Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Rapture?  (Read 13678 times)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Rapture?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2009, 03:54:51 am »

''Let's also find a van or two with off-road tires, as your car is a bit small for all the supplies we'll gather along.''

After that, I hit the nearby hunting shop for some spare parts and a scope plus .22 bullets. I also took some hunting knives two tents, and a pair of water resistant high boots.

Once I got back to the rendezvous point, I dropped the tents on the pile of things we'll need and divided the knives to the group.

''Here guys, this will be helpful I hope, if we'll ever hit the wilderness. Besides, I think it'll be good to steer off of Fargo as soon as possible. It'll be a hellhole in two or three days, all the dead people, decaying and shit...
Oh Strife, we could take the cats with us. It shouldn't be too big of a problem to take care of them, I mean, they're small, they don't eat too much. If we take the van, they would have a comfy enough home for a while, until we find something more permanent and protected.''

(( How's that inventory list coming up? And, I second Aqizzar's idea. ))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:14:32 am by BigFatDwarf »
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2009, 04:03:51 am »

((I found it. H&K Mark 23: .45 cal, 12 round magazine. That's what I have))
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2009, 04:11:57 am »

((We'll assume that the stuff that Dwarf found didn't happen until we get to Scheels. Right now, I'm driving a Ford F-150 Supercab with the 5.4L Triton engine, and Aqizzar has a jeep of indefinite model. Neither is an especially small vehicle. It isn't fast work sorting through the PMs, but I've got three done so far.))

"I'm still not sold on the leaving Fargo thing yet. Get out of the city, sure, but I don't see the need to go too far away. In any case, shall we go have a look  at the directory?"

Stores in Mall:
http://www.westacres.com/Store_listing_Categorical.pdf

((For salvage runs while I'm GMing, feel free to give a description of what for and where you're looking. Note that Best Buy and a few other places aren't actually in the mall. Also note that it's a damn big mall, all things considered.

Take care of yourselves for a few minutes, I'm going to try to power through the list.))

((EDIT: Also, you may want to go in groups. Strife will at least, recommend that there is at least one firearm with everyone at all times. Paranoia saves lives, no?))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:16:09 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2009, 04:17:48 am »

((Whose PMs have you done?))
"We should get as many first aid and medical supplies as we can get. We don't know what injuries we will get."
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2009, 04:23:26 am »

''Yeah, I'll look for a van with off-road tires in the meanwhile, so we'll be able to haul all the food and all.''

(( And now you say if I found it, right? ))
(( By the way, it would be good to get something so we can all edit the list once public, since we'll all be DMing it. ))
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2009, 04:27:04 am »

(( Ok, I got 2 list ideas: ))
(( - We all spam it here every couple of posts )) (<- if this is done please spoiler the list so it doesn't take all the space.)
(( - We make it in .txt and upload it every couple of turns somewhere. ))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:31:26 am by BigFatDwarf »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2009, 04:35:18 am »

((Note, I'm writing this as if discussion just started.  Sort of.  Not being in person makes conversation clunky.))

Aqizzar props his feet up on the food court table, clad in engineer boots with the tags still attached, and spiels out his pontifications between bites off a giant pepperoni log.

"Okay, let's start with what we know for sure.  One, a whole bunch of people just died.  So Strife thinks it sounds like the Rapture.  Assuming that's correct, it means the only people left on Earth are the people who deserved going to Heaven.  And judging by the number of bodies laying around, the application process wasn't too strict"  Aqizzar gives a knowing look around the table.  "Bear that in mind for argument's sake."

"Now, I ain't read a word of Revelations, but I've read enough articles to know the Rapture doesn't even fit into Christian mythology, let alone rationality.  Of course, neither does ninety nine percent of humanity up and croaking in one moment, but I'm sure there's a perfectly sensible explanation.  Absolutely sure."

"Second, whatever the cause, the fact remains, there's a lot of dead bodies laying around.  In about three days, the air's gonna be thick with vermin and scavengers, and like Dwarf said, appropriately enough, it's going to stink to high Heaven anywhere near population centers."

"Third, all those dead people are eating up our planet as we speak.  Utilities could break down in a matter of days.  Fires already started and those that are gonna start with no one to watch will burn out of control.  Crops and livestock are going to whither in the fields and waste.  There's a lot of cars out there that were running when their drivers keeled over, and now just idling their gas away.  So we're looking at clouds of carbon monoxide for a few days, on top of all that useful gas lost.  And God knows what other stuff will die along with it's tenders."

"But fourthly, in the near term there's no shortage at all."  Aqizzar waves out his arms at the food court.  "There's all the crap we could ever eat just laying around.  More than we can eat in fact, at least until it all spoils in a couple weeks with no powered refrigeration.  After that, it's cans and Ramen for a year or so.  We don't have to turn Amish yet, but let's try to be realistic about our food supply.  Likewise, we have an endless pick of cars and clothes and machines and tools and everything else we could ever ask for, just laying around waiting to be grabbed up."

"Which brings us to Strife's very prescient point."  At this, Aqizzar leans in close.  "Yes, paranoia does save lives.  And you know what?  Everyone else that's still alive is thinking the exact same thing.  Over the next couple days, everyone who's still alive anywhere who can also get along with people will have banded together with the people they can.  After that, it's Go Time.  For what it matters, we have to view everyone in the world as a hostile raider, because that's exactly how everyone in the world is going to view us."  Aqizzar pauses and chuckles for a moment.  "Figures.  Right when humanity is supposed to band together is when we're going to be at our most defensive.  Ah, but ain't that what makes us human.  What a brave new world..."

