Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Star Trek Fortress?  (Read 1673 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Star Trek Fortress?
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:20:18 am »

I started toying with the idea of setting up all my doors with a pressure plate on each side...  which led me to the concept of building a fortress modelled after the U.S.S Enterprise.  Sort of like a certain persons Zeppelin megaproject.   ;D   

I'd have to play as a human, but could mod the dwarves as Klingons & the elves as Vulcans.  (They seem to fit the parts.)  Kobolds would be perfect for Ferengi.  I'm undecided how the Goblins would best fit in...  [ponders]

Anyways, I'm thinking of adding in the Dark Elves mod to make Romulans...  does anybody have any other suggestions of existing mods that could/should be added for other races?

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

dorfstep

• Bay Watcher
  • Dubstepper For Life
    • View Profile
    • My Tripstep/Freak Folk Music
Re: Star Trek Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:43:09 am »

Goblins should be Feranghi

Kobolds should be the Borg.

Or maybe the other way around.
My Freak Folk/Tripstep Projects

“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
~Ram Dass

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:10:19 am »

Rename cats to tribbles.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:58 am »

Rename recruits to Redshirts.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:55:59 am »

Rename recruits to Redshirts.

I'm going to do that, even without making a real Star Trek mod.

I might also color the recruit/wrestler armor (Mayday mod) to be red, too... :P

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:05:26 am »

actually, doens't the pathing system have issues with pathing thorugh doors that are operated by pressure plates?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:59:53 am »

actually, doens't the pathing system have issues with pathing thorugh doors that are operated by pressure plates?
yes, why have pressure plates if the doors disappear whenever a dwarf comes through

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:39:09 am »

yeah I don't think dwarves will path through the doors.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:46:35 am »

Unfortunately, they all speak the truth.

your idea, while wildly unnecessary, complicated and tedious (and thus perfect in every conceivable way)

Your dwarves won't path through the doors if they can't open them manually (without a lever/trigger that is)

Maybe once toady works out a bit more of the pathing mechanics.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:39:38 am »

Unfortunately, they all speak the truth.

your idea, while wildly unnecessary, complicated and tedious (and thus perfect in every conceivable way)

Your dwarves won't path through the doors if they can't open them manually (without a lever/trigger that is)

Maybe once toady works out a bit more of the pathing mechanics.
It really needs to wait for a "path learning" dwarf object that.

And then we'll have fun trying waiting for dwarfs to explore the accessible map (especially fun when it's dynamic) before they'll start hauling back rocks dug out from the furthest recesses of the mines by other dwarfs.  And the possibility of "hey, Urist, you know if you wander down there, there's a whole lot of tunnels with rocks in" 'communication'.  (Moderated by relationship data, of course.  "Hey, my good friend!  I see you're into leatherwork, this season.  Well... I was passing by a stockpile on the other side of that bridge, and guess what I found!  A whole pile of good quality leather you can use!", or "um, yeah...  sorry, forgot your name, but I'm a passing acquaintance of your wife.  I've heard you've started a little 'project' in that Crafts Workshop.  Yeah, yeah, all hush hush, I understand.  Look, word on the street is you're looking for uncut gems.  I don't actually know where there are any, lying around, but I've heard rumours of something interesting through that door over there.  I'm a bit busy hauling wood to go and look myself, but it's probably worth a try.  I'll let your wife know if I pass any on my travels, if we're having lunch at the same time tomorrow.  And if you find any closer stocks of cut wood, I'm hoping you'll help me out.  That darned woodcutter went over the hill to cut down trees instead of taking the ones growing just on the other side of the brook.  Anyway, just let your missus know...  Cheers, I'll appreciate it." )

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »

Given how they are often invisible until they attack and not having pink-skin Cardassians seem a good candidate for Goblins.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14:41 pm »

Sort of like a certain persons Zeppelin megaproject.   ;D
I wouldn't exactly qualify it as a zepplin, considering it lacks a balloon atop it. (I already provided my reason in-thread as to why)

BTW, if I were to build a zepplin, I would construct it out of lead.

To whoever manages to succeed in building that, rock on. \m/ 8) \m/

Sounds interesting anyhow. Just be sure the captain doesn't go all Zapp Brannigan and send wave after wave after wave of troops up against killbots.

As for Tribbles, make them give birth to 10 apiece and mature quickly to reproduce even more within the same season. Food should not be a problem.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:52:11 am »

Buggrit!  It just won't be the same if it doesn't have doors that go SHHHH!   >:(

Ah well, that's one idea shot down in flames.  But I think the project is still on.  Cats = Tribbles?  Perfect. 
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)