Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves not practicing?  (Read 536 times)

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves not practicing?
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »

So I have this army, see? And my dwarves with the crossbows, they're having some issues with my archery ranges.

1: They used to practise, back in the day. Now, they sit around shouting "Urist McCrossbow cancels Shooting at Archery Range: No floor space."
2: I have ammunition (and a veritable flood of it at that), crossbows, quivers, the works. They are carrying the bows around. They are in my off-duty squad.
3: I have about ten targets, each individually designated as a room. After some initial stupidity on my part, they are all even set up to shoot in the right direction.
4: I fear the upcoming goblin onslaught. :(

Can anyone give me some help on this? I'm puzzled.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves not practicing?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:48:05 pm »

You need to make sure that your targets are facing the correct way. 'q' over them and double check.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »

Nope, they're definitely correctly aligned. Thank you though.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 01:53:28 pm »

No floor space? can we get a picture of these archery ranges? they have a good amount of range, right?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:57:48 pm »

Are the designated areas for shooting clear of any obstacle? Marksdwarves shoot from the end of the designated area, so large "rooms" are easy to block unintentionally.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:14:51 pm »

What my archery ranges look like:

Those bolts are coming from an archer, who decided to finally go practice... right after we were hit by a goblin ambush. Way to go, guy.

I am still getting the Canceled message from my other marksdwarves, so presumably the problem is not solved.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 02:19:43 pm »

How far do you extend the room overlays?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:30:42 pm »

As long as the range itself + one tile of hallway. I'm... somewhat OCD about symmetry.

There's no horizontal overlap; the walls prevent that. Would tearing those down help at all?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:39:45 pm »

I've used similar range setup without running into any problem, so I don't think removing walls would help. However, I can't see anything wrong, so I can't offer any other suggestions.

Edit: Actually, there is one thing. Normally I use 3 tile wide corridors. So with ranges reaching 1 tile into the corridor, it always leave a 1 free tile between the opposites ranges. You could try to reduce the room size so at least 1 tile of undesignated floor allow access to the range. I highly doubt it's going to help, but it only takes a few seconds to test... and we're talking about DF, so nothing surprise me anymore  :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:52:34 pm by alexwazer »

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:42:31 pm »

Do your rooms fill up the entire space? They need to be at least 3 squares long: 1 for the target, 1 empty space, and 1 for the dwarf. That's where I think this error commonly comes from.

Someone asked that already.

Try re-designating the targets as rooms. If that doesn't work, try deactivating and reactivating your marksdwarves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:44:11 pm by Mechanical Yeti »

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:52:19 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys! I am still getting the message, but they are practicing now. Their names are now the cheerful green of swift death.

I don't know what triggered the change, but I am happy.