Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Strategy games with custom units/weapons  (Read 19837 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy games with custom units/weapons
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 05:21:42 pm »

He's either joking or referring to the powerful editor, which allows you to easily change everything but the model itself (meaning you can't modify or add new models.  You can of course choose which model a particular unit will use).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 07:28:48 pm »

Or talking about the hero units... With 4 inventory slots, they're pretty customizable.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »

There was some really sweet RTS, 3 factions and each could build mechs out of 5 parts (legs, arms, shoulder cannons/jetpack, shield) and normal units. That was really sweet since you could chop things of enemy mechs and put them on yours.
Metal fatigue?

Aye, that.

WC III Editor is the best editor I ever used. Its awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 07:56:40 pm »

The problem is, it's literally an entire difference of genre between games that let you externally edit a stock selection of units, and games that rely on you editing units of your own.  Anybody can alter data; unit creation as a gameplay factor is on a whole other plane.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 08:49:00 pm »

Not really what you're looking for (:P), but "strategy game with custom units" immediately brings to mind Impossible Creatures.

It's an RTS where all of your units are custom combinations between two different animals. You can choose which parts to take from which animal and that affects the final unit's abilities. Pretty fun.

It had online multiplayer though apparently the servers are down now. I think it's still possible to do somehow though, maybe using hamachi.
Seconded, it's worth noting that the changes aren't just cosmetic too, how you design your army will have a massive impact on how you play the game, give your creatures lots of abilities and be prepared to micromanage to hell if you want to win, alternatively go with the low upkeep abilities and just max raw stats if you only want to rush, try and combine both and prepare for a resources nightmare not to mention that fact that you will have very low tier units. Of course even that paragraph doesn't totally reveal the complexities of engineering the perfect army.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:48 pm »

Holy crap, how could I forget Metal Fatigue?!  I loved that game, though I never finished it... and then my HD died.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:00 pm »

I've been looking to get GalCiv2 recently, and I bumped into this on their Q&A:

Q: What kind of freedom can players expect in terms of designing their own spacecraft, and how important will this element be in the game?

We suspect that this will be one of the main highlights of the sequel. Players don't just choose what weapons and engines go on their ships, they can also add wings and add-ons and tails and all kinds of things onto their ships that are purely cosmetic. We basically give players a bunch of "lego" blocks and let them create whatever they want.

Also, here is a blog with the blogger putting together his six week game up to the end. It is pretty funny, and demonstrates how customizable the units are.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161570&site=pcg

I'm not sure if it is multi-player, but for me, I generally play strategy games alone.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:51 am »

Customization in GalCiv2 is NOT a big draw, and their tech trees are disappointing.

Remember that it says "purely cosmetic", that means "absolutely no in-game effect whatsoever in any way".  I got bored after making my first few, since I play the game zoomed out far enough that I never actually SEE my ships at all...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 02:34:45 am »

An ancient example of unit customization would be WarBreeds, a delightful little game about farming, gene research and brutal extermination.  Also, blue dogs with razor blades for heads.

It allowed for a reasonable amount of customization, allowing you to pick specific weapons for each of the creature's arm sockets (the number depended on which base creature you chose, of course), and also a head-mounted device if you're into that.

It was a rather decent game, all in all.  Good luck getting it to run on a modern system however...  Or even *finding* the damn thing.

In other news, I did a lot of random experiments in Impossible Creatures.  Most of my designs were purely aesthetic, but I did try some interesting things to max out particular aspects.  For instance, I found that for the combination for the absolute highest amount of damage dealt was in fact a sperm whale with the head and legs of a dragonfly.  The thing looked horribly bizarre.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 02:49:08 am »

In other news, I did a lot of random experiments in Impossible Creatures.  Most of my designs were purely aesthetic, but I did try some interesting things to max out particular aspects.  For instance, I found that for the combination for the absolute highest amount of damage dealt was in fact a sperm whale with the head and legs of a dragonfly.  The thing looked horribly bizarre.
Got a pic?

And yeah,I've been fascinated by Impossible creatures for some time,had a opportunity to get it to,but I had no idea what it was at the time and thus wasn't particularly interested. Never managed a chance at getting it since.

Yes I know there's amazon or Ebay,but I never really care to use it.Call it a developed fear.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:18 pm »

I'm not sure if it is multi-player, but for me, I generally play strategy games alone.

It's not, which I learned to my disappointment recently when trying to set up a hotseat game of it. I'd counter Sowelu's claim that customization isn't a big draw. Sure, putting cosmetic bits on isn't, but the choice of functional parts (three weapons/defences, engines, sensors, etc.) is done in the same way, and choosing appropriately to your situation is quite important.

If you want a similar style of game, but with a bit more variation and multiplayer, see if you can find a copy of STARS! somewhere. It's really old, but quite fun, and all of the ships are fully customizable within their slot layouts.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »

It's not, which I learned to my disappointment recently when trying to set up a hotseat game of it. I'd counter Sowelu's claim that customization isn't a big draw. Sure, putting cosmetic bits on isn't, but the choice of functional parts (three weapons/defences, engines, sensors, etc.) is done in the same way, and choosing appropriately to your situation is quite important.

If you want a similar style of game, but with a bit more variation and multiplayer, see if you can find a copy of STARS! somewhere. It's really old, but quite fun, and all of the ships are fully customizable within their slot layouts.

Too bad you probably can't get a coppy of it anywhere though ;)

In other words, Imperium Galactica 1 and 2 had a fair bit of costomization, but this time it was everything but cosmetic. You could slap a lot of stuff on your ships but the looks didn't change. Oh and if you manage to get it to run on vista, drop me a message ;)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:22 pm »

Unit customization has been a new and exciting thing for me, lately. I just discovered the 2150 series, and I'm popping' in the BIN file of Warzone 2100 now. From what I've heard, they're basically the same animal.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 05:10:43 am »

Sword of the Stars has a fair bit of ship customuzation and rts battles. especially with the expansion packs.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5