Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Strategy games with custom units/weapons  (Read 19843 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy games with custom units/weapons
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2009, 05:34:38 am »

A demo version of STARS! can be found at the wiki.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2009, 03:54:14 pm »

That's the case with any customizable game...

I tried REALLY hard to play a non-sniper in Fallout 3, but failed.

Grab the stealth suit from Anchorage, with that, you can do anything.

Or learn how to sneak properly(it takes a bit of practice) and see how raider react to being cr0wned 5 at a time in a single vats sequence at PB range.

Or, if you don't own any add-ons (neither do I, i got torrents :P), just use the combo of stealth boys and silenced 10mm. I mean, you empty a round on them and they just wander in your general direction. Just be careful that they don't touch you. Or, if you don't have the stealth boys, go for overkill and get the 10mm SMGs, they got all the overkilling pros of the Assault Rifle but no cons.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2009, 05:34:12 pm »

That's the case with any customizable game...

I tried REALLY hard to play a non-sniper in Fallout 3, but failed.

Grab the stealth suit from Anchorage, with that, you can do anything.

Or learn how to sneak properly(it takes a bit of practice) and see how raider react to being cr0wned 5 at a time in a single vats sequence at PB range.

Or, if you don't own any add-ons (neither do I, i got torrents :P), just use the combo of stealth boys and silenced 10mm. I mean, you empty a round on them and they just wander in your general direction. Just be careful that they don't touch you. Or, if you don't have the stealth boys, go for overkill and get the 10mm SMGs, they got all the overkilling pros of the Assault Rifle but no cons.

I just finished it (vanilla) using only melee and explosives. It worked really well, and it was more fun than I had with sniping.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Randall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2009, 05:59:31 pm »

A quick Google brought this up: http://sourceforge.net/projects/brikwars/

The customization is pretty deep and the game itself is pretty stable, although it lacks a few features, animations
and so on, as it's still in beta.

It looks pretty promising either way.  ;D

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2009, 06:03:27 pm »

A quick Google brought this up: http://sourceforge.net/projects/brikwars/

The customization is pretty deep and the game itself is pretty stable, although it lacks a few features, animations
and so on, as it's still in beta.

It looks pretty promising either way.  ;D
Yeah,I looked at that,but there seems to be little detail on it,and I've found very little public interest in it. Has anyone tried it?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2009, 06:06:05 pm »

And yeah, you do get to design units, but only in the sense that you select a number of pips from each design rating and hope you build enough before the heat death of the universe to conquer one other nation.  You also design their looks, but it's purely cosmetic, hard to even see, and each category of vehicle is made from just two (if that many) parts.

I actually took over NA,SA most of Africa and bits of Europe before the game crashed (3 days of play in and no saves...), but I started as the US, so that's kind of like cheating
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]