"Well, whatever.  For the time being, we should just horde all the useful or edible stuff we can and try to make friends with anyone we can make friends with.  I've been ragging on it because I didn't want to be here in the first place, but Fargo's as good as anywhere.  We couldn't eat all the food here before it spoils in a month on it's own.  So I guess we could just stay.  After that, we should try to find somewhere with a chance of renewable food and water."  Aqizzar leans back to think.  "Maybe Chicago?  Good scavenging, lots of territory, and all the potable water in the world."

"Oh, and when we leave, I'm not fucking around with any wimpy van.  We have all the cars we could ever want to choose from.  I'll try to find a big work truck or something."  Aqizzar grins darkly.  "And an arc welder..."

Aqizzar has a jeep of indefinite model.

(( For the record, this is my Jeep.  Except mine has bigger tires, and is a greasy dilapidated pile of horseshit.  I'll gladly abandon it anyway, with a small ceremony to bid it farewell. ))
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2009, 04:55:08 am »

((
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2009, 04:59:27 am »

''Yes, but the bigger it is, more gas it hogs and slow it is,'' I say, considering Aqizzar's words.

''But partly I agree, van is really weak against anything because of the standardized thin sides, so I'll instead check for those Cash transporter trucks. They are heavily armored, have strong engines and there's always at least one around big malls.''

Saying this, I depart to the delivery garages and seek for such vehicle.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2009, 05:07:46 am »

"Okay, I guess that our first issue is this. How do we react to any other survivors that may or may not be around?"

"I'd say that we should try to be as togethery as possible. However, there will probably be violent raiders and the like. I think that we should try to leave note for people to contact us, but not give away our position. My cell phone, the Bay 12 forum address, and a radio channel should be sufficient."

"If we encounter hostiles, I'm not going to stand and let our stuff get stolen. We'll probably have to kill them. As far as weaponry goes, we have one obsolete battle rifle. Capable of killing reliably at range. One heavy hunting rifle. Overkill on a person. Two shotguns, okay close up if we use buck. One heavy pistol. One light .22, not much good against people. I'd say that guns should be on our list of stuff to find."

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2009, 05:09:38 am »

((
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))

((I can't think of anything else, but that doesn't mean that there isn't more))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 05:11:53 am by Archangel »
My full sig

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2009, 05:18:52 am »

((Duffle bag with 4 cans of soda, toothbrush, clothes, and several DnD rulebooks; A cheap wooden axe and shield; and a old cellphone; and a book with some wiccan rituals)) 
Jack smiles in joy, taking the opportunity to take a few swings of his axe at a car. He jumps after the first strike set off the car alarm. Instincts kick in and he hurriedly scans the area again. He then remembers that everyone was dead. Jack takes a second to think and he bashes the window of the car and begins to search the interior.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 05:24:16 am by Jack_Bread »

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2009, 05:23:08 am »

''Well, here's my idea, if we see a survivor, we point a gun in him and ask him what the hell he wants.''

(( Strife, you forgot to mention the scope I found and the hunting knives I divided. ))
(( Also you still, as the DM, need to decide if I got the Securivan I searched for.  ))

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:17 am »

"As far as I see it, we have a couple of major categories of supplies that we'll need. As I think of them:"

"1) Defense. Guns to shoot people with. Preferably military grade or hunting rifles, I'd think. Handguns for close quarters. We'll need lots of ammo as well. I'd rather have as few types laying around as possible, so I guess that we should all carry .45's. Common caliber ammunition might also become the main currency, I remember reading somewhere."

"2) Water. We'll need water and some means of purifying it. I've got 4 five gallon jugs at home at least. An electric kettle too."

"3) Food. Stuff that's non-perishable and light would be best, but there isn't much of that around. We should eat perishable stuff while we can."

"4) Fuel. The electricity won't last forever. I'm thinking propane in the short term. Steal a small propane grill and a couple of dozen tanks, and we should be set for a while. In the long term, we'll need wood most likely.  I've got a wood splitter and two chainsaws for what it counts. I'm not sure if the saws work though. We've got a cheap generator. We might want to get a better one. We'll need to grab lots of gas as well. Doesn't fuel go bad after a while though? I don't remember."

"5) Long term food. I don't think anyone here is a farmer. We'll need seeds and a plow. Stealing a tractor would be nice. Hunting is an option as well. We could hit deer and turkey from my house at the least."

"6) Information. As many survival guides as we can find. B Dalton's in the mall doesn't have a lot of stuff, but we can check. Barnes and Nobles is only about two blocks away, and they have lots of useful stuff. Wikihow might also be useful, if we get a printer, we could print off useful stuff while we still have electricity."

"7) Entertainment. There's a card store here. Grabbing all of the magic cards might go a long way to keeping us sane. I've got a well stocked library for sci-fi and other fantasies at home."

"8) Shelter. Clothes, tents, sleeping bags, blankets. Stuff we can get at Scheels. "

"9) Tools. My personal power tool set isn't the best right now. We could get a lot of good stuff at Fleet Farm, I believe. We'll need a mix of power and hand."

"10) Transportation. What do we need for vehicles? I'd suggest three or four big pick ups personally."

"I think that I'm done now."

Dwarf and Jack return to the adult's discussion after doing little more than wander about the parking lot and smash up a car.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2009, 05:44:08 am »

(( in my real bag I've got a black polyester beanie, a yellow woolen balaclava, a pair of black polyester gloves, a pair of grey woolen fingerless gloves and a cloth sun hat

EDIT: And a 2GB USB memory stick))

"Who will go to get what? For example, I don't know much about guns, so it's probably not a good idea to send me to get them."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 05:49:58 am by Archangel »
My full sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13