Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone mentioned trash bins before?  (Read 809 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone mentioned trash bins before?
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:36 am »

I did search the forums for "Trash Bin" before i posted this, so i'm pretty sure no one has posted this yet. Also looked for "Trash Can". Both with quotes.

Trash Cans, could simply be bins that you place around your fort. I assume that there would be only a few select objects a Trash Bin would be used for however. The Trash Bin should be placed like a statue. It also should give some kind of boost to the value of the room its in, depending on the quality of the bin.

A few Trash Bins could be placed near a Dinning room, one could be just for seeds and the other could be for refuse. Once the seed bin gets filled, a hauler comes and takes the seed bin to the Seed stockpiles, and drops off the seeds where they are suppose to be. Then after which he returns with the trash bin. While the trash bin is gone dwarfs could still just drop there seeds off where the trash bin was, if at that time it is being emptied by a dwarf, then once the dwarf gets back and places the trash bin back, any seeds or refuse near it would then be automatically put into the bag.

If dwarfs cannot find a trash bin close enough to them, then they should do what they would normally do with refuse and such.

Trash Bins could also be useful for a few other things also.

Trash bins could become Clothing Hampers. If a dwarf has owned clothing, a Trash Bin can be set to a Clothing Hamper and could be a drop off point for dwarfs with dirty clothing that needs to be cleaned. Nobles or other more important people, or even all your dwarfs, could have a Clothing Hamper placed inside there room. They could then stick there dirty clothing in there which needs to be cleaned, depending on how many sets of clothing that particular dwarf has depends on when that dwarf or a servant would take it to a dirty clothing drop off point.

The whole bin itself could be taken directly to a dirty clothing stockpile, once someone cleans clothing they could clean a whole bin at a time, then the clothing are placed back into the bin, and then moved to a stockpile for clean clothing, which would then be transported back to its owner.

Once clothing becomes too raggy / damaged to be used anymore, it could also be tossed away into a trash bin.

Trash Bins for this, could be placed near a barracks, once people start loosing there clothing near the barracks, they could then just stick the dirty damaged clothing in a trash bin near them.

I assume a trash bin could be used for other things as well. Such as storing fish which you would have to take long distances. Make it so you could place a few trash bins near where your dwarfs are fishing. As they fish they fill up whatever empty bins are near them, once a fisher dwarf fills a bin up, he can then haul it to the nearest fish stockpile, then return with the bin.

Okay thats all i can think of for now.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone mentioned trash bins before?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:40:17 am »

I feel strange for saying this (I tend to go on and on at tangents, far much more than you do) but I liked the idea about the basic trash can[1], although I would imagine it would be far more balanced if (when away being emptied) it was a free-for-all litter-fest that did not get automatically dumped into the bin when it returned, but needed a refuge hauling and/or cleaning task for each and every item.

The more stuff it gets used for, though, the less like a trash can it is, and more like a standard stockpile bin/barrel/whatever.  I've never had the problem of too many fish (well, except live carp, which is a different issue!), but I'd probably deal with that with standard food stockpiles if it ever became a worry.

Though inbetween the two, I really do need to work out how to handle clothing better.  Every now and then I check my Stock list to see if there's any newly damaged clothing.  But I'm convinced that I'm not doing it right.

[1] Or rubbish bin, on this side of the Pond where we might also have aluminium armour insted of aluminum armor ;)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:49:55 pm »

I think that all of that can be done with stockpiles. To make it more practical, there could be an option for stockpiles to "mix item types in containers" and "take away full containers". That's useful for finished product-stockpiles near workshops too.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:55:37 pm »

We would also need to add an option to the orders menu "dwarvs haul own trash" to get them to clean up their seeds/bones/useless cloths. But other than that i like the idea of making the stockpile option more robust. Just the idea of having bins on a refuse stockpile sounds good.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:58:32 pm »

The ability to have stockpiles that haulers will not put things into is 90% of it (so the dwarf will put it into the trash, but the trash (sic) hauler won't think it's in the right pile.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:35 am »

Lol, dwarves have no notion of clutter.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:12:56 am »

We would also need to add an option to the orders menu "dwarvs haul own trash" to get them to clean up their seeds/bones/useless cloths.
I sort of see another set of "is" characterists:
  • X is fastidiously tidy and absolutely detests the sight of refuse left lying around
  • X will ensure Y living area is tidy, and avoids littering when possible
  • X prefers a clean environment
  • <blank>
  • X likes the "lived in" look
  • X has a problem with those overly obsessed with cleanliness, and their habits
  • X will never tidy up after Yself, and doesn't care what kind of manky squaller X lives in

(X = he/she, Y = his/her.  Respectively aligned, obviously)

(Or split the "whether they are tidy" and "whether they like to see mess", because there are already pairs of characteristics that can be amusingly opposing.)

The above could also be used as modifier to whether/how efficiently/to what resulting mood change the Cleaning task is carried out (like the one that appears to effect the rescue/give water/give food tasks).

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:02 pm »

I could see this. It wouldn't be high on my list of things I'd like to see added, but it's there.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325