Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dorf House  (Read 2254 times)

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
Dorf House
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »

Japanse Dorfs, but that is a CLEAR indicator for me on some really dwarven engineering.

http://www.yatzer.com/1773_primitive_living_in_saijo,_hiroshima
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf House
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:06 pm »

I couldn't be bothered to read it, but those pictures looked really impressive. A huge, black monolith jutting from the ground, like an ancient temple of the Great Ones of old. I'd like to have a few of those in my neighbourhood.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »

It does look cool, but houses with tilted walls are a pain in the butt.

Comments are typical a anti-American(western) sentiment.  Apparently not wanting a house where you can't hang anything on the walls is being culturally elitist.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:17:49 pm »

Pretty, i wound't mind living in one, but i'd like more insight on how it looks inside. Make it larger and put a few more windows on the upper levels and it'd be my dream house.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:05:50 pm »

It looks like my external hard drive.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »

I couldn't be bothered to read it, but those pictures looked really impressive. A huge, black monolith jutting from the ground, like an ancient temple of the Great Ones of old. I'd like to have a few of those in my neighbourhood.
It certianly would break up the monotony that the suburb seems to be in the US... Then again, anything that is not a squat vaugely-rectangular thing with a sloping roof would.

Comments are typical a anti-American(western) sentiment.  Apparently not wanting a house where you can't hang anything on the walls is being culturally elitist.
I don't see any reason why you coulden't hang a picture on the wall... Or better yet, just have your Legendary Detailer come by and make some engraved walls instead. :D

Pretty, i wound't mind living in one, but i'd like more insight on how it looks inside. Make it larger and put a few more windows on the upper levels and it'd be my dream house.

First, love your sig. Favorite quote of mine.

Second, the article has a bunch of pictures on what it looks like inside--basically a large 'studio' space with minimal walls and a CENTRAL STAIRCASE which is what really makes it dwarfy for me. But then again I usually have stairs all over the place in my fortresses. I like being able to quickly move stone from place to place.
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:37:41 pm »

I don't see any reason why you coulden't hang a picture on the wall... Or better yet, just have your Legendary Detailer come by and make some engraved walls instead. :D

On the wall is an image of a monolith and Men of Japan. The Men of Japan are laboring. This image relates to the raising of FutureMonolith the Steel Primitive Pit-House in Saijo in 2007.

On the wall is an image of Men of America. The Men of America are weeping. This image relates to teh reaction in 2009 of the raising of FutureMonolith the Steel Primitive Pit-House in Saijo in 2007.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:52 pm »

I would first like to site the millions around the world who live in "anything that is ... a squat vaugely-rectangular thing with a sloping roof", and are not in the US. We have thousands of examples of houses that are not like that. While I can understand some US bashing, I cannot stand for complaints with no base whatsoever. We have low-cost housing. Judge our entire population and creativity on how we house those who want a cheap home?

But yes, this seems largely impractical. As cool as it looks, it is more of an art piece than a home. I find it amusing that the artist made this to teach the 'western world' to break the rules. You know, because our crazy houses follow rules.

I really don't want to see patronizing from this post, but it looks like many other concept homes that have been designed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:45:15 pm »

I would first like to site the millions around the world who live in "anything that is ... a squat vaugely-rectangular thing with a sloping roof", and are not in the US. We have thousands of examples of houses that are not like that. While I can understand some US bashing, I cannot stand for complaints with no base whatsoever. We have low-cost housing. Judge our entire population and creativity on how we house those who want a cheap home?

But yes, this seems largely impractical. As cool as it looks, it is more of an art piece than a home. I find it amusing that the artist made this to teach the 'western world' to break the rules. You know, because our crazy houses follow rules.

I really don't want to see patronizing from this post, but it looks like many other concept homes that have been designed.
Oy vey...

