Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OMG immigrant swarm  (Read 1263 times)

purplefuzzythings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OMG immigrant swarm
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:36:28 pm »

When I made my first fortress I had 17k wealth when immigrants came, and I recieved 19 total new guys. What's your average wealth your first year? What's the formula for immigrants recieved?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OMG immigrant swarm
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:39:12 pm »

You want the wiki article on Immigrants.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:41:30 pm »

17k created wealth and 19 immigrants is a bit extreme.  That's a moderately big wave with almost squat for cw.

I had almost 300k and got 20+.

The formula is unknown, but involves some random factors.  It's possible(?) that you hit an extreme on the randomizer.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »

I've never paid much attention to my CW when it comes to imigrant waves, but I do frequently get ~20 dwarves my first wave. This current fort has been a bit odd about sending immigrants I got my first batch of 4 the very first summer before the dwarven caravan came, and then 4-8 every season until the next summer when I got about 15.  Its been a very strange fort so far...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:26:18 pm »

I like to modify my init pop cap to tone down immigration. Unfortunately they still come in huge waves, but at least the waves stop once the cap is reached.

got_milk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:44 pm »

Is there a way to manipulate the average immigrant-wave size ? Would be awesome to cap it at 2-4, so u don't get totally swamped when the first wave hits u at 15 immigrants.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:53:51 pm »

Read up on it - these questions are easily answered.  Really.

Migration is based on Created Wealth.  So, don't make much stuff, and you won't get many migrants.

got_milk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07:49 pm »

Read up on it - these questions are easily answered.  Really.

Migration is based on Created Wealth.  So, don't make much stuff, and you won't get many migrants.

well its pretty hard to diminish fortress-wealth without crippling your gameplay. I just want to play my game without worrying about my population beeing trippled all of a sudden :(

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:30:19 pm »

Kill the immigrants.

Lock them in small 1 x 1 rooms until they starve.

That will a.) lower the # of immigrants currently

b.) keep others away.

Siege equipment is also fun for this purpose when you draft immigrants and station them directly in front of the firing line.

Sweet, sweet murder, is there any problem you can't solve, other than hiding bodies?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

got_milk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:28 pm »

Kill the immigrants.

Lock them in small 1 x 1 rooms until they starve.

That will a.) lower the # of immigrants currently

b.) keep others away.

Siege equipment is also fun for this purpose when you draft immigrants and station them directly in front of the firing line.

Sweet, sweet murder, is there any problem you can't solve, other than hiding bodies?

that sounds like a better solution. With 'locking them into a 1x1 room' u mean a bedroom assigned to them and then just lock the door when they first sleep ?

Whats the smartest way to get rid of the bodies ? Outside graveyard-stockpile ?

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:48:41 pm »

Sweet, sweet murder, is there any problem you can't solve

The mantra of Dwarf Fortress players everywhere.
And of course the solution to uppity nobles.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:10:38 pm »

What's absolutely priceless is that I said, "other than hiding bodies?" Then he asked about body disposal....

;D It just fit so well. I'm nearly proud of you if I were capable of that emotion.

Yes I mean 1x1 bedrooms. They don't have to be bedrooms, but bedrooms seem to be the easiest way to bait invite them to their death slumber. Lock the door once they are inside, however you get them there. Starvation does the rest. You may then laugh at them as they beg for food/water.

I like to set up corrals for livestock and later use ropes to tie up cows. I just switch out beds and ropes as needed This same space is an effective dying chamber, because they're all livestock until I say otherwise.

Outside graveyards are just fine for unwanted immigrant livestock "guests". Set a bone stockpile over it and order your bonecrafter's interior bone stockpile to take from it. That way you might be able to use their bones for something once their flesh rots off.

Be sure not to let them make any friends. Kill them quickly before they socialize. Tantrum spirals suck.

Remember, they're victims. We don't want any sympathy for them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:21:17 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:57:20 pm »

I like to make a "Hall of Failure" in my fortresses, where I put people who are useless or die a meaningless and stupid/silly death. Generally with immigrants with no useful skills I will set them as a miner, have them dig a 2x1 alcove in the hall of failure, then turn mining off and turn on masonry and arrange it so that they wall themselves into the alcove.

When they eventually starve to death, I open the chamber and loot the body of clothing to sell and then have someone put in one of the cheap coffins which my apprentice masons churn out by the dozen. They get interred, the wall gets rebuilt, and everyone moves on.

Doing it this way, you get their clothing to sell/trade and they never develop any relationships with your dwarves so noone is upset.

Once I did the same to a family who's father had disappointed me by placing a ban on the export of gold items while simultaneously demanding that I build 3 glass items on a map with no sand. He, his consort, and thier son all died slowly in a 3x3 failchamber.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:17:51 pm »

That is a most excellent idea, forsaken.

Off-topic-ish: my biggest wave ever was 63 dwarves after I divided up every Z-level into 2x2 columns, found adamantium, and built a solid galena palace for my 7 dwarves.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »

Off-topic-ish: my biggest wave ever was 63 dwarves after I divided up every Z-level into 2x2 columns, found adamantium, and built a solid galena palace for my 7 dwarves.

*twitch* That must have taken quite some work.
Pages: [1] 2