, just as Xom would!"

If you don't like that, just make him a human. I don't care all that much. The idea is, this guy is bat shit insane , so he wants to see if he can get some stuff to cause untold chaos. At the very least, Xom should have a blast, what with going into a death trap and all.

Should be male, and should use the FURY of his fists as a weapon.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I'm going to be a shaman aswell. Who knows maybe I'll get godly 4d vision.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Zest...I mean...theirs so many choices for characters, can you please not steal mine  ;)

Either way, I take it as a compliment. But there can be only 1.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't mind, I'd like to play a human necromancer.

After all, someone has to be raising all those zombies and skeletons in DF. :)

If you're agreeable, then:

Name: Serephe
Race: Human
Class: Necromancer
Weapon: Ritual dagger

If not, I'll think of something else. :)

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile

Hope this works.

Name: Reece
Race: Human
Class: Knight
Weapon: Iron longsword
Skills: Swordsmanship
Armor user

EDIT: Someone beat me to it. oh well.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Acile, male, starting from the North.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53