Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Processing for seeds  (Read 3412 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Processing for seeds
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:13:44 am »

Currently, plants like strawberries or plump helmets are more difficult to farm if you run a cooking industry when compared to plants like quarry bushes and sweet pods. In order to cook sweet pods, you have to process them at either a mill or a workshop. This allows you to quickly regain the seeds for planting. In order to get the seeds for Plump Helmets you have to either brew them or force your dwarves to eat nothing but Plump Helmets. This makes Plump Helmets less useful for large scale farming where one or two full time planters can plant over 200 spawn in a single season. A small fortress of thirty or forty dwarves can't eat the mushrooms faster than they're planted, and while brewcooking can alleviate the problem it will eventually be removed.

I would suggest a new way to process plants that require eating for the seeds. The new process would create plant 'pulp' and remove the seeds. Pulp would be inedible and not brewable, but could be cooked at a kitchen. The pulp would have the same food value as the raw food for trading purpose. Essentially this would make farming a greater variety of plants more viable for a cooking industry.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Processing for seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:20:50 am »

Can you say strawberry jam? I'm OK with this.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:58:39 am »

It almost seems like all these jobs should be toggleable rather than listed (same for butchers shop and leather, etc).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:24:15 pm »

A small fortress of thirty or forty dwarves can't eat the mushrooms faster than they're planted, and while brewcooking can alleviate the problem it will eventually be removed.
Maybe I'm having a critical imagination failure here, but why grow a plant in the first place if its only use to you is to produce seeds which will grow into plants that have no use other than to be processed into the seeds of useless plants?

When barrows arrive you could skill up a planter by giving them busywork until they're good enough to be let at the food crops, but that could be achieved in vanilla by planting thread crops (no container needed for processing) and either passing the processed goods onto the caravans or destroying them entirely.

I'd be happy with an [EDIBLE_WHENPROCESSED] tag though. You might be able to make something called jam at the moment, but it's inedible until cooked.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:55:50 pm »

How the hell do you intend to separate strawberry seeds before eating the damn thing? For that matter, how the hell does milling wheat produce seeds? Curiously, threshing is used for everything but threshing  :P

While more intelligent handling is certainly needed before anything realistic can be cooked up, this idea would just be another placeholder and thus not really worth bothering with

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:25:53 am »

Technically, if you're willing to sacrifice containers to the cause, you can just mod in the pulp/jam/processed plant as an extract, and make sure the plant has the [EXTRACT_COOKABLE] (or whatever it is) tag.

Still, this sounds like one solution. However, as it stands, we'll just have to wait and see what Toady does with farming.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:45:05 am »

My dwarves eat nothing but plump helmets.
They've been doing so for over a decade.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:11:19 am »

My dwarves eat nothing but plump helmets.
They've been doing so for over a decade.
And some people wonder why Toady doesn't want to implemented poop!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:21:55 pm »

For that matter, how the hell does milling wheat produce seeds?
That mystified me too.  Wheat's nothing but seeds.  Are they brewing the straw?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:17 pm »

Hell yes. Straw gives it the distinctive lack of flavour.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:24 am »

A small fortress of thirty or forty dwarves can't eat the mushrooms faster than they're planted, and while brewcooking can alleviate the problem it will eventually be removed.
Maybe I'm having a critical imagination failure here, but why grow a plant in the first place if its only use to you is to produce seeds which will grow into plants that have no use other than to be processed into the seeds of useless plants?

Essentially what I'm asking for is to be able to process foods that are also consumable raw to get the seeds. The paste (or jam, or preserves, or whatever you want to call it) would be cookable, so it would just be adding two extra steps for those of us who are impatient and want the seeds now. Essentially, if you just wanted to grow plump helmets and ignore the food industry, you could do that. If you wanted to run a food industry based on multiple crops, which will hopefully be more in-depth than "grow sweet pods and quarry bushes" once Toady finishes fleshing it out, you could plant plump helmets and process them into cookable paste instead of brewing them (I have enough Dwarven Ale to drown all my nobles and flood the bottom level of my fortress) or forcing your dwarves to eat nothing but raw mushrooms to get the spawn back.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:51 am »

As interesting as that is, the very concept of "mushroom butter" gives me the willies.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 12:52:10 am »

I'd eliminate left over seeds from brewing and eating, it makes no sense, brewing is SPECIFICALLY the germination and fermentation of seeds which KILLS THEM, and people do not save seeds from every meal.

I'd change the system around entirely, a percentage of your crop is processed by the thresher to extract seeds and ONLY seeds, the rest are usable as food and all food usage destroys seeds.  Grain crops of course only produce seeds (and ideally get AUTO-threshed).  None of this ridiculous carrying of seeds all over the fortress.  Naturally their will be a way to ensure that an appropriate share of the crop is used for seeds though it will not need to be much because each crop unit should yield 10 or more seeds rather then just 1 or 2.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:12 am »

Essentially what I'm asking for is to be able to process foods that are also consumable raw to get the seeds. .... Essentially, if you just wanted to grow plump helmets and ignore the food industry, you could do that
How is processing a plant that you'd otherwise leave on a stockpile ignoring the food industry?

If you wanted to run a food industry based on multiple crops, which will hopefully be more in-depth than "grow sweet pods and quarry bushes" once Toady finishes fleshing it out, you could plant plump helmets and process them into cookable paste instead of brewing them
You can do that now.

[EXTRACT:mushroom mush:5:0:0]
[EXTRACTVALUE:20]
[EXTRACT_BARREL]
[EXTRACT_COOKABLE]

Or you could add [EDIBLE_RAW] to sweet pods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 08:37:29 am »

Essentially what I'm asking for is to be able to process foods that are also consumable raw to get the seeds. .... Essentially, if you just wanted to grow plump helmets and ignore the food industry, you could do that
How is processing a plant that you'd otherwise leave on a stockpile ignoring the food industry?

I think he means 'don't wait for some dwarf to eat this before I get my seeds back out', or basically, doing an end-run around the consumption track to get the seeds back.
Pages: [1] 2