Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elite Bowgoblins!  (Read 1512 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Elite Bowgoblins!
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:02:45 pm »

Sweet crap I had never faced these guys before. The first clue should have been when he killed the marksdwarf in the first watch-tower. Until that moment I had never lost a dwarf behind a fortification so I figured it was just dumb luck. As the rather large siege group approached the gate I pulled my melee troops way back. He and his six bowgoblins unleashed a hail of arrows at my gate tower guards. Two z-levels up and a good 10 squares away they managed to pincushion four of the eight dwarves stationed up there! I finally sent in the footsoldiers and they killed an axelord with an arrow to the forehead before the hammerdwarves broke up the party. While sifting through the bodies, we only got four of the bowgoblins. And no sign was found of the elite bowgoblin. We of course made a mess of the lashers, wrestlers and speargoblins.

It's a good thing I only draft dwarves with no friends into the marksdwarf service. A dark day for Tradesnarls.

Are these guys really that nasty or was I particularly unlucky? The first tower guard might have been two zlevels up but adjacent to the elite that killed him. Any advice?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Elite Bowgoblins!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »

The level of marksmanship makes a chance they might shoot through fortifications, also do what some players suggest,magma, I hate that option, and I only play as humans... Anyway send some Elite Marksdwarves or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My solution:Send in the soldier who has tons of wardogs and pet unicorns

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:43 pm »

Best ways to deal with enemy archers are

1. Magma or water trap
2. Long hallway with siege engines
3. Your own archers, but with pets / war dogs / babies to absorb stray arrows
4. An entrance with lots of twists and turns so they can't attack from too far away, and your Dwarves can rush them
5. Dumb luck.  I once had a single hammerdwarf somehow dodge 30 - 40 arrows before killling a squad of goblin archers.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:46 am »

If you want to cheese it a bit (and I'm not sure if it'll work, though there is no reason it shouldn't), do the following

Make a chess-patterned walled room in front of the entrance, and station your melee dwarves there.

Something like this : (x - wall pillar)
 x x
x x x
 x x
x x x
 x x
x x x
 x x
x x x
 x x
x x x
 x x
x x x
 x x
x x x

You get the idea... Crossbows and bows should have a minimal range, and even if they don't, the goblins shouldn't be able to get a clear line of fire to any dwarf.

If anyone knows that this won't work, I'd appreciate them saying it now before I've wasted half an hour designing the room :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:57:14 am »

It won't eliminate their ability to shoot at dwarfs from a distance, but it will severely limit it, so there's that.
!!&!!

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:52:10 am »

It's possible I think that they could shoot diagonally in a chessboard pattern. However an elongated version of the pattern should limit line of sight options pretty well.

xx  xx  xx
  xx  xx
xx  xx  xx

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »

You might be best off with a single twisting corridor.

Code: [Select]
XXXXXX
    XX
    XX
    XX
XXXXXX
XX
XX
XX
XXXXXX
    XX
    XX
    XX

This way your guys will always be coming around a corner. And you should be within the minimum range of the crossbow. If you are close enough, they will not use their ranged weapons but instead try to use their bows as clubs.

grendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:14 pm »

tl;dr: good equipment and good training makes the full time military unstoppable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

24 felsite is bring you baby to repel the goblin siege day.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:13 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

I can see why i was getting shot up ... not only was the goblin Elite, but he did have *arrows* and *bow*, so if it's compounded, that's quite a skill boost.

I've noticed training seems to go faster the more advanced you are.  Once my military becomes elite, they very quickly become champions and before long they are superdwarvenly agile. At that point archers aren't much of a problem. Now I have six champion hammerdwarves. Still no elite marksdwarves but I've got so many with such a high turnover, none of them have been training for very long. The hammerdwarves are enough. It's nice to see them hammer a goblin into another one, stunning it ... rush over hammer that stunned one into another, stunning it ... etc. Had a four goblin chain tonight.

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »

Okay, the only thing worse than these guys has to be the Elite Orc Snipers. I just lost my first fortress in the Orc mod. One Elite Orc Sniper, the only ranged attack in the whole siege ... kills 3 elite marksdwarves behind fortifications from 20 squares away. He cripples the other three and sends them off to their bed. He had a steel bolt sticking out of each of his hands but no wounds. After that, the remaining army just swooped through my castle and steamrolled the Champions and Axelords.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:23:24 pm »

If you are really, really keen on the optimal defence against these kinds of units, I reckon this:
Code: [Select]
W = Wall
< = Up stairs
> = Down stairs
. = floor.

z=0
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
<WWW<WWW<WWW<WWW<WWW<W
WW<.WW<.WW<.WW<.WW<.WW
<WWW<WWW<WWW<WWW<WWW<W
WW<.WW<.WW<.WW<.WW<.WW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

z=1
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
>.WW>.WW>.WW>.WW>.WW>.
WW>WWW>WWW>WWW>WWW>WWW
>.WW>.WW>.WW>.WW>.WW>.
WW>WWW>WWW>WWW>WWW>WWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Essentially, the maximum distance that they will ever be able to fire is from 1 square away, but also this system has the advantage of being able to "stair ambush" the archers instantly (whereas other systems mean that the goblin will ALWAYS have a tile to potentially shoot your guy, this system has a chance that he won't).

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »

I remember fondly a half dead maceman sleeping in a barracks behind fortifications getting shot by accident because the real target walked away :P

And for some fun, set up a line of pressureplates that open a hatch behind the goblins, which is filled with military dwarves, so they don't get their gosh darn surprize attack.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:13 pm »

Pffft. hide everyone inside a narrow entrance way and then the moment the gobbos get close, rape them with a zerg rush. No-one survives. Except the dwarves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:25 pm »

Since I've been playing this orc mod, I'm usually on the wrong end of the raping. If there can be a right end.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 12:18:11 am »

I find the best counter for ranged troops is hammerdwarves.
Bear with me, here. This makes sense.

Now, you approach so their melee troops are between the dwarves and the crossbows, giving cover. Then you attack the melee troops, causing knockback. Any ranged troops hit by the melee troops are stunned, giving a lower number of arrows while you close the distance quickly and mix it up close.

This actually does work on infantry. I've tried it.
Beware of horse archers, though. They're NASTY. Good eatin' on those horses, though.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2