Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The best way to make an underground well? (preferably with a waterfall?)  (Read 451 times)

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to redirect a river into my fortress where it would fall down several stories, creating a lovely little waterfall, and then sit in a well. When the well reached a certain level it would flow off the edge of the map, using the exploit where you can carve fortifications on the edge tiles, I think this feature has now been removed (or perhaps I was attempting to carve dirt or something stupid like that?).

So how should I now create a nice waterfall and well? I was thinking of letting in a small amount of water and then just pumping it around over and over again?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:05:57 pm by HexagonalBolts »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

You either need a closed system, or adequate drainage.

The carving fortifications thing should still work. Just make sure you're carving them in stone layers, and not in soil layers.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Easiest (IMO) is to pump from your brook or underground river, up to above your dining hall or statue garden or wherever you want the waterfall. Drop the water back down to the original river level and dig back to the river. Then you've got a closed loop system. You can put the well next to the waterfall and you're set.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

aaah I forgot to smooth the stone first before carving in fortifications

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dicked around a long time with sewage concepts, the fortifications on the edge really were the most convenient thing in the end and I guess it's nice to your CPU, too.

I combined it with wells, irrigation, waste disposal... it's really a lot nicer than a pumpstack to drain the water.

But yeah, nothing more to add to the thread other than: go right ahead!