Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HFS Discussion  (Read 1223 times)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS Discussion
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:50:22 pm »

Alright, I consider myself a really old player, but I haven't done much with HFS since the 3D version came out. I know its pretty bad. But I actively decided to seek out HFS for my latest fort. And I breached it a bit too early. Now the obvious solution of walling up the HFS has been taken and I will deal with them later. But my question is this, are there multiple pits or is it just on complex. I have like this multi-level cave thing in the middle of my nobles' chambers. So if I were to move the planned construction elsewhere do I need to worry about more pits disrupting the architecture?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:02:13 pm »

There is only 1 pit, so once revealed you don't need to worry about any more HFS.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:28:40 pm »

I am loving that it is located in your noble's quarters.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:14 pm »

Hopefully the Tax Collectors...
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »

Cause a cave in over the actual demon pit if you want to use the space.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:01:24 pm »

my HFS pit was located 1 square north of my barons chambers. luckily I didn't hit it when I was digging it out or I would have died (around 20 dwarves when I was digging it out....).

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »

wall the noble area in with the nobles inside and then make them prove that they're useful. Or make it the "guest chambers" for sieging goblins.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:23:34 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:15 am »

Thank you for the replies they were all quite helpful. I think I'll leave the demon space as is and try to work around it

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:20 am »

Make an airlock type room connected to it and set free all your captured gobbos.

Let the HFS annihilate them, then drown the HFS.  Drain room and repeat.
For best results, add elves.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:50:25 am »

Thank you for the replies they were all quite helpful. I think I'll leave the demon space as is and try to work around it

How's your FPS doing?

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:56:56 pm »

I have a question about the magma in the HFS. I just breeched my first HFS and I suppose I got lucky. Frog demons. They were cake for my champions. Even the demon went down easy but it's probably because I didn't know what to expect and I had the temperature turned off to improve my FPS.

There are 5 tiles of 7/7 magma. Is that it? There's no source of magma below it? Is there any way to move it reasonably? It's really a long ways away from my main fort and I would like to get a magma smelter and forge going.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:59:39 pm »

Pfft. Don't be such an elf. If magma won't come to you, you just set up an entirely new area to deal with magmaforges and the associated dwarves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:38 pm »

I have a question about the magma in the HFS. I just breeched my first HFS and I suppose I got lucky. Frog demons. They were cake for my champions. Even the demon went down easy but it's probably because I didn't know what to expect and I had the temperature turned off to improve my FPS.

There are 5 tiles of 7/7 magma. Is that it? There's no source of magma below it? Is there any way to move it reasonably? It's really a long ways away from my main fort and I would like to get a magma smelter and forge going.

That's it.

You CAN move it with a well designed pump system.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »

so, any demons that you have can be exausted, and they never respawn?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 08:26:39 pm »

I believe that the pump system would have to go something like this, unless I'm overcomplicating it:

Code: [Select]
#.pP_#
#_Pp.#
#.pP_#
#_Pp.Pp.Pp.Pp.
####_##_##_##mmm

#=stone
.=space
_=floor
m=magma
Repeat as necessary, and have fun sorting out the power supply.

You almost certainly won't be able to stop a 1/7 magma layer forming in the pit, but pumping the remaining magma into a single tile will make all of it available for further pumping. Assuming 5 units of magma are left behind, you'll be left with 30. That's enough to fill 7 linked squares to the 4/7 needed to power a magma building, but since you're not going to get 7 workshops out of it you might as well leave it at 6 squares.

That's all speculation though. Take it with a hefty pinch of salt.

(edited to add pump tower. Note that there has to be a space under the impassible tile of any pump on top of another.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:49:46 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2