I'm not bashing, I am just saying that if you look at what most houses are in Suburbia in the USA you will find that they are all 'cookie-cutter' houses that look almost exactly alike or they change one feature on the house to make it 'different' from the others. It is a statement of fact, as I live in a house that is exactly the same as the one next to it--except it is mirrored.

A little change is nice. I'm not saying U have to live in it, I am just thankful that there are some options out there and some people are thinking outside the box. (See what I did there?)

Now stop being so dang critical of everything... If I wanted that, I wouldn't be playing a game where a Dragon takes up the same space as a kitten--and both can fit inside the same wooden cage. OI! :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:51:07 pm »

My criticality is towards the idea that it is a problem localized to America. While I would appreciate more inspiration in housing designs, generally such houses are not designed for style but practicality. Such designs are used world wide. Again, while I know the issue exists I take offense to the idea America is the only one who needs to learn from this. Then again, the site did say western countries so I guess Europe is in this with them.

A monolith house would be cool, but there appears to be very little livable space. And a lack of guard rails.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »

I am part of a percentage that says we should remove the things that keep us safe and well protected from obvious dangers... Things like, "Warning! Toothpicks should not be jabbed into your gums until they bleed." and handrails on things that are up high.

I think we coddle the weak and stupid far too much, and as a result our population grows fat and lazy with all of the thinking done so they do not have to. I say this not just for the USA, but for the entire human race.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:59 pm »

I am part of a percentage that says we should remove the things that keep us safe and well protected from obvious dangers... Things like, "Warning! Toothpicks should not be jabbed into your gums until they bleed." and handrails on things that are up high.

I think we coddle the weak and stupid far too much, and as a result our population grows fat and lazy with all of the thinking done so they do not have to. I say this not just for the USA, but for the entire human race.
This I'm perfectly fine with, to an extent. Just don't specify something to a denomination when it isn't exclusive to that denomination.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 01:18:42 am »

This is exactly the kind of haughty, ugly architectural masturbation I hate.  First off the space in incredibly impractical and inefficient, the upper most room is described as a child's room yet it has a gaping and dangerous hole in the middle.  The whole thing is called a pit-house and tries to claim this is some how both Japaneses and primitive.  But a pit-house is a primitive dwelling common to virtually all stone-age peoples the world over and consists of a pit a few feet deep covered with simple leaning logs and thatch covering.  This thing is not even remotely primitive being a steel and concreted nor is it's half sunken first floor make it a pit-house.  I'll admit that the house is Japanese in the sense that its a useless and ugly 'house-as-art' designed, built and lived in by a the one person who would be willing to actually do so.  Japan seems to have more then it's fair share of these artist/architect wannabees.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:23:43 am »

Heh, there's quite a few houses here in Belgium with their ground floor as a pit and a roughly pyramidal structure.  They usually have regular roofs though, so they only stand out due to their roof going all the way down.
Then again, a lot of places in Belgium have no real restrictions on design, so you often see a Spanish villa next to a Swiss log cabin.  There's these big housing projects that all look the same, but hardly anyone really likes those.  Even in historic towns and cities, some old houses get torn down and replaced by modern ones.  It's a real mish-mash.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:23:40 am »

At the end of the day, it's a lot cheaper to make a row of houses in the same style.

There is also a 'right' way to build a house, that is, that maximizes peoples ability to use the space, creates public and private spaces, handles daylight and ventilation correctly, etc.  Given that long list of design considerations, it reduces the available shapes that 'good' houses can come in.  (At 100 dollars a square foot, sloping walls add something like 10% to the cost per usable sqrft.)

You can get a unique house, or you can get a house with 10-20% more living space for the same cost (that is, the same chunk taken out of other peoples lives to do work for you).

Then, on top of that, add resale value.  You'll have to find someone who values your brand of unique (style varies by person, efficiency does not).  That's going to be hard to do, and push the resale value below the cost to build.

(don't get me wrong, I like cool houses, but I also like living space, and have made that trade off)

/rant
Pages: [1] 2