Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upright Spike Trap  (Read 650 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Upright Spike Trap
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:12:03 pm »

So, my current fortress is (supposed to be) a deathtrap. Its only purpose is slaughtering thousands of goblins in different and amusing ways. One of the ways, my were-to-be greatest design, is a field packfull of upright spike traps. About 120 of them. I spent hours upon hours linking them to 6 pressure plates, configured to be triggered by creature, with minimal size 2.

Eager to test them out, I trapped a few elven merchants in the field, and chained 2 animals in the restrains I'd prepared beforehand, with walls limiting their movement to the 6 pressure plates.

And here's the kicker. Nothing happens. At all. Did I do something wrong? I read about spike traps on the wiki, and it's supposed to work brilliantly, only... it doesn't.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upright Spike Trap
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:18:37 pm »

It will only work on hostiles.

Also a bug where once friendlies have seen a trap, they will not trigger even if turned hostile I think.

Try in on the goblins or a deer or something.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:21:59 pm »

Spike traps, when triggered, will impale anything on that square - whether friendly or hostile.  It sounds like the spikes aren't getting triggered at all, which would suggest that the pressure plates aren't working.  I don't have much experience with creature-triggered pressure plates, so I don't know what the problem might be for sure, but I suspect that either the pressure plates aren't properly set to be triggered by the animals he's got loose on them, or the on/off signals sent by the plates are too brief to trigger the spikes to raise.  I think that if you send a spike a raise signal, then a lower signal before the spike has raised, it will never raise.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »

So basically, next time forget trying to be smart, and just have them linked all to a lever set on repeat? Makes sense... now  :-[

Ah, screw this all, I hated this fortress since the start anyway. Too many things went wrong. It was supposed to be an aboveground tower, but it turns out aboveground towers aren't that much fun at all, it somehow feels wrong, it looks like an industrial apartment building, I had a goblin siege while upgrading my defenses which took 10 dwarves out, a massive tantrum spiral followed...

I guess what I'm trying to say is - this fortress shall be collapsed into oblivion. Thanks for the swift answers, guys :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:33:02 pm »

If it's an aboveground tower you best be collapsing it before you abandon it! I wanna watch.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:44:09 pm »

Yeah, I'm collapsing it. Is there any way to record a movie without using fraps? I've seen several in-game DF movies, but I don't know how it's done.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »

I believe the hotkey is " ; ."  Says so right there on the menu sidebar.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too