Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Totally newbie questions  (Read 1037 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totally newbie questions
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 09:39:33 am »

can you clarify, when you get a chance to view your spreadsheets,
Only in the negative.  If it has happened (I'm sure it has, though with a niggling doubt), it's on a game prior to the 40d or win40d11 ones that I have kept sufficient records about for.

Though I didn't check the standard game log files, which contain seasonal changes, immigration waves (or lack thereof, where there could have been) and trading opportunities received or lost), I just realised, so I might be able to dig it up.

if you are getting an elven caravan before the first dwarven one? i've never got a caravan before that first autumn dwarven one, and then usually elven in the next spring, human in the next summer.
You're making me doubt myself, but I remain more certain of this than I currently am regarding immigration.  For what that's worth.

i'm not sure if caravans have to arrive in set seasons (elven - spring, human - summer, dwarven - autumn) but your response seemed to imply getting an elven caravan before the first dwarven one, and also immigrants....is this the case?
Seasonal adherance: yes; Pre-Dwarven trading (i.e. spring/summer of first year) almost certain; Pre-Dwarven immigrants: unproven, and perhaps it's best you stay sceptical for the time being, and the OP is probably best off forgetting I said anything, to avoid confusion.  (If it happens, it's linked with a lot of craft-dumping, which is a starting direction that's probably not too efficient when learning to survive the first few seasons of the game.)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Totally newbie questions
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 12:39:52 pm »

...your response seemed to imply getting an elven caravan before the first dwarven one, and also immigrants....is this the case?

Never for the former, quite possible (but rare) for the latter.

The first caravan - always - is the 1st Fall.  Dwarves are always in Fall, Elves in Spring, Humans in Summer.  Sometimes they won't show, or will show but not arrive (for a variety of reasons), but if they do that's when they do it.

Immigrants have (rarely) been seen to arrive as early as the 1st Summer, or (less rare) in the same Fall as the 1st caravan, but these are uncommon.  Usually it's a few the 1st Winter (the season immediately after the 1st caravan) and then a larger wave in Spring, and then randomly after that.

(Some players have stated that larger waves seem to come in the Spring - can't speak to that personally.)

Numbers do have a randomizer involved, so that's a factor with all migration.
Pages: 1 [2]