Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Processing for seeds  (Read 3413 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Processing for seeds
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 09:27:56 am »

I'd eliminate left over seeds from brewing and eating, it makes no sense, brewing is SPECIFICALLY the germination and fermentation of seeds which KILLS THEM, and people do not save seeds from every meal.
That's obviously true for wheat-oids but less straightforward for plump helmets or fruit, where the entire harvested plant is edible, not to mention wholly unexplained things like sweet pods.

Having to process plump helmets for seeds would suck, you'd have to destroy a large portion of your crop to get the tiny portion that's seeds.  If they had a handful of spawn each instead of one apiece that would cease to be a problem but would create a lot micromanagement more work for the player.  The current farm seed system is not 100% true to life but at least usable.

A bigger problem with crops as seeds is you'd never be able to have more than 200 cave wheat at a time.  Just keep it around as cave wheat instead of seeds, have milling or brewing produce chaff instead of seeds, and threshing produce seeds and chaff.

But that won't be practical until we have a better way to control threshing and milling.  At present I must grow dyes, sweet pods, and rope reeds in different seasons to get dwarven rum and thread instead of dwarven sugar and river spirits.  The kitchen menu really, really needs MILL and THRESH options alongside BREW and COOK.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:35:26 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:57 pm »

Essentially what I'm asking for is to be able to process foods that are also consumable raw to get the seeds. .... Essentially, if you just wanted to grow plump helmets and ignore the food industry, you could do that
How is processing a plant that you'd otherwise leave on a stockpile ignoring the food industry?
The point is to have either option. Either ignore the cooking industry entirely and just grow Plump Helmets for Dwarven Wine and raw food or process them into Plump Helmet Pulp (or jam, or whatever) and get the seeds out early then cook them. I'm just kind of frustrated with the cooking system right now, it seems like growing nothing but Sweet Pods and Quarry Bushes is 5x more efficient than planting Plump Helmets or Wild Strawberries/Fisher Berries. Not only are they more valuable (which doesn't really matter to me, I just like food surpluses) but they require far less micromanagement and have higher yields.

Of course, the suggestion to remove getting seeds back from eating and simply process for seeds or eat them is not bad either. Of course, you would have to change the way cooking seeds works currently. Otherwise it would still be in your best interest to process all your plants into seeds and cook them later unless you wanted value.

PS: reduce the value of Dwarven Syrup. 4x more valuable than Quarry Bush leaves, but produced in the same quantity.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 06:51:18 pm »

But that won't be practical until we have a better way to control threshing and milling.  At present I must grow dyes, sweet pods, and rope reeds in different seasons to get dwarven rum and thread instead of dwarven sugar and river spirits.  The kitchen menu really, really needs MILL and THRESH options alongside BREW and COOK.

Personally I think the kitchen, still, and millstone/quern should list tasks for individual plants. Instead of "Brew drink" it should be "Brew Dwarven Ale", "Brew River Spirits", "Brew Sunshine". Instead of "Mill" it should be "Mill Dwarven Flower" "Mill Dwarven Sugar" "Mill Emerald Dye". While we're at it, it would be nice to dictate what a workshop/mason shop used as well, instead of using the nearest (by a bad pathing algorithm that is already in the queue for a revamp) stone enabled for use. Being able to dictate Bauxite mechanisms and floodgates for a magma control system instead of having to turn off every other stone or stock them right on top of the workshop is a little frustrating.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »

Brewing specific plants should use the Work Orders system. There needs to be a downside for instantly assigning the task. Brewing menu should have a list for millable plants so the same mechanic can now be used for milling as well

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 10:09:47 am »

Personally I think the kitchen, still, and millstone/quern should list tasks for individual plants. Instead of "Brew drink" it should be "Brew Dwarven Ale", "Brew River Spirits", "Brew Sunshine". Instead of "Mill" it should be "Mill Dwarven Flower" "Mill Dwarven Sugar" "Mill Emerald Dye". While we're at it, it would be nice to dictate what a workshop/mason shop used as well, instead of using the nearest (by a bad pathing algorithm that is already in the queue for a revamp) stone enabled for use. Being able to dictate Bauxite mechanisms and floodgates for a magma control system instead of having to turn off every other stone or stock them right on top of the workshop is a little frustrating.

Wouldn't it be easier to have the stocks screen handle this for you?  Rather than just 'cook' or 'brew', list every ingredient  crossed by every use and check y/n....  Then, set up kitchens etc. to automatically pick up valid jobs.  The kitchen would be ON (creates jobs for itself) or OFF (no jobs)

Basically take a lot of the micro out of the system.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 08:45:03 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to have the stocks screen handle this for you?  Rather than just 'cook' or 'brew', list every ingredient  crossed by every use and check y/n....  Then, set up kitchens etc. to automatically pick up valid jobs.  The kitchen would be ON (creates jobs for itself) or OFF (no jobs)

Basically take a lot of the micro out of the system.

I'd rather have the micro there, personally. Maybe I want to brew some of my Sweet Pods and make Syrup out of the others, I do that often to avoid the "same old booze" unhappy thought. Sometimes I want them to just sit there while I use my barrels for other things, or just to save the labor until winter, which I use as a processing season since nothing grows. If you don't want to think about it, leave standing orders in the manager (as a side note, how about an "always" order in the job manager for those occasions when you just want something dealt with, like auto-processing pig tails) or repeating jobs in the workshops.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »

I'd rather have the micro there, personally.
You still can.  Don't ruin it for those who want to use the system :P
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 02:45:27 pm »

I'd rather have the micro there, personally.
You still can.  Don't ruin it for those who want to use the system :P

How about halfway, the workshop doesn't automatically generate the work orders, but you can leave an "Always" order with the job manager if you want. So if you want your Pig Tails to always be processed whenever they're harvested, you can do that. If you only want 10 processed, you can manually do that.

I like that better anyways, more flexible system.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »

Under my proposal of having a 'Seed collecting' task under Threshing that is the only way to obtain seeds the Task manager would probably use a 'Seed Quota' that the fortress tries to maintain.  If you have less then that Quota the Seed collecting task is automatically performed on the next available crop.  In the case of grain crops (ware the seed is what is eaten and brewed) the Seed Quota blocks any use but planting once supplies drop below the Quota.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 06:58:10 pm »

oooh. I like the seed quota idea. I have way too many seeds, so I just set them to be cooked when I get too many, but this would make it easier.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2]