Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with magma and building towers.  (Read 851 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Problem with magma and building towers.
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:09 pm »

For my magma problem, if I dig out a tunnel for the magma to flow and only use a 1 square channel where I want to put my forge, Will the magma still overflow?

And how exactly do you build a floor on top of a wall so I can make a snipers tower?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Problem with magma and building towers.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:46 pm »

Magma does not exhibit pressure, so even if you tap the bottom of a magma pipe, it won't overflow above the top of the channel you dug. Note that screw pumps can make it behave slightly differently, but it still won't go above the pump's initial level.

Code: [Select]
Side view:
#~#
#~#
#~# #####
#~###   
#~~~~~###
#~#####
###

As for building a floor on the top of a tower, you'll either need a scaffold (a set of stairs outside that you'll tear down afterwards) or just build internal stairs to the roof and put a floor hatch on top when you're done.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:03:58 pm »

When pumping magma, does the screw pump need to be made of any special materials?

Also does it pump at 7/7?  Would you have to tap the magma reservoir directly with the pump to prevent the pump from drying out every two seconds (due to incredibly slow magma flow)?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:46 pm »

Wooden pumps might give you trouble, but any other material will be able to pump magma just fine provided that magma does not enter the accessible portion of the screw pump at any point.

Also does it pump at 7/7?  Would you have to tap the magma reservoir directly with the pump to prevent the pump from drying out every two seconds (due to incredibly slow magma flow)?

I'm afraid I don't understand your first question.

Yes, you would want to pump it from the pipe so that you don't have to deal the slow magma.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »

First question is whether the pump pumps the magma at what level is available or if it waits until it's 7/7?  The water pumps seem to only pump water that's 7/7 (if you watch the aqueducts all the water coming out of the pump is 7/7) but water moves a great deal faster than its magma counter part.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »

I believe pumps will move both water and magma at any depth, even as low as 1/7. Without it, tunnelling through an aquifer would be significantly more difficult.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:55:24 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 02:52:39 pm »

Water and magma at level 1/7 will not be pumped.  Anything 2/7 or higher will be pumped.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:54:59 pm »

Water and magma at level 1/7 will not be pumped.  Anything 2/7 or higher will be pumped.

I guess I stand corrected.