Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: There's a dead dwarf in the well.  (Read 1171 times)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
There's a dead dwarf in the well.
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:54:12 pm »

He was knocked in by a cave-in.

The rest of the dwarves, daft creatures, continue to party around and drink out of the well like nothing happened.

How do I get the body out of the aquifer?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a dead dwarf in the well.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:14 pm »

Unless you go and pump the water out of your way, I'm not so sure you can get him out.  You might want to in the off chance it pollutes the water(making the dwarves refuse to drink it).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:00:12 pm »

Seal off the well cistern from the water source and pump it out.

You do have a drainage system in place, right?  ;D

When working with water or magma, always, always have a failsafe system in place. Always have a killswitch or lever or emergency drain.

Or if you don't mind waiting, just seal off the cistern and let the dwarves drink the cistern dry. You may have to cut off their booze supply to encourage them to drink the well dry.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:05:21 pm »

Hyndis' advice

I think you missed the part about the aquifer.

Anyways, you'd have to do some annoying mechanical thing to get the body out. This is why it's a good idea to have a way out of the well for your dwarves in case they fall in.

Fortunately, with an aquifer, it should be relatively painless to get a pump going.

Code: [Select]

z+0
######
#_%%=#
#_%%=#
#_%%=#
######

z-1
######
#~##^#
#~##.#
#~##^#
######

# = wall
= = water wheel
^ = up ramp
. = floor
_ = channel
~ = water
%% = pump

Dig this or a similar mechanical device around where the body is and you should be able to get the body out pretty easily, with no chance of flooding the rest of your fortress.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:31:21 pm »

You use the stairway you build when you dug the well.  You know, the emergency escape that is recommended in every article about wells, so that dwarfs who fall into them can self-rescue, and you can recover the valuables that they drop.

That stairway.

(Alternately, you join us who learn by our mistakes - and welcome.  ;) )

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »

Seeing as all the answers I could think of are said, time for joke time!

Get a collie. The dog will alert your dwarves of the plight in the wall and fish him out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:39:36 pm »

You use the stairway you build when you dug the well.  You know, the emergency escape that is recommended in every article about wells, so that dwarfs who fall into them can self-rescue, and you can recover the valuables that they drop.

That stairway.

The aquifer filled it to 7/7 on the level of the dead dwarf, so no one will use it.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:14:55 pm »

That stairway.

The aquifer filled it to 7/7 on the level of the dead dwarf, so no one will use it.

Once again, you must clear the water with pumps if you want to get down there to your corpse.  It's easy to do this with aquifers because you can just pump the water out of your way and right back into the aquifer.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:21:30 pm »

For clarification, you can pump water out of an aquifer faster than the aquifer leaks water in. If you don't know about screw pumps, no time like the present to learn.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:20 pm »

why not just add the tag [AMPHIBIOUS] to them so they can just go get him saftly?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:15:00 pm »

I got two pumps running with no apparent change in water level. Adding [AMPHIBIOUS] though... why didn't I think of that?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:06 pm »

why not just add the tag [AMPHIBIOUS] to them so they can just go get him saftly?

Never tried, but I understand dwarves have a hard time with aquatic pathing.  As in, it just doesn't work correctly because they're specifically intended NOT to do that.

I got two pumps running with no apparent change in water level. Adding [AMPHIBIOUS] though... why didn't I think of that?

Well, clearly you need more than two.  Pumps remove liquid faster than it flows in if and only if there's enough of them.  Aquifers are big and have water coming in from all directions, so it does take a tiny bit of extra effort to clear them...which is completely negated by the fact that the water you pump out of an aquifer can be immediately pumped right back into them.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 11:53:38 pm »

[AMPHIBIOUS] didn't work, and then the fortress was destroyed by orcs anyway, but I've learned something for next time.  :)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:55:39 pm »

[AMPHIBIOUS] didn't work, and then the fortress was destroyed by orcs anyway, but I've learned something for next time.  :)

That's what this game is all about.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:07:03 am »

That's what this game is all about.

now u know losing is fun =D
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2