Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration wave size adjustment  (Read 1053 times)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigration wave size adjustment
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:01 am »

One of my favorite features of this game is the ability to tweak and modify it. However, there is one thing that currently cannot be modified: Immigrant wave size.

Myself and many others on these forums have commented that we'd like much smaller waves; in the 2-5 per year range. I get overwhelmed when my humble 7 dwarf clan gets quadrupled in size and only continues to grow faster than I can find suitable jobs. Of course there are workarounds. Many people advocate separating and killing new immigrants by various nefarious means. Not only should this be unnecessary, but it can kill game immersion and verisimilitude. You can also modify the init to a lower population cap (I do this), but this also feels artificial. Once a fortress is started, I shouldn't have to keep tweaking game files to have fun with it. As I understand it, wave size is tied to created wealth, so you could slow down production to influence immigration, but this method is unreliable and constraining.

Smaller immigration waves have many advantages:
1. Greater challenge. You have to take care of your dwarfs and take measures to keep them safe from ambushes and other threats. Currently, if several dwarfs die, it's barely even inconvenient (maybe even preferable) as you'll get 20 more in an hour.

2. Babies and children are more meaningful. They become a viable source of population growth instead of useless mouths to feed.

3. The rewards of a high population are enhanced. It's more challenging and takes longer to grow a population, so getting the king, nobles, and a royal guard would be special and not be guaranteed.

I'm sure there are people who prefer the current large (or larger!) immigration waves. This is understandable, which is why I suggest making this an init adjustment. For players like me, we can have our smaller waves.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration wave size adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:27:38 am »

I agree, smaller waves would be nice, especially in the beginning.  Or even if it could be tied to the current population size, so you could have a population wave bring a maximum of 10% of the population of your fortress, or something like that, in addition to other factors.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:54:13 am »

Heh, i like this idea, but perhaps an Immigration "timer" could be added as well, instead of what you usually get the 3 waves spread out through the year... I'd like to be able to only get 1-8 immigrants every 1-2 years.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:58:24 am »

I agree, smaller waves would be nice, especially in the beginning.  Or even if it could be tied to the current population size, so you could have a population wave bring a maximum of 10% of the population of your fortress, or something like that, in addition to other factors.

A+... my fort just quadrupled it's population in the first spring.  Within 5 minutes of them arriving (AKA some were still stunned at my lack of a meeting room), one went into a mood.

WTF?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:30:49 pm »

We should be able to increase the size of the embarkation party somewhat if you're going to dramatically curb the amount of available immigrants. Fairy tale references aside, having more than 7 guys would help getting started, especially if food ever becomes harder to scrounge up

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:50:49 pm »

We should be able to increase the size of the embarkation party somewhat if you're going to dramatically curb the amount of available immigrants. Fairy tale references aside, having more than 7 guys would help getting started, especially if food ever becomes harder to scrounge up

Agreed. That would be a good compliment to my suggestion.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »

I like this idea, it makes sense, but doesn't deny anyone else their large immigration waves.

One point though... Children and babies are already better for your fortress than immigrants. Even if all your children are forced into base peasantry, their childhood years of sitting around doing nothing but gaining xp means that they are stronger, faster and tougher than your original 7 (at least tougher than they were for a year or two) and better than new immigrants who are weak and flimsy. My children are currently some of the most well statted dwarves in the fortress.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:35 pm »

or toady could incorporate the fortress invading civs+ buffing up gobbos to make realistic war systems. Or you could get to Orc mod, more people die that way.
Hello Hunam

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:45:57 am »

or toady could incorporate the fortress invading civs+ buffing up gobbos to make realistic war systems. Or you could get to Orc mod, more people die that way.

I don't understand your point. Did you mean this to be a reply to my idea?