Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is it normal for a dead guy to keep his stuff?  (Read 1201 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is it normal for a dead guy to keep his stuff?
« on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:09 pm »

i noticed that there was a pile of clothes out side of my main gate. they all belong to edem tunomdeler, miller. looking on the unit list i see that he is deceased. is this normal or did something go wrong?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: is it normal for a dead guy to keep his stuff?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:46 pm »

Does he have a tomb?  I think he'll keep his stuff in that case, and will clutter the floor of the tomb or get placed in containers in there.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:06 pm »

as of right now nobody has a tomb just a big public grave yard. and also the stuff is out side the main gate not in any container

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:36:08 pm »

This happens to me a lot. Sometimes items are marked as belonging to a dwarf who died and I'm not able to dump or move the items. I just hide them and forget about it.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »

ok at least i have plenty of clothes so i dont have to worry about my dwarves going around neked

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:25:50 am »

On that topic, and a bit of a hijack, will dwarves change clothes at all? I had a migrant tailor mood himself to uberness, so I decided to grow a few seasons' worth of pig tails and make everyone some new duds.  I didn't realize that you can't get them to dump what they're wearing, so now I've got a whole stockpile with hundreds of high-value, decorated clothes and my little guys are all running around in tattered rags that they've been wearing since they arrived.  Are clothes just for export?
I brake for stumble bumblings

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:21:40 am »

AFAIK, dwarfs will pick up new clothes, however, how often they do it, I don't know. Occasionally, you will see a civilian dwarf with the "pickup equiptment" job.
Anyway, a protip: if you have a good leatherworker, make leather coats for everybody. They cover the body and arms and have a high armour value, and can be worn by civilians.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:38:11 am »

Dorfs will pick up new clothes eventually. Usually after the economy kicks in.

Particularly socks.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:43:35 am »

weird i cant make coats but then again i cant make tunics shirts or capes either

edit: oops didn't see that any dwarves can't make capes
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:49:18 am by yaklin »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:44 am »

Dwarves will pick up new clothes when their clothes rot even before economy. It seems to be pretty low priority for them though.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:04 am »

as of right now nobody has a tomb just a big public grave yard. and also the stuff is out side the main gate not in any container

This might be the problem. You need to create and build coffins, and designate them for burial. A graveyard stockpile is just temporary storage for corpses, but they should ultimately go into a coffin. This also keeps your dwarves from getting unhappy thoughts about the decay of a friend. I'm not sure if the coffin has to be marked as a tomb in order for the items to be moved there or not.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »

This might be the problem. You need to create and build coffins, and designate them for burial. A graveyard stockpile is just temporary storage for corpses, but they should ultimately go into a coffin. This also keeps your dwarves from getting unhappy thoughts about the decay of a friend. I'm not sure if the coffin has to be marked as a tomb in order for the items to be moved there or not.

by public grave yard i meant i have multiple coffins that are designated for public burial i didn't realize that there was such thing as a graveyard stockpile

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »

weird i cant make coats but then again i cant make tunics shirts or capes either

edit: oops didn't see that any dwarves can't make capes

There seems to be a random factor in determining what types of clothes are available to dwarves. Either that, or it depends on what version you were using when you generated the world.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 06:42:58 pm »

well i've only been playing for a few months so i genned on what ever release they're on now

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 09:44:24 pm »

I have 12 worlds right now, generated under different versions. I should look and see what forts can make what at the clothier.
Pages: [1] 2