Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Secretive Dwarf  (Read 494 times)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secretive Dwarf
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:49:41 pm »

In my fortress I've got one of my weaponsmith's looking for shining metal bars, he's gone secretive, but it probably wouldn't matter what mood he was in. I can tell that he wants more than one by how long it stays up, but he has yet to grab any bars from the few I have. He may just need more than I currently possess, but, my question is if he needs a certain kind of bar, or will he just use any?

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secretive Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:04 pm »

Check that dwarf's profile to see if he likes any particular kind of metal. He may want that specifically.

I don't personally know if he will fail to take any of a bar of metal if there is an insufficient amount for his artifact.

Another safe bet (if you have the time and caravan access) is to get some of every bar of metal from caravans every season and forbid (or just don't use) the ones that you don't have access to normally.

Edit: I also do this with stones, small gems and wood just to be sure.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:56:05 pm »

Moody dwarves seem to grab all of one kind of material according to what they're requesting. So a dwarf will try to grab all aluminum bars, instead of one aluminum bar, one lay pewter, and one iron bar.

So whatever metal he's grabbed, you probably need more of.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:57:57 pm »

Alright, hopefully I can find out what he wants before he goes insane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »

I haven't had any problem with the stone part, they usually just grab the nearest rock and I generally end up with a variety of stone types anyway.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:05 pm »

't' over the building. You can find out what he's grabbed so far by scrolling to the bottom of the list and looking at what items have TSK by them.

It could be something else, like silk or turtle shell.

Compare the list of items he's grabbed with what he's requesting. Moody dwarves grab things in order, so the first item he doesn't have is the one that is giving him problems.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »

't' over the building. You can find out what he's grabbed so far by scrolling to the bottom of the list and looking at what items have TSK by them.

It could be something else, like silk or turtle shell.

Compare the list of items he's grabbed with what he's requesting. Moody dwarves grab things in order, so the first item he doesn't have is the one that is giving him problems.

I had all the stuff, not sure what kind of metal he wanted, or what kind I was supposed to be making, but he want insane... Melancholy at least.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:39:21 pm »

Did you check their profile (<v, p, z, Enter>) to see what was their favorite metal? Every dwarf has one type of stone, metal, and gem that they like - plus other stuff at random.

That might have been a big clue.