Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Starting builds!  (Read 4844 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Starting builds!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 11:35:30 pm »

miner-maxed
miner-maxed
mason
mason
mason
carpenter
stonecrafter/bonecarver - both maxed

logs x300
turtle x80
ale x80
beer x80
wine x80
fish any type x 120
plump spawn and seeds x100

Why on earth would you bring 100 seeds?

Dedo678

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The adept
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 06:39:34 am »

Maybe he wants to mass farm?

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »

miner-maxed
miner-maxed
mason
mason
mason
carpenter
stonecrafter/bonecarver - both maxed

logs x300
turtle x80
ale x80
beer x80
wine x80
fish any type x 120
plump spawn and seeds x100

i farm for only 3 years and whatever food stores i have from farming i survive off of for the next 3 years. i then repeat. it adds some challenge.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »

Woodcutter2/Carpenter5/axedwarf2/wrestler1
Mason5/Stonecrafter5
Mechanic4/Building Designer1/Leadership and clerical skills all 1
Miner3/planter3/Brew4
Miner3/planter4/Butcher 3
Miner3/planter3/Cook4
Armour Smith4/Weapon Smith4/Metalcrafter1/Furnace operator1

the usual list, 60 of all booze, 6 of all 2$ meat and about 70 in turtles. also cave lobster if available. Usuaully get a lot of bauxite too if theres magma on the map. 15 of each seed, about 6 dogs, I have my metalsmith train them, then small necessities. Like an axe, 4 copper picks, etc. If your in the know this is the newbie starter. One I had planned on changing but now cant. I cant play DF so its a little outdated.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 02:18:25 pm »

Start
7 Peasents
Abandon
Re-start and reclaim
About 75 dwarves

seriously just reclaim.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 03:00:15 pm »

You might be interested in my usual starting build, reposted here from some long forgotten thread...

I played most of my games bringing no picks or axes. For axes, 300 points for a steel one is pretty steel. At the early stage of the game the mere existance of an axe is important, not the material it's made of. Tetrahedrite + two fuel = 15 points. That's a five point savings over a copper pick. And a 285 point savings over a steel axe.

And yes, that seems undeniably dwarfy. If you scrimp points here and there you can have enough to bring enough tetrahedrite for two full suits of copper chainmail, which will almost certainly net you at least two silver bars for weapons. After you are done crafting you can start two soldiers sparring in the fall of your first season. Copper is garbage, but it's better than nothing.

My previous embark I played seven hermits. It made me realize how much I hate migrants. To change that I gave myself this restriction: Embark with mechanic5, mason5, armorer5, weaponsmith5, carpenter5, stone/wood/metal/bonecrafter2, appraiser/judge/negotiator3 and give each dwarf wrestler1 in case I've got fighting to do early. Now I really look forward to migrant waves. Ooh, a Planter2!

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 03:45:33 pm »

The sorts of starting builds I tend to go with are... strange, I guess. I try to get a hell of a lot of mining and fortress layout done in the first year or so, so my starting strategy leaves me with a rapidly-dug fortress, some highly skilled dwarves... and no way to actually make my own food or metal items for quite some time.

I bring:

A Novice Appraiser/Novice Judge of Intent/Competent Stone Crafter/Proficient Brewer: This dwarf is the first mayor and the fort's broker. Early on, he makes stone crafts; later, he makes booze. I know it's a bit of a waste to spend points on stone crafter skill, but higher-quality early crafts ensure I can afford to trade for an anvil from the first autumn caravan, even if they only bring steel ones.

A Proficient Siege Engineer/Proficient Bowyer: This dwarf gets to excel in all technical tasks around the fortress. He'll do carpentry jobs, masonry and mechanics and building design, and all that fun stuff. He is the dwarven Da Vinci, and if he dies, I am very sad about it.

Three Proficient Building Designers/Proficient Mechanics: These dwarves are really miners; they just don't know it yet. I also make them engravers and masons. They don't get their own workshops (though they may mass-produce stone blocks for a while to clear away my loose stone), but their skill sets make them my go-to builders. They construct the fortress, whether I am building walls or traps or digging or whatever.

A Proficient Armorsmith/Skilled Metalsmith/Novice Weaponsmith: Before I buy an anvil and get forges set up, he is a hauler. After, he makes me shiny things out of iron. Mainly, I'm hoping to get a fey mood with him and end up with a Legendary Armorsmith.

A Novice Weaponsmith/Novice Axedwarf/Competent Shield User/Proficient Armor User: This dwarf chops trees for about a year or so, then gets drafted and keeps his axe. If he gets a fey mood, he'll make axes for everybody.

Things that have to wait until immigrants arrive include (but are not limited to) food production and soldiering. In the meantime, food I embark with and get from traders will have to tide me over.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2009, 04:28:16 pm »

Interesting build

I might have to take that, actually. I've been considering changing my set up, and that one looks rather suited to my play style. What do you take for items?

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »

Personally:

Miner/mason/mechanic
Miner/mason/forging st00f
Woodcutter/carpenter
Jeweler/Stonecrafter/Architect
Miner/Trader/Record Keeper/architect
Hunter/Marksdwarf
Farmer/brewer

As for items;
Anvil, 1 axe, 3 picks, some cassisterite (sp?) (i always get copper and very very rarely cassisterite) ~30 Plump seeds, ~30 of each alcohol, ~20 of wine. 2 dogs, 1 cat. Rest on turtles. You can never have enough turtles.

If you're playing in a region w/o trees, scrap the axe and woodcutter, turn him into another miner or farmer, and use the points for logs.

Always works for me, but i very rarely don't play on a map with a magma pipe.

Who doesn't love magma?
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2009, 05:26:50 pm »

Me
*loads m4*

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »

Break down wagon.
Use copper ore to make wood burner.
Make 2 charcoal, 1 ashes.
Make smelter from ashes.
Smelt copper bars.
Break down wood burner, make forge.
Forge copper axe.
Cut down 2 more trees and use them to make pick.

Win
I fear it is more like fail in the example given. Why?
Ashes are considered a valid material for building fire-safe workshops. Don't think about it too much.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2009, 11:07:09 pm »

Break down wagon.
Use copper ore to make wood burner.
Make 2 charcoal, 1 ashes.
Make smelter from ashes.
Smelt copper bars.
Break down wood burner, make forge.
Forge copper axe.
Cut down 2 more trees and use them to make pick.

Win
I fear it is more like fail in the example given. Why?
Ashes are considered a valid material for building fire-safe workshops. Don't think about it too much.
Well they can't very well burn again;D

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 07:04:37 pm »

OK GUYS USE THIS INSTEAD OF  THAT OTHER THREAD!!
SAY JAWOHL IF THATS CLEAR!!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 07:46:59 pm »

I sometimes go with no skills whatsoever, 1 axe, 2 picks, and loads of food 'n' booze.

Actually it's easy as they get skills pretty fast
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:58 pm »

I sometimes go with no skills whatsoever, 1 axe, 2 picks, and loads of food 'n' booze.

Actually it's easy as they get skills pretty fast

I've been doing something like this since I've started playing the dark dwarf mod. That world is brutal, so I load up a few with military skills but everyone else is unskilled labor and I just designate a specialty.

I've learned you don't have to waste points on negotiation and such at all for your trader, as the first time he goes to the depot and trades he will become skilled in trading.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5